Jackets interested in Redden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I'll go ahead and handle all scenarios here, under the guise of "normal board member"

Interested party
If it's Davidson: "Clearly he sees someone that would bring a stabilizing veteran presence to a young blueline. It would also allow one of Moore or Savard to spend more time logging 25 minutes a night in Springfield, which can be nothing but positive for their development.

If it's Howson: "Did someone forget to pin his mittens to his jacket? I'm hilarious."

Outcome - favorable
If it's Davidson: "That's why he was hired, to find guys who can still produce despite minimal interest elsewhere."

If it's Howson: "Obviously he listened to Davidson."

Outcome - dismal
If it's Davidson: "Clearly this was a Howson move."

If it's Howson: "That one-year deal is absolutely crippling. Does anyone else Nikita Filatov?"

:facepalm: Posts like this are why I kvetch about a "ineffably tainted with horrible failure" mindset that comes up here.

The "bullet" dodged was that we were going to pay him and play him as a top-4 or even top-pairing defenseman, which was undeserved. This was a legitimate concern AT THE TIME.

Now more time has passed. This is no longer a concern. Therefore it is no longer somehow some horrible nameless act of evil if we were to sign him for, say, $1m to be our #7D.

That the very thought of this would engender such a reaction of "omg onoes" and "who's to blame" speaks very, very poorly of our fanbase as a whole.

Seriously. "Is this Howson or Davidson?" :banghead: And exactly why the **** should that matter one ******* iota? Swear to G-d. Some people here. Unbe****inglievable. :shakehead

Some grade A postings right here.

chairflipmr8.gif

Paisano*

:facepalm: Posts like this are why I kvetch about a "ineffably tainted with horrible failure" mindset that comes up here.

The "bullet" dodged was that we were going to pay him and play him as a top-4 or even top-pairing defenseman, which was undeserved. This was a legitimate concern AT THE TIME.

Now more time has passed. This is no longer a concern. Therefore it is no longer somehow some horrible nameless act of evil if we were to sign him for, say, $1m to be our #7D.

That the very thought of this would engender such a reaction of "omg onoes" and "who's to blame" speaks very, very poorly of our fanbase as a whole.

Seriously. "Is this Howson or Davidson?" :banghead: And exactly why the **** should that matter one ******* iota? Swear to G-d. Some people here. Unbe****inglievable. :shakehead

You really seem to have a problem reading things into a post that don't exist. You imagine your self as some all knowing expert that has all the answers to the problems of the CBJ and God forbid anyone express an opinion that YOU might disagree with!!
It was a simple observation, Commodore was supposed to come in an tutor the young guys with a veteran presence on the blue line, he was given an overpaid contract, he turned into a disaster of a defenseman and we are still paying? Do we want to do that again with Redden?
The second part: we have a new man at the helm with John Davidson, we also still have a GM in Scott Howson who supposedly can make decisions and/or suggestions. It was a simple question, who expressed interest, JD or Howson? If YOU don't like the post, skip it! This is a public forum, it is a message board! If you want to bang your head, do it against a concrete wall and knock some sense into it!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It was a simple observation, Commodore was supposed to come in an tutor the young guys with a veteran presence on the blue line, he was given an overpaid contract, he turned into a disaster of a defenseman and we are still paying? Do we want to do that again with Redden?

And yet nobody appears to have any worries at all with Adrian Aucoin.

The second part: we have a new man at the helm with John Davidson, we also still have a GM in Scott Howson who supposedly can make decisions and/or suggestions. It was a simple question, who expressed interest, JD or Howson?

********. It's looking for legitimacy based on whoever came up with it, and thereby looking for preemptive blame. That is the ONLY reason why it would matter, because otherwise there is no discussion to be had, nor use for the information. That in and of itself is very likely to be an anticipation that things WILL go poorly, because it is extremely rare for someone to look for "who SPECIFICALLY is responsible for this" when things are going well. Unless one is prepared to forgive Howson on the theory of "well, if JD also suggested it, maybe Howson knew what he was doing", but given that this statement was made in the context of referring to a "Commodore fiasco", this seems rather unlikely.

But the core purpose was to prejudge and attempt to find who to blame preemptively. That is undeniable. Either you need to admit it to us, or you need to admit it to yourself, but you can't claim it's otherwise without somehow being fundamentally dishonest.

Paisano*

And yet nobody appears to have any worries at all with Adrian Aucoin.

********. It's looking for legitimacy based on whoever came up with it, and thereby looking for preemptive blame. That is the ONLY reason why it would matter, because otherwise there is no discussion to be had, nor use for the information. That in and of itself is very likely to be an anticipation that things WILL go poorly, because it is extremely rare for someone to look for "who SPECIFICALLY is responsible for this" when things are going well. Unless one is prepared to forgive Howson on the theory of "well, if JD also suggested it, maybe Howson knew what he was doing", but given that this statement was made in the context of referring to a "Commodore fiasco", this seems rather unlikely.

But the core purpose was to prejudge and attempt to find who to blame preemptively. That is undeniable. Either you need to admit it to us, or you need to admit it to yourself, but you can't claim it's otherwise without somehow being fundamentally dishonest.

Go back and read the first two sentences in my post again!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Are we really arguing the nuances of a potential redden deal? Really?

It has a 1% chance, folks, if that. Good lied, find a better hill to die on.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Are we really arguing the nuances of a potential redden deal? Really?

It has a 1% chance, folks, if that. Good lied, find a better hill to die on.

Look at the three previous posters, then ask again why there's an argument.;)

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
And yet nobody appears to have any worries at all with Adrian Aucoin

It's because we have Aucoin that I'd rather see them pass on Redden. We have a vet with more current street cred who can be the #7 or play with one of our young bucks back there.

I think we have more need for a veteran forward than a defenseman.

(But not Scott Gomez)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
It's because we have Aucoin that I'd rather see them pass on Redden. We have a vet with more current street cred who can be the #7 or play with one of our young bucks back there.

I think we have more need for a veteran forward than a defenseman.

(But not Scott Gomez)

Agreed, on both parts.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wade Redden stopped playing hockey long ago

Money knows how to play the position and is likely respected, just saying.

Totally agree about needing a veteran forward, (preferably a right winger) I have given up getting a first line center, and settled for a group of 3rd line pivots.

Kutter

Jan 27, 2008
Dublin
Redden was a good first pass defenseman whose play tailed off toward the end of his time in Ottawa. The Sens had recognized this, but like a lot of UFA's, there was hope he could be more than what he had shown recently and the NYR's and CBJ went after him aggressively. The NYR's turned out to be his choice despite the CBJ offering equal pay.

Unfortunately Redden couldn't play in Torterella's high pressure system. He didn't have the foot speed. Torts eventually gave up on him and he got buried in the minors, something Redden likely didn't think would ever happen. Somewhere along the way he also had a death in the family that apparently really impacted him.

Can he come back and still be an impact player? Seems unlikely at this point. Could he be a mentor to some of the young players - possibly - but would depend on his personality and attitude. However I don't see him fitting in well as a player from what has been written this week about Richards high pressure system. Seems like he would have the same problems he had in NY.

The only way I see a big upside to this would be if we picked up Redden, he actually played well for 20 games, and then we unload him at the trade deadline to a Cup Contender looking for more D for a nice draft pick. Lot of things would have to work out to make that scenario happen...

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Redden was a good first pass defenseman whose play tailed off toward the end of his time in Ottawa. The Sens had recognized this, but like a lot of UFA's, there was hope he could be more than what he had shown recently and the NYR's and CBJ went after him aggressively. The NYR's turned out to be his choice despite the CBJ offering equal pay.

Unfortunately Redden couldn't play in Torterella's high pressure system. He didn't have the foot speed. Torts eventually gave up on him and he got buried in the minors, something Redden likely didn't think would ever happen. Somewhere along the way he also had a death in the family that apparently really impacted him.

Can he come back and still be an impact player? Seems unlikely at this point. Could he be a mentor to some of the young players - possibly - but would depend on his personality and attitude. However I don't see him fitting in well as a player from what has been written this week about Richards high pressure system. Seems like he would have the same problems he had in NY.

The only way I see a big upside to this would be if we picked up Redden, he actually played well for 20 games, and then we unload him at the trade deadline to a Cup Contender looking for more D for a nice draft pick. Lot of things would have to work out to make that scenario happen...

TOO many!!!

Lots of could & maybe & might....

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well, if you only allow one vet per position, then forward is taken. There's this guy, name of Vinny Prospal... ;)

One veteran for every 6 players at a position. It's a mathematical fact of hockey. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad