Jackets' Players Rep Bails On Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
https://shop.dispatch.com/signin.as...005/02/09/20050209-D3-03.html&msg=1&regtype=1

I know, I know... subscription required.

Synopsis goes like this; Todd Marchant, NHLPA rep of the BlueJackets is no longer heading to russia after he claims his deal with AK Bars Kazan fell through.

Though it may be unfounded, I think some signifigance can be found on this. The only reason I could see his deal falling through is something with money. And with NHLers seeking to go overseas as a means to stay conditioned, why would Marchant be concerned with a deal involving any sum of money when he raked it in with the Jackets last year?

Also, I take into account his vocal attitude in the media as of late locally about how much he's wanted to get over to Russia as soon as possible for a conditiioning stint.

Hence, It's a cover

For the savy optimist... maybe it means something?

Last edited:

X0ssbar

Bummer. I was hoping he would go to Russia permanently - apparently the Russians don't want Marchant and his baggage either.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would love to find some reason for optimism, but Daniel Alfredsson's comments in the Ottawa Sun this morning could have been reprinted from four months ago. It had all the old standbys -- we've made concessions (not really), we're not even trying to win, the owners found out how tough we are in 94, yada yada yada. It was awfully difficult to find any nugget of hope in any of that. The 'PA is clearly determined to pull a Thelma and Louise here, for reasons best known to themselves. Oh well, as their careers circle the porcelain highway they can say they are doing it for Ted Lindsay...

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
can't say i blame marchant for his stance- if not for goodenow, this guy would be lucky to make a million bucks per year. he's one of those guys that probably has a life sized poster of bob on his wall at home, and gives him a big kiss before bed each night.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
*adds to conspiracy theory*

Wild Player Rep Dwayne Roloson bailed on his Finnish team too...hmmmmmmm

*dramatic piano*

next, on a very special episode of "blossom"...

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
DeuceUNO said:
*adds to conspiracy theory*

Wild Player Rep Dwayne Roloson bailed on his Finnish team too...hmmmmmmm

*dramatic piano*

next, on a very special episode of "blossom"...

I hope it's the episode where Joey orders a hooker.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Larionov said:
I would love to find some reason for optimism, but Daniel Alfredsson's comments in the Ottawa Sun this morning could have been reprinted from four months ago. It had all the old standbys -- we've made concessions (not really), we're not even trying to win, the owners found out how tough we are in 94, yada yada yada. It was awfully difficult to find any nugget of hope in any of that. The 'PA is clearly determined to pull a Thelma and Louise here, for reasons best known to themselves. Oh well, as their careers circle the porcelain highway they can say they are doing it for Ted Lindsay...

try to avoid paying attention to quotes from either side in the papers... they are very much a part of public negotiations and posturing for the viewing of the other side. like when the owners come out saying we will have to move or fold without a cap... or the players saying they will never play under a cap... blah blah

noise.

actions speak louder than words. unless it's JR who's just speaking his mind... but he's obviously powerless in this whole thing.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
neelynugs said:
can't say i blame marchant for his stance- if not for goodenow, this guy would be lucky to make a million bucks per year. he's one of those guys that probably has a life sized poster of bob on his wall at home, and gives him a big kiss before bed each night.
:lol :lol :lol :lol:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
futurcorerock said:
And with NHLers seeking to go overseas as a means to stay conditioned, why would Marchant be concerned with a deal involving any sum of money when he raked it in with the Jackets last year?

Money, rather than conditioning, is the main reason for players going overseas when they've thrown in the towel on the NHL. It doesn't make sense for NHL'ers to play in Russia, other than for the money, if they've given up hope on the lockout ending. Marchant would need a decent sized contract just to keep his NHL contract insured. It's a bad sign when players become less inclined to make sacrifices to stay in shape.

cbjrocks

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
York16 said:
Marchant is a ****** bag.

Why, because he has an opinion an expresses it? If that's the case, everyone on this board is a ****** bag.

Or is he a ****** bag because of his playing ability? Or, maybe because he's an American?

I just don't get it

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
cbjrocks100700 said:
Why, because he has an opinion an expresses it? If that's the case, everyone on this board is a ****** bag.

Or is he a ****** bag because of his playing ability? Or, maybe because he's an American?

I just don't get it

What I think he meant to say is that McLean and McConnell are ****** bags for signing that useless POS overrated American to a hefty contract, damn near 3 mil for this year ... 34 points and a -17

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
cbjrocks100700 said:

I just don't get it

Because he equated playing under a salary cap with slavery? Just a guess... :dunno: :help:

X0ssbar

Joe_Strummer said:
What I think he meant to say is that McLean and McConnell are ****** bags for signing that useless POS overrated American to a hefty contract, damn near 3 mil for this year ... 34 points and a -17

What in the hell does McConnell have to do with this - he is the owner who pays MacLean to make the player personel decisions. Rip MacLean all you want but to lump McConnell into your rubbish is unfounded.

Matt Foley*

neelynugs said:
he's one of those guys that probably has a life sized poster of bob on his wall at home, and gives him a big kiss before bed each night.

If Marchant gives his poster a kiss every night, just imagine what Bobby Holik does....

:eek:

:joker:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Joe_Strummer said:

What?

For your statement, you will be wearing the dunce cap for the day
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Aside, I dont even blame Doug so much for making such blasphemous offer to Toddy, I blame the current CBA situation in allowing mediocre players to get outlandish contracts and underperforming while under them. Did we forget that Chris Gratton set this bar?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
futurcorerock said:
What?

For your statement, you will be wearing the dunce cap for the day
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Aside, I dont even blame Doug so much for making such blasphemous offer to Toddy, I blame the current CBA situation in allowing mediocre players to get outlandish contracts and underperforming while under them. Did we forget that Chris Gratton set this bar?

Don't you mean Martin LaPointe? ... 5 mil/year for a career 3rd liner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad