Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Drafting overagers seems to be an interesting strategy, I wonder if the hope is that they will be further along & NHL ready around the same time as their other young prospects when this team is ready to challenge for a playoff spot & eventually a SC. The drafting strategy also seems to be to get bigger, tougher & stronger at every position building a playoff team rather than a regular season team.

It should be very interesting who they decide to make their team not this season, but the following season when so many of these prospects should be at training camp & challenging for a spot. These are the guys that are most intriguing to me to challenge for spots in 2021 - 2022 season. Clearly not all will make it, some might take longer & some people might have a few other prospects in mind who could also challenge, but that's a lot of prospects coming within the next couple of yrs. That's going to be a lot of turnover for the next few yrs depending how many they can add each yr & they have another 5 picks in the first 3 rds of the 2021 draft. Belleville should also be pretty strong if the guys who don't make Ottawa end up playing in Belleville.

L. Brown, Batherson, Norris, Stuetzle, Pinto, Formenton, Sokolov, Jarventie, Kastelic, Sokolov, Engstrand, Brannstrom, Thomson, Daccord, Gustavsson, Sanderson & Kleven.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
going back to JBD where do you folks project him? 1sr pairing or 2nd paring??
I think what pairing he ends up on depends on chemistry more so than how well he develops. He won't likely be "the guy" on his pair with Sanderson and Chabot on the team, his role will be complimentary, so it will come down to the role and fit of the pairings.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think what pairing he ends up on depends on chemistry more so than how well he develops. He won't likely be "the guy" on his pair with Sanderson and Chabot on the team, his role will be complimentary, so it will come down to the role and fit of the pairings.

Absolutely this is true. It will come down to chemistry between Chabot Sanderson Brannstrom and JBD. Logically to me I'd try Brannstrom and Sanderson which pairs up the biggest with the smallest and also might be the best defensively with the weakest defensively

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Absolutely this is true. It will come down to chemistry between Chabot Sanderson Brannstrom and JBD. Logically to me I'd try Brannstrom and Sanderson which pairs up the biggest with the smallest and also might be the best defensively with the weakest defensively

However that puts your weakest dman on the ice with your best who you may want to match up vs the other teams top offensive lines and you just handed a coach a pairing of his best forward(s) vs your weakest dman.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I kind of like the idea of chabot with brannstrom. They had a couple shifts together last yr and seemed to fit pretty well

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Sanderson and JBD are slated to be the shut down pair at UND and they should play a lot. I think the right side of the Sens is more difficult to project at the moment and it will take some time for them to sort it out. I am projecting JBD to play with one of Sanderson or Chabot and he could see time with Chabot early on and if he's the best suited move to play with Sanderson in a shut down role here. Looking down the road a little more .. Kleven is likely penciled in as the 3rd pair LD.. Brannstrom and Wolanin have a 4ish year window (or less) to increase their value as NHL D men.. but there are only so many spots. Listening to Troy Mann and from what Dorion et al said last year about wanting Brannstrom on the left, I think that's where he has to find a spot. Obviously there is always a chance one of those move to play their offside if there are no better options.. but better is in the eye of the beholder and the key beholders are going to be Dorion and the coaching staff. Brown could be the other 3rd pairing guy he'll be 30 in 4 years if they keep him that long. We need another true top 4 RD. Maybe Zub; Maybe Guenette; maybe someone we draft or acquire. One thing is for sure we have to improve on Gudbranson, Zaitsev, Brown on that side.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think Sanderson and JBD are slated to be the shut down pair at UND and they should play a lot. I think the right side of the Sens is more difficult to project at the moment and it will take some time for them to sort it out. I am projecting JBD to play with one of Sanderson or Chabot and he could see time with Chabot early on and if he's the best suited move to play with Sanderson in a shut down role here. Looking down the road a little more .. Kleven is likely penciled in as the 3rd pair LD.. Brannstrom and Wolanin have a 4ish year window (or less) to increase their value as NHL D men.. but there are only so many spots. Listening to Troy Mann and from what Dorion et al said last year about wanting Brannstrom on the left, I think that's where he has to find a spot. Obviously there is always a chance one of those move to play their offside if there are no better options.. but better is in the eye of the beholder and the key beholders are going to be Dorion and the coaching staff. Brown could be the other 3rd pairing guy he'll be 30 in 4 years if they keep him that long. We need another true top 4 RD. Maybe Zub; Maybe Guenette; maybe someone we draft or acquire. One thing is for sure we have to improve on Gudbranson, Zaitsev, Brown on that side.
Brannstrom has to force their hand. if he plays out of this world he has to play on his offside because chabot and sanderson certainly will not and they cant bury him on the third pairing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom has to force their hand. if he plays out of this world he has to play on his offside because chabot and sanderson certainly will not and they cant bury him on the third pairing.
This year? Probably not. Next year .. is a maybe imo. Neither Brannstrom nor Wolanin are your ideal 3rd pairing guys.. they'll be in a battle. It sucks for Wolanin he missed so much time last year his advantage narrowed but I think he has a leg up this year and he has to take advantage and stay healthy. Past that we'll have to wait and see ... a lot can happen. Brannstrom can certainly knock down the door playing in the AHL .. but this year even that seems very different with the covid situation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This year? Probably not. Next year .. is a maybe imo. Neither Brannstrom nor Wolanin are your ideal 3rd pairing guys.. they'll be in a battle. It sucks for Wolanin he missed so much time last year his advantage narrowed but I think he has a leg up this year and he has to take advantage and stay healthy. Past that we'll have to wait and see ... a lot can happen. Brannstrom can certainly knock down the door playing in the AHL .. but this year even that seems very different with the covid situation.
no not this year.. when this core is more mature. like if you have Chabot, Sanderson, brannstrom, JBD all playing great, i think you move brannstrom to the right on one of the top two pairs there instead of putting him on the third pair.

this coming year i would bet brannstrom plays in belleville. wolanin likely on the second pair with one of the righties.. not sure it matters which ones,

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
no not this year.. when this core is more mature. like if you have Chabot, Sanderson, brannstrom, JBD all playing great, i think you move brannstrom to the right on one of the top two pairs there instead of putting him on the third pair.

this coming year i would bet brannstrom plays in belleville. wolanin likely on the second pair with one of the righties.. not sure it matters which ones,
Could happen. Just seems there is resistance to play him on that side.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Many are high on JBD and low on EB. Brann appears much further developed as 21 year old starting the eventual 2020-21 season compared to where JBD will be next season at 21 starting the 2021-22 season.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Many are high on JBD and low on EB. Brann appears much further developed as 21 year old starting the eventual 2020-21 season compared to where JBD will be next season at 21 starting the 2021-22 season.

Based on what though? And who do you mean by "many"?

Judging by the recent HF prospect rankings, it was not even close:

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #5

65 votes for Brann
6 votes for JBD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad