Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Davidsson to ELC

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I can see it now: Jackets put in the time to develop dynamic forward, only for the benefits to be reaped by another team. Fans in hindsight will say: "Sure, I thought Milano was going to flame out, but I'm not a coach or GM who saw him in practice every day! Fire (XYZ)!"

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And other than the "competition" you have to remember that injuries WILL happen. I just think the signing of Duclair (and Davidsson) in general is NOT a good sign for Milano. Imo, unless for some reason Duclair performs/plays very poorly early in camp/the preseason, I think he will get the "1st look" when an "offensive situation" opens up. I think the FO got their "looks" at Milano the last year in these same situations. And like me, they didn't buy into the "advanced" aka "per-60" hype, early on last year.

Also, in response to people posting a trio/4th line of something like Milano-Dubinsky-Duclair, I understand line designations aren't what they used to be in 1998, and that ALL lines need to be able to "score", but can you not see how this type of combo of players would NOT be a good use of said players? Dubinsky is most certainly going to be used in a mainly defensive role. He will not be paired up with 2 young offensive minded guys. I think we will see a lot of Sedlak and Robinson on the 4th line with Dubinsky, with Davidsson rotating in. I think we'd see Torts put Dubinsky on a "heavy"/responsible line with Nash/Jenner/Anderson/Foligno while Wennberg played lesser 5 on 5 minutes with Davidsson, Duclair, Milano and was given heavy PP time before Dubinsky is used with 2 young offensive wingers.

I think it should be something like this.

Top line would be "two-way"/whenever line. 2nd line and 4th line would look for favorable situation, while the 3rd would be thrown out against opposing top lines as much as possible.

Panarin -- Dubois -- Jenner/Foligno

Anderson/Jenner/Davidsson/Duclair -- Wennberg -- Bjorkstrand

Foligno/Jenner/Anderson -- Dubinsky -- Nash/Sedlak

Duclair/Davidsson -- Sedlak/Nash/Broadhurst -- Davidsson/Milano/Abramov

or if you want to "roll em"

Panarin -- Dubois -- Jenner/Foligno

Foligno/Jenner -- Wennberg/Nash -- Bjorkstrand/Anderson

Davidsson/Duclair --Nash/Wennberg -- Anderson/Milano

Duclair/Davidsson -- Dubinsky -- Sedlak/Robinson/Milano

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think Davidsson stays in North American unless he earns a top 6 position. If he's a 4th line/healthy scratch he doesn't get nearly the experience he does playing on a top line in Sweden and that position can be taken by an AHL call-up.

Kukan did come over and play in the AHL with a valid SHL contract and his team (Luleå ) wasn't happy about it but essentially they couldn't do anything about it. If he didn't want to play for them, then what were they suppose to do? Technically, Davidsson could do the same but I don't see that happening. Kukan was a Swiss player in Sweden who didn't mind burning bridges. Davidsson is a Stockholm kid playing for his hometown team on a line with his brother. This is an opportunity for him to develop offensively with big minutes in Sweden with a lot of pressure on him to take the next step and for DIF to win.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Bus, you forgot Cam.

Advanced stats again and again show that our "heavies" (Anderson/Foligno/Jenner/Dubinsky) don't play well together. The eye test shows the same thing at how awful Jenner and Dubinsky are together.

I'm more open to your suggestion that Nash play more with the "skilled" guys than Dubinsky does. I rather have Nash anchoring our shutdown line (whichever one that ends up being) rather than Dubi, however. And playing Nash and Dubinsky on the same line, when those are far and away our best two faceoff men, is just silly.

I could see something like:

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Duclair/Milano-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Nash-Foligno
Robinson/Sedlak/Duclair-Dubinsky-Anderson
Duclair/Milano/Sedlak as forward 13

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bus, you forgot Cam.

Advanced stats again and again show that our "heavies" (Anderson/Foligno/Jenner/Dubinsky) don't play well together. The eye test shows the same thing at how awful Jenner and Dubinsky are together.

I'm more open to your suggestion that Nash play more with the "skilled" guys than Dubinsky does. I rather have Nash anchoring our shutdown line (whichever one that ends up being) rather than Dubi, however. And playing Nash and Dubinsky on the same line, when those are far and away our best two faceoff men, is just silly.

I could see something like:

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Duclair/Milano-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Nash-Foligno
Robinson/Sedlak/Duclair-Dubinsky-Anderson
Duclair/Milano/Sedlak as forward 13

Jesus that's bad. I was looking past the 1st line pretty much. Something didn't seem right on the wings, but I couldn't think why. But ya, Atkinson is right there with Dubois IMO as somebody who is downplayed by MANY CBJ fans. "Consistency" is somewhat of an issue, but like other players that are given a pass, I could see Cam playing through many injuries that we never hear about.

Do these "advanced" stats tell us that the "heavies" don't "play well", or that they don't score a lot of points or get a lot of chances offensively? And, if these "advanced" stats tell us that they are supposedly allowing a lot of "chances" against ('per-60 min'="numbers" multiplied), what impact does the fact that they are most of the time probably PUT TOGETHER MATCHED UP AGAINST TEAMS BEST PLAYERS affect such "advanced" numbers? Our "eyes" aren't watching the same things, and our "ears" aren't listening to the same people.

Really don't have a problem with your lines, but that 2nd line would have to be quite sheltered. The "2 way" abilities of lines 3 and 4 would make up for it though. I see no issue with Dubinsky and Nash being on the same line for really ANY reason. They would work together "perfect" on a legit "shutdown"/"responsible" line. Them being our best 2 faceoff guys shouldn't be looked at the same as in the past, with the new faceoff rules. And if we were really going with 1 STRONG defensive/shutdown/heavy/etc. line, it actually (imo) would make sense to put them together. 1st guy would be not be afraid to take a risk. However, Foligno and Jenner are also good on draws, BUT with how the faceoffs are it makes sense to have 1 of them on a different line for the same reason you think Dubi and Nash together is "silly". And also, I really think that Sedlak deserves an opportunity at regular icetime (roughly 10 min) although I don't think it matters if at center or wing. I like Dubi and Sedlak together.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't think Davidsson stays in North American unless he earns a top 6 position. If he's a 4th line/healthy scratch he doesn't get nearly the experience he does playing on a top line in Sweden and that position can be taken by an AHL call-up.

Kukan did come over and play in the AHL with a valid SHL contract and his team (Luleå ) wasn't happy about it but essentially they couldn't do anything about it. If he didn't want to play for them, then what were they suppose to do? Technically, Davidsson could do the same but I don't see that happening. Kukan was a Swiss player in Sweden who didn't mind burning bridges. Davidsson is a Stockholm kid playing for his hometown team on a line with his brother. This is an opportunity for him to develop offensively with big minutes in Sweden with a lot of pressure on him to take the next step and for DIF to win.

Eh, its definitely possible. Its all gonna depend how good he plays and how good he is.

I really don't see him getting a "top 6" spot this year. I also don't think him being a "bottom 6" guy would be as bad as you (or he) might think. I think the 4th line this upcoming year is gonna be given more minutes consistently. He wouldn't be getting the Milano 6-8 minutes, unless he really deserved it, and at that point it probably would be better to go back, or play in the AHL (which I don't see or expect him to do). What's "best" for his "development" is an interesting question. I don't see any way how he beats out guys like Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Foligno, Jenner in icetime. But, I think the way he plays the game will help him earn the trust and some "legit" icetime from the coaches.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad