TSN: Jackets leaning towards Wennberg buyout

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'd love to see him on the Rangers. What do you think he'd ask for per year?

Edit: how did he mesh with Panarin?
Had his chance but didnt jumpstart him like the team wanted. Dubois took that 1C role by Panarin's side after some injuries and never looked back

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Add another center to the list of Free Agents that would be the Wild's defacto one C. One year reclamation deal?

Reactions: Merrrlin

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I’m still surprised we can’t find a buyer even for a pick or a prospect
He has a cap hit of 5M and had 22 points.

I'm sure he's great defensively and all, but that is a LOT of risk. This is the last season you can buy him out cheaply. If someone plays him next season as a trial, they're stuck buying him out or paying the whole thing.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
CBJ fans— If he’s good defensively why did he sink playing for a guy like Torts on a team that seemingly needs centers? I’m actually asking.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Lots of untapped potential in Wennberg. Put up 60 points and then dropped to a 0.5 ppg guy when Torts came along, hmm.

Jun 15, 2007
He's not a 3C. If he was a 3C he would still be on Columbus.

Anyone giving him a 5x3m deal is insane. At most 2x2m.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Lots of untapped potential in Wennberg. Put up 60 points and then dropped to a 0.5 ppg guy when Torts came along, hmm.

59. Gotta love the HF round up mentality. Other players have produced in the Torts system. I know this is anathema on these boards but sometimes the player is the issue.

Reactions: Toe Pick

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Unfortunate that Montreal seems like they would not have space for him. I'd try my luck with him as a cheap 3C with Lehkonen/Byron type line - maybe not the most offensive line but if Wennberg is as good defensively as people in this thread pegs him, it would be good defensive line.

If he signs and accepts the 3C role, could be better to get him and move Danault for another needed piece considering he (Danault) doesn't seem too hot seeing KK and Suzuki develop into better players than him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
CBJ fans— If he’s good defensively why did he sink playing for a guy like Torts on a team that seemingly needs centers? I’m actually asking.
He's overpaid for what he brings and we need the space for an upgrade, basically. Exasperation of certain fans aside, the possible buyout would be less "get him away from here" and more an opportunity thing (we can do it at an extreme discount 'cause of his age). If we could negotiate his contract down by $1.5-2m or so, this wouldn't even be a conversation. But the CBA doesn't allow for that. :(

The easy way to think of him is that just like how there's offensive defensemen who are described as "fourth forwards", Wennberg is something of a "third PMD".

Ledge And Dairy

It's worth pointing out that Wennberg's buyout is super light because he's only owed 1/3 of the contract, due to being under 27:

Alexander Wennberg Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I think he's going to get a ton of interest very quickly. I'd easily throw a 3-5 year deal at $3-$3.5 million at him.
The rules are for under 26 but im pretty sure the league is acting as if the buyout dates never changed so he would have been 25 at the time

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
59. Gotta love the HF round up mentality. Other players have produced in the Torts system. I know this is anathema on these boards but sometimes the player is the issue.

I actually didn't know it was 59. Not that it matters, I see he also played 80 games so the pace was 60.

Just saying, it's pretty rare for a guy to just start falling off like that in his lower 20s. If he put up 59 points at 28 and then started dropping it would be easier to explain. Worth the gamble if you're weak at center.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs is perfect with the CBJ connection with former players and Bednar. Lots of euro players. Need for a 3C 2-way player. Speed and youth. I thought he would fit in a trade, but this is even better.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I’m still surprised we can’t find a buyer even for a pick or a prospect
Considering every GM knows about his buyout option, I'm sure they would rather wait and sign him at half the cost.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
"He doesn't shoot!"

Sounds like a good C for Owen Tippett.
What's the rest of his game like? Can he defend? Skate? Carry the puck?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Too smart (high hockey IQ) for his own damn good, and playing in Tort's system. Change of scenery is what he needs...congrats to the team that gets him :(

Sounds like a case of paranoid responsibility. That happened to RNH too and he's eventually recovered. I'd love to get Wennberg on our team.

Reactions: Dumais

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad