Movies: Jackie (Natalie Portman)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hopfeully its good but im always skeptical about biopics.

They're almost always horribly boring and cheesy despite all the nominations they get.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I saw it today. I thought it was well done - Portman was extremely good. The one thing I'd say is that, while I understand, that for large portions of the film, her characterization was intended to be remote, I found something quite remote about the film itself - while I enjoyed it and appreciated it, I wasn't all that engaged by it.

Hopfeully its good but im always skeptical about biopics.

They're almost always horribly boring and cheesy despite all the nominations they get.

It's not cheesy at all. I also didn't find it boring (although I found it distant at times).

'Biopic' isn't a great descriptive of it - the movie covers the span of a few days (between JFK's death and funeral) and her subsequent interview with Life Magazine.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well directed by Pablo Larrain and rather daringly acted by Natalie Portman, but somehow chilly and slightly academic. Is anybody going to care all that much about its modest revelations from more than half a century ago?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Well directed by Pablo Larrain and rather daringly acted by Natalie Portman, but somehow chilly and slightly academic. Is anybody going to care all that much about its modest revelations from more than half a century ago?

I didn't. But I found the reenactment portions interesting - I liked the way they integrated historical footage into the film itself...including the way that on the White House Tour portion, Jackie's voice was used for a lot of it...I thought that was a creative touch.

The high point of the film was Portman's performance.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Portman seems the only reason to watch. Can't see this film doing anything other than a Best Actress nom. I don't like Portman as an actress so can't say I'm all that interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad