Post-Game Talk: Jackets Caps 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I like Toews. Wouldn't mind him playing here. Not sure he is worth his salary. He is a very good player and bring a lot more to a team than just scoring points. Great faceoff man excellent defensively and a good leader. I would say its between Toews. Bergeron and Kopitar as the best 2way players in the league

He's clearly not worth his salary, and we don't really need him since we already have Backstrom and Kuznetsov. I think Backstrom brings more to his team than Toews. Equally good defensively, a lot better offensively.

I like Toews too, I'm just glad we're not the ones paying him $10.5M. Then again, I'd be happy to pay him that much money if he brought us 3 Stanley Cups.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Do you think we will try to sign Carlson? Do you think we should?

We will and we should. I changed my stance on him. I thought he was washed up and declining hard, but he proved me wrong. If we had a true #1D I'd consider moving on from Carlson but he's the closest we have to a #1D. We need to keep him out of necessity. Ideally, I wouldn't sign him to an 8 year contract but to a 4-5 year contract. I don't think he would accept anything under 6-7 years but that's what I would do if I were in GMBM's shoes.

Ovechkin's contract expires in 4 years. Beyond that point, the only remaining core pieces will be Kuznetsov and Oshie.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He's clearly not worth his salary, and we don't really need him since we already have Backstrom and Kuznetsov. I think Backstrom brings more to his team than Toews. Equally good defensively, a lot better offensively.

I like Toews too, I'm just glad we're not the ones paying him $10.5M. Then again, I'd be happy to pay him that much money if he brought us 3 Stanley Cups.
That's why I mentioned the good leadership. We could have used that kind of leadership. Kind of surprised you think Backstrom is as good defensively as Toews. I feel Backstrom is a great 2way player too. One of the best.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's why I mentioned the good leadership. We could have used that kind of leadership. Kind of surprised you think Backstrom is as good defensively as Toews. I feel Backstrom is a great 2way player too. One of the best.

You weren't there last year but I've said repeatedly that Backstrom was the best defensive forward in the league after the Selke contenders like Kopitar and Bergeron. It's the most under-appreciated part of his game. Everyone just thinks of Backstrom as a pure playmaker, but he's very good with and without the puck.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We will and we should. I changed my stance on him. I thought he was washed up and declining hard, but he proved me wrong. If we had a true #1D I'd consider moving on from Carlson but he's the closest we have to a #1D. We need to keep him out of necessity. Ideally, I wouldn't sign him to an 8 year contract but to a 4-5 year contract. I don't think he would accept anything under 6-7 years but that's what I would do if I were in GMBM's shoes.

Ovechkin's contract expires in 4 years. Beyond that point, the only remaining core pieces will be Kuznetsov and Oshie.
I feel the same about Carlson. We need to sign him out of necessity. Dmen that can play in all situations and play those mins are hard to find. He will be the top free agent defenceman. He will be getting a big raise. How can we sign him and stay under the cap?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I
You weren't there last year but I've said repeatedly that Backstrom was the best defensive forward in the league after the Selke contenders like Kopitar and Bergeron. It's the most under-appreciated part of his game. Everyone just thinks of Backstrom as a pure playmaker, but he's very good with and without the puck.
Agreed. Its unfortunate he doesn't get the respect he deserves. It is hard to believe that he has only been selected as an all-star once in his career.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I feel the same about Carlson. We need to sign him out of necessity. Dmen that can play in all situations and play those mins are hard to find. He will be the top free agent defenceman. He will be getting a big raise. How can we sign him and stay under the cap?

Good thing his contract is expiring this year and not next year. Karlsson and Doughty are about to jack up the prices for D, they'll be getting $11-12M per season each. The next best D on free agency this year after Carlson is ... Mike Green. One Cap and one former Cap.

I wish we had a better D than Carlson but the better Ds don't grow on trees.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

He didn't bring them anything. Its a team sport. And an incredible team that was! His "intangibles" spoiled like old milk as it was evidenced in the last 2 playoffs. Leadership shleadership. :blah:
Should've kept Panarin in Chicago for entertainment purposes with Kane instead of listening to him.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He didn't bring them anything. Its a team sport. And an incredible team that was! His "intangibles" spoiled like old milk as it was evidenced in the last 2 playoffs. Leadership shleadership. :blah:
Should've kept Panarin in Chicago for entertainment purposes with Kane instead of listening to him.
They didn't trade Panarin because Toews asked them to. They traded Panarin because they didn't want to pay for Panarin's next contract. Toews asked them to get Saad back, so they targeted Saad while trading Panarin.

Reactions: maacoshark

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Hopefully not from that early hit from Jones. Looked to take a lot of force to the head.

I hope it's not that, but I think it's a concussion. It was a dirty hit, the body check was ok, but why follow with your arms to the head against the boards. :rant:

What a bone head Panarin. Celebrating because he thought the puck was going in when he could have dunked it himself. Moron!

Panarin celebrating the goal allowed Beagle to clear the puck.

Beagle lifted his stick before he started to celebrate. So there's no way he scores that goal.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Sloppy clearing attempts and strong Columbus forecheck led to their first two goals, and Caps were
'credited' with 24 giveaways. Something they need to work on. Quicker clearing attempts, and a smoother transitional game needs improvement, these guys have to know that in the defensive zone, someone is gonna be right there on them. Coming away with a regulation win against one of the top teams in the division is something this team should be proud of, they just need to reduce the sloppy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
missed the game. caps have beaten Tampa, Toronto and Columbus with a loss to LA in there. are we sure this is a bubble team?

They've played 27 games, not 3, and are in the last wild card spot, aka on the bubble. So yes.

Reactions: Hivemind

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
They've played 27 games, not 3, and are in the last wild card spot, aka on the bubble. So yes.
Yes, however they're playing better now. Hopefully when Bura returns he starts playing well after shaking off some rust.

The Metro is tough and deep. If some "ifs" go the Caps way they should make the playoffs. I think they have a fair (outside?) shot at #2-3 in Metro.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Right now, Caps are 4 points from first in Metro, 2 behind 3rd place Pittsburgh, Isles have other wildcard spot, 31 points in 25 games, 7-3 last 10, NYR are 1 point (30) with 2 fewer games played. Boston 24 games 28 points, is 2 points out of 3rd in Atlantic ( MTL 28 games 29 points). Carolina is 4 pts behind us with 2 fewer games played. Big win last night, 2 points versus a division rival.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Right now, Caps are 4 points from first in Metro, 2 behind 3rd place Pittsburgh, Isles have other wildcard spot, 31 points in 25 games, 7-3 last 10, NYR are 1 point (30) with 2 fewer games played. Boston 24 games 28 points, is 2 points out of 3rd in Atlantic ( MTL 28 games 29 points). Carolina is 4 pts behind us with 2 fewer games played. Big win last night, 2 points versus a division rival.

Yes, however they're playing better now. Hopefully when Bura returns he starts playing well after shaking off some rust.

The Metro is tough and deep. If some "ifs" go the Caps way they should make the playoffs. I think they have a fair (outside?) shot at #2-3 in Metro.

Every team in the Metro except Philly has a winning record in their last 10, as do the 3 other "bubble" teams right behind the caps in the Wild Card. They all have games in hand on us. The Caps goal differential is 2nd worst among current playoff teams. TB, TOR and CBus all have much better road records compared to our .500.

They may be playing better than before but if the competition is even better than that you are on the bubble and will have a hard time getting off it unless someone falters.

Point being this is not a Prez Trophy team anymore. It is a bubble team. They are going to fluctuate up and down the bottom part of the playoff picture all year, as they have. A few wins in December don't change that.

Can they improve? Probably. But they have to do it. There's no point in sugarcoating the situation.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Devils are probably the one team ahead of the Capitals that I expect to drop quite a bit. Their win/loss record is outpacing their underlying play by quite a bit.

Reactions: ovikovy817

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
^^ Points in december factor in the race for the playoffs in the spring, especially for bubble teams. It would really stink to miss out by just a few points, and look back at games that this team should've won earlier in the season, especially divisional games, and most likely points we could've gotten from Atlantic teams, as well. All these teams are a good measuring stick for where this team is, and where they need to get to.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Games in hand cuts both ways. The Caps record is where it is to a good extent based on the heavy number of back to backs they have played and that they lost that second game all the time til Toronto. As a result of more back to backs they have played more games. Teams with fewer games have had more rest between games and will only make up those games in hand by playing more back to backs. So, its far easier to lose a game in hand than most people give credit

Reactions: Ridley Simon

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Games in hand cuts both ways. The Caps record is where it is to a good extent based on the heavy number of back to backs they have played and that they lost that second game all the time til Toronto. As a result of more back to backs they have played more games. Teams with fewer games have had more rest between games and will only make up those games in hand by playing more back to backs. So, its far easier to lose a game in hand than most people give credit

Did you research this?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Metro is sending five teams to the dance, which ones will be tough to figure out. I think Jackets and Isles are locks, the other four, Caps, Pens, Devils, Rangers. I don't even consider the Canes (don't like the way they play) or the Flyers who will be lottery bound.

My guess is Caps, Pens, Rangers are the other two, but it won't be easy for any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad