Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Wennberg to a 6 year deal, 4.9mil AAV

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Amazing deal. Maybe some posters on here will finally admit Jarmo and our front office are really good at their jobs. This deal is so good for us. It's going to allow us to keep or get other players and also sets the price for what other players will get in the future.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Your entitled to your opinion...but the kid deserved a fair contract for what he does for the organization

He got screwed

What in the world are you talking about? He signed this deal. He didn't get screwed. No one forced him to sign this. He chose to sign it. Maybe this is what he wanted. Maybe he wanted a good deal that is more than enough money for him, but will also allow his team to keep and get great players to continue to win a lot of games.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Wennberg plateaus and plays as he does, good deal. If he continues to grow then it's a stellar deal. No complaints here.

Pretty much. Larceny really.

Are u his girlfriend ? Less money for wennberg means for cap room

Its good for "us", but not everyone has to take the side of the FO vs the players.

Decent deal. I like the aav for the 6 years but I think going bridge would have been better. Regardless it's good to have him in the fold for camp. Andy is next

This take is a bit of a head scratcher for me. If we bridge him two years we'd be adding like two million cap on top of the deal (4.9 + 2) just when we are hemorrhaging talent in the cap crunch. That's more talent out the door.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Decent deal. I like the aav for the 6 years but I think going bridge would have been better. Regardless it's good to have him in the fold for camp. Andy is next

Decent? No. Amazing! Also, this is a much better, and smarter deal than a 2 or 3 year deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jones at $5.4? Wennberg at $4.9?

Hell yeah.

Great deal. I would've been fine going up to $5.5m on a 6 year deal. Let's get Andy on board now.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Sure it's great on paper....but I'm not sure how I feel about our top line center making ~1 million less than our second line center. I would have actually preferred to see 5.5-5.75.

Kinda shocked Brisson let him sign this deal

So, you would rather we waste a couple of million dollars just so our first line center makes more than our second line center? :shakehead:shakehead

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It seems to me there is something good her for both parties. Over time Wennberg may have done better with a bridge deal and with high level performance could have signed a bigger number on a long term follow up contract. Instead he valued term and chose security by taking the longer term now at basically $5M a year.

Of course for the Jackets, they add more salary certainty as look to the upcoming contracts while locking up a top 6 center. And they hedged against a bigger hit if Wennberg's performance excels.

To me each party got what they wanted and it's a reasonable deal for both though no question it's club friendly......I'll add one other thought that many will take issue with. IMO Wennberg's AAV shades lower because he has not shown an ability to score goals and it's questionable if he will become a regular 20 goal scorer. No doubt he'll continue to have strong assist numbers, but goals translate into a higher AAV - even for a center.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Your entitled to your opinion...but the kid deserved a fair contract for what he does for the organization

He got screwed

Hard to feel sorry for a kid making 5 mill a year but this does seem light in terms of what others got. If his 59 points had been 25 g's and 34 A's he probably gets 6+.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've said it before but the goals thing doesn't matter. Hasn't anyone here thought of Jumbo Joe and Henrik Sedin? Or Getzlaf or Backstrom etc... Those guys have scored 25g, what, once in their careers?

A bigger deal is even strength scoring. PP is more volatile.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Has anyone noticed that the guy with the exact same stats as Wennberg over the last 120 games just signed a contract for $8m?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
"Stellar" would be putting it mildly. That would put this in the same neighborhood as the Tavares and Josi contracts. I'm not quite holding my breath for that, but still. Very very nice.

It was a fair deal. For a guy that isn't a goal scorer and doesn't win faceoffs you can't really pay more than that for him.

The part that was a little surprising is the term. The reality is that Wennberg doesn't shoot enough to really be much of a threat to score 20 goals and the big money is paid for goal scoring. I knew we were going to do everything we could to go long term; I'm ok with the deal.

I guess I'll be the lone guy that really isn't all impressed or surprised by the AAV, it seems right where it should be.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It was a fair deal. For a guy that isn't a goal scorer and doesn't win faceoffs you can't really pay more than that for him.

The part that was a little surprising is the term. The reality is that Wennberg doesn't shoot enough to really be much of a threat to score 20 goals and the big money is paid for goal scoring.

From this post you'd think McDavid was a 40 goal scorer or something. That he makes guys like Maroon into 30 goal scorers is why McDavid makes $12.5m a year.

Nicklas Backstrom averages about 20g a year and is widely considered underpaid at $6.7m per.

Henrik Sedin averaged about 15g a year and makes $7m per.

Joe ******* Thornton averaged a bit over 20g a year and makes $8m per.

Getzlaf is more volatile but has topped 20g twice in the last 8 years. He makes $8.25m per.

No the big bucks are not reserved for goal scoring.

I guess I'll be the lone guy that really isn't all impressed or surprised by the AAV, it seems right where it should be.

While you're still in the 90's can you get me some Viennetta ice cream and some pringles?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Has anyone noticed that the guy with the exact same stats as Wennberg over the last 120 games just signed a contract for $8m?

Yeah, identical players:laugh: Johansen had scored 30 goals and finished 16th in the league in scoring.

Johansen as an RFA got $4 million per year for 3.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Bridge deal = 2-3 years of like 3-4 million and then a 6-8 million dollar deal after that

This deal = 6 years of 4.9 million

Why is anyone thinking about bridge deals? This is a steal!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's also very possible they sat down and talked to him and explained the upcoming cap situation if he wasn't already aware. Wennberg seems like the type of guy who would be okay making a little less knowing they can have a better team because of it. Same with Jones and Werenski. Yeah Werenski could get paid next contract and he will, but I could really see him not being greedy and signing a extremely team friendly deal.

Could also be part of why they got rid of Johansen, not that he's a bad player, just that his character is more to look out for himself (nothing wrong with that) instead of being willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

Also everyone is giving Jarmo too much credit, this is all Zito isn't it? He handles all the contract stuff.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, identical players:laugh: Johansen had scored 30 goals and finished 16th in the league in scoring.

Johansen as an RFA got $4 million per year for 3.

I'm not sure what you're going for here but within Joey's bridge deal was a final year of $6M as I recall, which automatically puts him above $6M AAV on his next contract unless he wasn't qualified and dropped of the face of the earth. I don't think he's worth $3.1M AAV more than Wennberg.

Two different players. I'd love to still have both but gladly take Seth Jones and Wennberg at their current rates.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Definitely excited that we were able to sign Wennberg to a AAV contract below 5 million a year.. Like previously mentioned, even if he doesn't continue to progress or score 60 points a year.. That's still a pretty fair/good deal nowadays.

I'm not too worried about not signing to a bridge contract here..

Don't get me wrong on the next point- But, even if we were to somehow want to move on from Wennberg/trade him it shouldn't be too difficult to move. He's under a very fair market value contract without any NMC. I certainly don't intend that we would want to consider trading him, especially at this point... But, in today's NHL- You almost never know/predict such stuff (especially for fans)... Remember 2015 when we were trying to name our 1st line of Brandon Saad/Ryan Johansen/Nick Foligno- Not even 2 years later, 2 of those players are gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->