Prospect Info: Jacob Bryson (2017, 99th) signed 3 year ELC, ATO with Rochester

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on what I know of Jbud's preferences. That's good enough for me.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Well I hope they know what they are doing. If they are taking wild chances like that I sure would like them taking a chance on Reilly Webb.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
After I read more on Davidsson and Laakssonen, this pick fits the theme of the weekend: skating is strong, big upside, quick decisions, IQ, etc

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Nice to see a guy from my hometown be drafted I guess? Hopefully he'll do better than the other Londoner ex-Sabres (Hackett, Mancari, Cody was nice but injuries..., Soupy was from a bit further out)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
FC has him at 167:

JACOB BRYSON 167
NOV 18, 1997 LONDON, ON
POSITION: D SHOOTS: L
HEIGHT: 5’9 WEIGHT: 185
Bryson is a smaller, but highly-skilled, defenseman who is effective in both the offensive and defensive zones. He is an above-average skater who displays strong ability to get back into correct position after jumping up on the attack or when retreating after pinching in from the blue line. He is quick and agile, and is able to dart laterally and skate around defenders or forecheckers. His hands are ultra-quick and creative with the puck. Bryson can quickly deke past his check at the point and cruise in closer to the net for a better look. He has a strong shot with little wind up, getting it through lanes and on net. His passing accuracy is inconsistent and he sometimes goes for the risky, creative play instead of the safe play. He is a smaller-framed defenseman who compensates for his lack of size with his tenacity, sense of urgency and ability to quickly advance the puck out of his zone. Bryson can be hard to beat along the wall, and has a rather strong defensively active stick. His ability to poke-check the puck off the attacker, dead ending the attack, is efficient. He compensates for his size with his mobility and stick play. He
has the ability to generate and create scoring chances, and is extremely solid and hard to beat on the back-end.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Kicked the tires on this kid years ago for the program I work for. Had interest from almost every Hockey East school. I had hoped he'd grow a little bit more but has enough skill and the speed to make it work at his size.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Providence lost Florentino, McKenzie, Monk, and Walman, while returning Bryson, Desharnais, and Young on defense. Bryson's role should be prominent this season and starts with a pair of games against Miami this weekend.
"The goal this year is pretty simple," Leaman said. "We turned over four defensemen and we have to make sure we bring those new guys along. A big chunk of our young guys last year were our forwards, and now we have a similar situation with our defense. We need to make sure that we can bring those guys along. I really believe the success of our team will depend on whether or not those guys come along.

"We obviously can't have guys like Bryson, Desharnais or Young get injured, because they're also going to have to shoulder a lot of the load, especially at the beginning. We're fortunate to get a transfer in Tommy Davis, who has some college experience. That will help us also. Then we need to bring Ben, Jeff and Jake along as quickly as we can. They all have good ability but there is so much learning at this level, especially for that position."
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/10/03_Providence-Needs-Defense.php

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bryson was checked from behind not even 30 seconds into Saturday night's game at Miami but fortunately was right back out there on the first shift of the major PP; here was that check:

Pictured on the left point, Bryson registered a secondary assist in the last minute of that PP for a 2-0 lead:

Pictured on the left wall, Bryson throws a loose puck towards the net front in the dying seconds and it's banged in for the win:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bryson played a simple game in their 4-3 OT loss to BC. He was mostly seen winning puck retrieval races behind his net and immediately getting the puck to his outlets along the wall for easy zone exits. I noticed he had a few keep-ins too. Bryson's d-zone coverage was loose maybe 2-3 times at most, straying outside the dots twice, but never seemed to be hemmed in or under high danger. He didn't factor into the opening PC goal, but got a plus for standing at the right point. He also got a phantom minus on Fitzgerald's first goal, as he wasn't on the ice. Pictured below are Bryson possibly getting a stick on the puck twice defending a 3v1 and his chance that followed at the other end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad