Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Liiga FWD Joona Luoto to one-year, two-way contract

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Luoto is not seen as a high scoring player, but one that brings speed and grit to his game, like a taller Brandon Tanev but without the six-year, $21-million contract.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I like Luoto, but more importantly this seems like a strong message that Laine will be staying with the team.

Edit: I don’t have specific sources cite but I got the impression that Joona was done trying to break through in the NHL. Perhaps I got it wrong or perhaps something convinced him otherwise.

If he can get it all together he can be an NHL regular in a depth role, the kind of guy you slot into top 9 when injuries hit but also performs acceptably on 4th line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Should be better this time. Faster, stronger etc. His first stint at Jets came too soon.

At the playoffs, Luoto played on the cheking-line, which had 2nd highest minutes at Tappara usage and produced like mad.

Good friend to Laine, too.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Note, Luoto isn't eligible to actually sign a NHL contract until July 13th. So I presume this is a handshake agreement to do so at that time.

Why is this? Because he previously played in the NHL and became a UFA when his contract was terminated by Winnipeg. This means he is ineligible to sign a contract that doesn't include the current NHL season. The 2022-23 season will start on July 13th.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I think well before then. Luoto was not NHL ready. Tough to say if he is now. He can score gritty goals and occasionally give a neat assist.

It used to be that every goal he scored seemed like a little bit of an accident. This year not so much.

“Gritty goals on accident and an occasional neat assist”

Yeash sounds like a scouting report on me in the nahl (newark adult hockey league)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like Luoto, but more importantly this seems like a strong message that Laine will be staying with the team.

Edit: I don’t have specific sources cite but I got the impression that Joona was done trying to break through in the NHL. Perhaps I got it wrong or perhaps something convinced him otherwise.

If he can get it all together he can be an NHL regular in a depth role, the kind of guy you slot into top 9 when injuries hit but also performs acceptably on 4th line.
To me it means Jarmo is looking for gritty players who could play around the boards, in front of the net in Europe and not Laine will staying.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Some highlights I found. He's big. I'm curious what LIIGA watchers will have to say about him.

Joona Luoto is one of my favourite players. Had terrific playoffs this season from "4th line", that was actually playing a lot and scoring a ton.

He is a great buddy for Laine, and that was partially the reason why the Jets also acquired him to play in NHL.

Hard working, big body, bottom-6 with a knack for scoring on his own. Can be mean on ice in a positive way.

Not sure if he can make the breakthrough in CBJ/NHL, but a good low risk / medium reward signing.

Plus the fact he is signing into CBJ tells a lot about the perceived atmosphere in CBJ by Laine: Patty really likes it in Columbus.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think well before then. Luoto was not NHL ready. Tough to say if he is now. He can score gritty goals and occasionally give a neat assist.

It used to be that every goal he scored seemed like a little bit of an accident. This year not so much.
Luoto had a very hard time being on a taxi squad and not playing hockey. He was absolutely done for that stuff and said that in some point he kind of didn't know whether he is an ice hockey player anymore. It took a lot of time to him to return into his form in Tappara, Liiga this season after that. But on playoffs he was a real monster and MVP. I can't quite remember if he got the Jari Kurri trophy for playoffs MVP, but the was one of the ~3 guys worth it.

EDIT: indeed Joona Luoto won the MVP / Jari Kurri award for Liiga playoffs. Laine won the same award when he was 17 years old.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He is a big body and likes to use it. He has also progressed a lot from his Winnipeg times. Was supposed to be playing 4th line in Liiga/Tappara, but the line was succesful enough that it got promoted to 2nd line. Net-prescence and hits. Was voted Liiga playoffs MVP. I see him as a player that probably will be succesful playing 3-4 lines in the NHL. He has gained some muscle and is a meaner player now than he was in Winnipeg. Also seem to have gained much better scoring-touch.

Reactions: Monk

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
325k is a relatively high amount in the ahl.
Agreed, however, to pull some players out of Europe and keep them interested in trying to adjust to the North American rink it's likely a higher wage at the lower league is necessary. I mean why leave Liiga and play in the minors for $80,000 when you can stay home and get much more than that. Of course if the dream is the NHL and you are willing to put in the work I can understand but he's not 18 or 19 with a long runway. It's a good risk for Columbus and helps the player financially. This is done with veteran NHL players as well or veteran AHL depth players on 2-way contracts. No concern wtih that from my end.

Reactions: Halberdier

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Agreed, however, to pull some players out of Europe and keep them interested in trying to adjust to the North American rink it's likely a higher wage at the lower league is necessary. I mean why leave Liiga and play in the minors for $80,000 when you can stay home and get much more than that. Of course if the dream is the NHL and you are willing to put in the work I can understand but he's not 18 or 19 with a long runway. It's a good risk for Columbus and helps the player financially. This is done with veteran NHL players as well or veteran AHL depth players on 2-way contracts. No concern wtih that from my end.
Doesnt matter. Its not like its against the cap.
it gives an insight as to what the player and gm have in mind. like xoggz22 said,

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Is also because not many quality players do not want to sign contracts with AHL 80 000 because they can get 400 000 from Europe, so why would they do that? unless they know they can break in with the squad. Is not always how good player is, sometimes Coaches tactics they look different kind of players so might not "fit" in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad