Jackets better with Joey than Jones? (circa 2019-20)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sigh................I really don't like this place in the summer.

IDK Old Guy, ignoring my personal feeling regarding Jojo and Wennberg (and Jones for that matter) and me happy with what is being said about them, this seems like essentially the most positive and camaraderie filled thread we've had since the TB series, and other than that 2 weeks, actually well before that.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
IDK Old Guy, ignoring my personal feeling regarding Jojo and Wennberg (and Jones for that matter) and me happy with what is being said about them, this seems like essentially the most positive and camaraderie filled thread we've had since the TB series, and other than that 2 weeks, actually well before that.

IDK bus, we were all pretty united against you after the Boston series for expressing your happiness about losing to them.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Sorry to bring this thread back up but Z's bridge deal brought up a discussion elsewhere about Joey's bridge deal which was $3, $3 and $6. Joey's next deal was 8x$8 but has been consistent in averaging just 14 Gs and 60 Pts over the last four seasons.

Does Joey do more as a C to justify that contract? Those numbers are underwhelming for a guy on that big a contract.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I was thinking about this subject recently. I'm now of the opinion that the Blue Jackets won the trade.
I don't hear anybody talking about Ryan Johansen being considered for any NHL hardware or being one of the top 5-7 players at his position.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sorry to bring this thread back up but Z's bridge deal brought up a discussion elsewhere about Joey's bridge deal which was $3, $3 and $6. Joey's next deal was 8x$8 but has been consistent in averaging just 14 Gs and 60 Pts over the last four seasons.

Does Joey do more as a C to justify that contract? Those numbers are underwhelming for a guy on that big a contract.

He's got Wennbergitis to a certain extent. Since his 33 and 26 goal seasons here when he had 237 and 202 shots respectively, he has taken 129 and 136 shots the past two years. While he plays with two scorers in Ardvidsson and Forsberg, he has become a distinct "no shoot" player.

His overall stats have to be taken in the context of Nashville being a very defensive oriented team as well.

I'd say he is overpaid since the the beginning of his big contract but not significantly so. He's a very good 2 way player and has a physical presence (ask Toews) which doesn't show up in the scoring stats.

Reactions: EspenK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad