Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Wennberg to a 6 year deal, 4.9mil AAV

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure what you're going for here but within Joey's bridge deal was a final year of $6M as I recall, which automatically puts him above $6M AAV on his next contract unless he wasn't qualified and dropped of the face of the earth. I don't think he's worth $3.1M AAV more than Wennberg.

Two different players. I'd love to still have both but gladly take Seth Jones and Wennberg at their current rates.

and for just about every other reason I can think of

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm not sure what you're going for here but within Joey's bridge deal was a final year of $6M as I recall, which automatically puts him above $6M AAV on his next contract unless he wasn't qualified and dropped of the face of the earth. I don't think he's worth $3.1M AAV more than Wennberg.

Two different players. I'd love to still have both but gladly take Seth Jones and Wennberg at their current rates.

First line Center (Wennberg) and #1 defenseman (Jones) will cost us $10.3 million AAV.

First line Center (Johansen) will cost Nashville $8.0 million AAV.

I'll take what we have over what we could have had.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The irony of the Johansen or Jones argument is this: for the CBJ to be the team we want them to be, we need BOTH Jones and a Johansen type player. That's IN ADDITION to Wennberg.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Wennberg may have agreed to less money to help the team, and because he wanted to be a Blue Jacket for years to come. And he wouldn't be the first player in this league to sign for less then they could have gotten. Crosby, and Stamkos to name a couple.

Now let's get Anderson locked up.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

His AAV was $4 million on his bridge. It was structured so that he would have a $6 million final year for a variety of reasons.

Johansen was technically an RFA this season. However, he would have been a UFA for the 2018-19 season. His contract essentially paid him like a UFA-which it should have. Wennberg still had 4 years of RFA ahead of him. The CBJ FO had no reason to pay him like Johansen even if was as good as him-which he isn't.

Wennberg didn't come at any discount. He has 28 career goals. Signing a $30 million deal for that type of goal production for a forward is not an act of charity on behalf of the player.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jarmo is doing something exceptionally well with contracts with no trade clauses and bonus money.

In the case of Wennberg, he also managed to have him take bigger cash salaries as the contract progresses. He's got him earning a big number in the lockout/strike years.

The lack of no trade clauses (only Bob and Dubinsky have full and Foligno has a limited one) and the complete absence of bonus money on the payroll give the FO a great deal of trade and buyout flexibility. If one looks at Detroit's or Dallas' roster on capfriendly.com, it's striking how much more flexibility the CBJ have. I know Nashville has even less restrictions, but I'll guess that the CBJ are in the top 5 in terms of freedom from no movement clauses and they're the top in terms of the bonus money payments which make buyouts next to impossible.

I hope that this continues to be the modus operandi of the FO. Flexibility to trade and buyout is nothing but good.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think he's worth $3.1M AAV more than Wennberg.

Johansen really isn't worth 8 million however Johansen has the potential to score 30 goals. Wennberg actually does, but he's shown no desire to.At this point you can use Johansen in every situation. I wouldn't use Wennberg for defensive zone draws in close games. Different players at different points in their careers. The Wennberg deal hopefully should get better and better as we move forward. There are still plenty of flaws in Wennberg's game but he's improving every year.

What will be interesting is the Anderson deal. We're very likely to spend more than we should or want to. His goal scoring total was a product of shooting way over the league average.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Feels like a huge win for the team to me... and hopefully the flexibility it leaves makes the next two years easier.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
From this post you'd think McDavid was a 40 goal scorer or something. That he makes guys like Maroon into 30 goal scorers is why McDavid makes $12.5m a year.

Nicklas Backstrom averages about 20g a year and is widely considered underpaid at $6.7m per.

Henrik Sedin averaged about 15g a year and makes $7m per.

Joe ******* Thornton averaged a bit over 20g a year and makes $8m per.

Getzlaf is more volatile but has topped 20g twice in the last 8 years. He makes $8.25m per.

When Getzlaf signed the deal he was coming off a 5 season stretch averaging 22 goals followed by an outlier (11g) and 15g in 44 games.

Sedin was indeed an outstanding player, but he rides on a tandem bike with his brother. Henrik's contract arguably included a windfall from his Daniel's 30 goal production average (wghen the contracts were signed).

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Johansen really isn't worth 8 million however Johansen has the potential to score 30 goals. Wennberg actually does, but he's shown no desire to.At this point you can use Johansen in every situation. I wouldn't use Wennberg for defensive zone draws in close games. Different players at different points in their careers. The Wennberg deal hopefully should get better and better as we move forward. There are still plenty of flaws in Wennberg's game but he's improving every year.

What will be interesting is the Anderson deal. We're very likely to spend more than we should or want to. His goal scoring total was a product of shooting way over the league average.

Nah, if he wants to play in the NHL, Anderson has no leverage.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
When Getzlaf signed the deal he was coming off a 5 season stretch averaging 22 goals followed by an outlier (11g) and 15g in 44 games.

Sedin was indeed an outstanding player, but he rides on a tandem bike with his brother. Henrik's contract arguably included a windfall from his Daniel's 30 goal production average (wghen the contracts were signed).

I don't think that's accurate at all. Henrik was pretty much equal to Daniel. Go ask Canucks fans. They have also had an assortment of lesser players scoring the goals on the line - with the third wheel frequently outscoring both of them in the past. In 2005 Anson Carter scored more goals than both of them. Burrows later did the same thing. Then Radim Vrbata. No one should be confused into thinking that any of those players are in the same tier as the Sedins. Sometimes an assist makes a goal easy enough.

And with respect to Getzlaf, being able to ink an $8.5m contract after a most recent full season total of 11 goals should tell you about how little goals can matter to individual value at times.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Nah, if he wants to play in the NHL, Anderson has no leverage.

Yes because low balling is a great way to ensure there is no animosity going forward in future negotiations when he actually does have some leverage.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Sure it's great on paper....but I'm not sure how I feel about our top line center making ~1 million less than our second line center. I would have actually preferred to see 5.5-5.75.

Kinda shocked Brisson let him sign this deal

Your entitled to your opinion...but the kid deserved a fair contract for what he does for the organization

He got screwed

When I first read you care about how Dubinsky feels, my thought was "Awwww.....isn't that sweet that he cares about Dubinsky's feelings." Then when I read your fairness equation and getting screwed, I realized that I just disagreed with you. One very big reason why........

Wennberg is 22. If he continues to play in the NHL until he is 28, he will get his opportunity at a UFA contract just like Dubinsky did a couple years ago when he was about that age.

If it's not fair, how can we make it fair that the salary cap 10 years ago was 45-50 million and now it is 73? If your contract takes 8% of the cap, thenfigure out how to get that 8% 10 years from now. I'm just saying you cannot really compare the financial results of two teammates that are 8 years different in their career.

BTW, I don't expect to convince you. Just saying we disagree, and why.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
BTW, I don't expect to convince you. Just saying we disagree, and why.

Well it is hard to convince someone that thinks a 22 year old getting a 30 million dollar paycheck somehow got "screwed". Especially one that will be lucky to score 20 goals unless he makes big changes in how he plays.

Wennberg is a good player, he has a lot of work to do to be a great player.

Fans of a player have a hard time being objective. Wennberg has stability in a place that he obviously wants to be. If he lives his life in the right way he's set for life. We have cap certainty. This was a good deal on both sides.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
How much longer until Wennberg learns how to win face-offs consistently?

37.6% FO so far this year.. has to get it turned around ASAP..

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
How much longer until Wennberg learns how to win face-offs consistently?

37.6% FO so far this year.. has to get it turned around ASAP..

Two things come to mind.

The entire league is learning how to take face-offs again. It doesn't surprise me he's struggling.

Winning face-offs is as much a team stat as it is a C stat. He can be better, but so can his linemates and those others on the ice when he's taking draws.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Viqsi

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Two things come to mind.

The entire league is learning how to take face-offs again. It doesn't surprise me he's struggling.

Winning face-offs is as much a team stat as it is a C stat. He can be better, but so can his linemates and those others on the ice when he's taking draws.
Sure that is partially true but, it's not like we're asking him to win every damn one. Of course everyone can approve - that's the obvious part.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Sure that is partially true but, it's not like we're asking him to win every damn one. Of course everyone can approve - that's the obvious part.
I'm asking him to win everyone. I'm sure Torts is asking him to win everyone, I thought that was the obvious part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->