Jackie Robinson Baseball ATD (Comments Only)

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
history-of-american-baseball-poster-large.jpg

Please post all comments and questions in this thread. It is designed primarily as a fun competition, but of greater importance is to honor the history of baseball and the players that have shaped the game, from the early beginnings to the present day. GMs can invite other posters, friends, or relatives. The only requirement is that all GMs must be a registered user using their own account to post.

Wrigley - Toledo Mud Hens
Tecumseh - Indianapolis Clowns
Vegeta - Hanshin Tigers
Winger For Hire - Hartford Yard Goats
Fenway - Boston Burping Clams
sarge88 - Altimore Borioles
Dr Pepper - Montreal Expos

Pwnasaurus said:
Rules

0. Send in the number of games a series went (4-3 for example) when you vote.

1. NEVER mention an undrafted player. It is poor etiquette. If quoting a source about a player you’re drafting, simply substitute the undrafted player with XXXX XXXX.

2. The time limit changes throughout the draft. This will be how it runs:

Round 1-2: 24 Hour Time Limit
Round 3-7: 12 Hour Time Limit
Round 8-22: 8 Hour Time Limit

If you are not sure whether you will be available to make your pick within the allotted time, please send a list of players to someone who will be there for that time. This way the draft can progress nicely. If you are skipped, you're skipped until you get caught up with all your picks.

3. You MUST send a private message to the next GM to alert them that it is their turn. This is mandatory and it is crucial to the draft going smoothly. You should also change your board preferences so that you receive an email when you receive a PM. Many have found that this ensures that when it's your turn, you know as soon as possible.

4. Please be advised that it is MANDATORY to vote if you expect to participate in the next All-Time Draft. Put some effort into it. It's only fair that the best team wins. You can make your votes based on whatever criteria are important to you, but we are all expected to have an open mind and listen to the arguments for why each roster is better.

5. The draft is 22 rounds long. Each team will make 22 picks with one player at each position and one manager alongside extra bench players.

6. Trades are allowed, but are certainly not essential to winning or doing better. You can trade a player you've already drafted, as well as future picks. Trading conversations are always held via PM, but you may announce that you are shopping a pick or looking to move up/down to get the attention of other GMs. You must always trade one asset for another asset. (or 2 for 2, or 3 for 3, etc) (no 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 deals or else you wouldn't end up with 22 picks)

7. When making a pick, you should be posting at least three lines about the player. This can be in your own words or copied and pasted from a cited source. This is done for a couple of reasons: 1) To prove that you know something about him/have researched him. 2) To show the other GMs why this is a good pick.

8. DO NOT MENTION UNDRAFTED PLAYERS.

Co-Gm's are allowed and encouraged. No more than 2 GM's to a team though.

A manager who also played as a player, must only be selected as one or the other. This means certain athletes could be selected twice in this draft by either the same or a different team in such cases.

If you select a player who played most of his career at 1B but played for 2 years at LF, and choose him to play left field, this will downgrade the player's ability to play LF. It's a risk that you can make but you have a better chance of winning if you have everyone at their natural position.

You will need to have at least a Manager, a C, a 1B, a 2B, a 3B, a SS, each outfield position (RF,CF, LF), 5 SP, and a closer. Similar to the position players, if you move a reliever to a starter or vice versa, then that will affect how effective your player will be.

NO DH

FOR PLAYOFFS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THAT VOTING IS DONE REGULARLY and if you want to stay for another Baseball ATD then it is a good idea to vote because it will give us the mindset that you care about the draft and not just your team.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I'm in, Hanshin Tigers.
Nice! So is Tecumseh and Winger for Hire!

Edit: You can draft any players who played in the Negro Leagues, but only their post-1946 career counts, so for example all of Jackie Robinson's MLB career counts. All Japanese players are also welcome. Players who retired before 1947 and players with a bWAR below 10 can be mentioned during the draft. Please post all comments or questions in this thread or the conversation. Not picks or rosters.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I’ll be making my selection shortly so that we can get the ball rolling on this draft.
Thanks. I've been recruiting hard even today, but no luck so far. I'm really looking forward to your pick and this draft. The draft list is done.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
The Bill Madlock pick was a fake pick by some guy who registered today and was not made by Fenway.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
OK, is there a cutoff year? Obviously, Yaz doesn't meet the criteria. Is 1960 the cutoff (expansion)?

"
RankPlayer (age that year)WAR Position PlayersYearBats
1.Babe Ruth+ (28)14.11923L
2.Babe Ruth+ (26)12.91921L
3.Carl Yastrzemski+ (27)12.51967L
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

There's no cutoff and Yaz meets the criteria. I just thought you may want someone else. If not, cool, sorry to bother you, stick with him and please pm sarge88 and if you haven't already. His 1967 season is 3rd in Career Leaders & Records for Wins Above Replacement. Here's the link: Single-Season Leaders &amp Records for WAR Position Players | Baseball-Reference.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenway

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just FYI

I’m visiting colleges this weekend with the family so I’m kind of limited in what articles and comments I post to support my picks.

I’ll definitely keep up with my picks but probably will go back and add to the narrative of each one later.

Reactions: Wrigley

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Just FYI I’m visiting colleges this weekend with the family so I’m kind of limited in what articles and comments I post to support my picks. I’ll definitely keep up with my picks but probably will go back and add to the narrative of each one later.
No problem. I'm doing the same thing this year as soon as my son re-takes the SAT. He got a 29 on his ACT so we're pretty happy. We moved from Chicago to Atlanta last year and he wants to study computers. GA Tech is top 25 and his grades (4.0+ in all honors and AP classes) and test scores guarantee him U of GA admission so he's in good shape. :)

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad