Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I understand this thought process, but at the same time, I actually think he might have it easier playing with a driver like Hall... get it into his hands and find open space. Kid has the hockey IQ to do what needs to be done on line 2.... not saying they should hand it to him, but give him some time in that spot during camp, let it be a competition and see who comes out on top. We know one thing for sure, aside from the top line... Bruce juggles a ton... and with this lineup I expect a lot of different combinations

It might be easier on the offensive side...but can be handle another teams top line in that situation?

Bruce prefers defense over offense...and I worry Stud could take more time to adjust at center.

I like him starting on the 3rd line...but getting some PP time on the 2nd unit.

Debrusk Stud Coyle Reilly Gryz

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Ryan Spooner is a better comp for AHL production.

Offensive production, yes. But all around game Studnicka is a smarter and more well rounded player. Also, before the Covid shutdown/his injury he was tearing it up and I think he would have come close to that PPG mark in his first season in the AHL. I'm bias for sure, but I really like the player and I won't be surprised if he turns into a top-6 center.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Offensive production, yes. But all around game Studnicka is a smarter and more well rounded player. Also, before the Covid shutdown/his injury he was tearing it up and I think he would have come close to that PPG mark in his first season in the AHL. I'm bias for sure, but I really like the player and I won't be surprised if he turns into a top-6 center.
We're all rooting for him to pan out for sure! Agree he's better all around, looked solid on the PK last year. At minimum he should be a full time bottom sixer, and if he can find the offense to justify the 2C spot this team will be in a much better place moving forward.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Yes stud time ! Just hope they dont yo yo him and bring up our favorite emergency call up . Take a wild guess ?

Let’s see in preseason if he can handle 2nd line.

If they think Coyle is a batter option, he won’t hurt at 3C or 4C cause he’s good on D scoring many PK goals in AHL one year.

Either go straight with him, go the Marchand 2011 way to start 4th line and climbing up the lineup to the top with his play or trade for an immediate upgrade.

That’s the options right now.

But until they make a move, my 2nd line is Hall-Stud-Smith

Reactions: Ratty

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Studs has earned a spot. Hes played the part. And if anything he has looked a hell of a lot more impressive than Freddy/Wagner/Kuhlman this camp.

I get that fourth lines are expected to be wear and tear on the other teams. But they’re also supposed to produce here and there. Something we didn’t see much of at all last season. Give the kid his shot. It also adds even more versatility to the lineup.

JDB-Haula-Foligno
Nosek-Stud-Lazar
or
JDB-Haula-Stud
Foligno-Nosek-Lazar
Or what ever.

Not to mention I’d expect the kid to play some PP time on the second unit.

I rest my case.

Reactions: HustleB and PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Stud still has moments where he plays like a boy amongst men but overall the kid has earned his spot thru not only hard work but being productive. I think it's a no brainer that he should be in the starting lineup opening night.

Reactions: Flannelman and JCRO

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Does it make sense for his development as a center to put him on the wing when he could be playing full time center in Providence?

Overall I think he’s earned a spot in the lineup, I’m just not sure where. Not big on him playing the wing and not big on him playing a 4th line role.

Reactions: sarge88

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Does it make sense for his development as a center to put him on the wing when he could be playing full time center in Providence?

Overall I think he’s earned a spot in the lineup, I’m just not sure where. Not big on him playing the wing and not big on him playing a 4th line role.

IMO, Stud will start on the 2nd line.

Coyle will go to the third and I think they'll put him on the RW. Haula is a much better faceoff guy and with his speed, can drive the play. It'll also help ease Coyle's responsibilities coming back from knee surgery and not getting into any of the preseason games.

Foligno will be the 4th line LW to start but I don't expect him to stay there all season. He's the swiss knife, safety blanket in the event of ( and not limited to )
1. DeBrusk struggles again
2. Coyle gets reinjured
3. Stud can't hang ( forcing them to move Coyle to 2nd C ).
4. Injuries

I think the combo of Foligno and Nosek has the makings of an elite 4th line.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Coyle will go to the third and I think they'll put him on the RW. Haula is a much better faceoff guy and with his speed, can drive the play. It'll also help ease Coyle's responsibilities coming back from knee surgery and not getting into any of the preseason games.

Foligno will be the 4th line LW to start but I don't expect him to stay there all season. He's the swiss knife, safety blanket in the event of ( and not limited to )
2. Coyle gets reinjured
4. Injuries

Yeah that’s fair, I think that makes sense to start with. Although I wonder if Cassidy is looking to keep that Haula line as it was in preseason, particularly Foligno and Debrusk together with how he spoke about motivating him.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

2. Coyle gets reinjured
4. Injuries

I still think Cassidy goes full Claude Julien and doesn’t have studnicka in the lineup. Cassidy already showed he would play the veterans in the playoffs last year. Probably more of the same next year. I do think studnicka has earned a spot in the starting lineup somewhere

Reactions: kjpm and Flannelman

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Don’t know what to say. Based on what you see from various media on Twitter, and even the play by play commentary, it sounds like the decision has already been made.
There was a time when the culture was: earn a spot and we will make the room for you. feel like this kid has earned a shot and they’re worried about waiving someone and it’ll come down to numbers.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Don’t know what to say. Based on what you see from various media on Twitter, and even the play by play commentary, it sounds like the decision has already been made.
There was a time when the culture was: earn a spot and we will make the room for you. feel like this kid has earned a shot and they’re worried about waiving someone and it’ll come down to numbers.

I'm seeing this too. Are we really giving guys a chance to compete? What else could Studnicka have done to earn a roster spot this preseason?

Reactions: Flannelman

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Liked to see him get a dirty goal by going to the net. It would be sad to see him get sent down, but even if he does, you know he's gotta be first forward to get called up.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Liked to see him get a dirty goal by going to the net. It would be sad to see him get sent down, but even if he does, you know he's gotta be first forward to get called up.

My prediction is he is sent down (unfortunately).

It won't take long before a line of Fred - Nosek - Wagner struggle to put up points and things change.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

2. Coyle gets reinjured
4. Injuries

The Bruins are not paying Foligno $3.8 mil to play on the 4th line. If he struggles and winds up there, a la Backes, that's different. But he certainly won't be starting there. I'd bet the house on it.

Coyle I can potentially see not starting at 2C with at most just one practice game under his belt. You may well be right on that one. Does that mean Studnicka starts there, as opposed to Haula or anyone else? Possibly. But it'll be intended as a stopgap, with Coyle to step into the role unless Stud really impresses super-quickly.

I'd like to see Studnicka get a run at 4C - I think he's gone close to proving he's now got the defensive skills to do it - but Cassidy and Sweeney seem pretty set on Nosek getting that position, even though he looks to me like he could also be a handy winger and I'd rather Stud or Frederic in the middle. But all signs point to Nosek at this point, which may shortly leave Jack on the outside looking in. I don't think he should be, but it feels like that's what's likely to happen. Even so, there'll be injuries before long, so he should still get his chance at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The Bruins are not paying Foligno $3.8 mil to play on the 4th line. If he struggles and winds up there, a la Backes, that's different. But he certainly won't be starting there. I'd bet the house on it.

Coyle I can potentially see not starting at 2C with at most just one practice game under his belt. You may well be right on that one. Does that mean Studnicka starts there, as opposed to Haula or anyone else? Possibly. But it'll be intended as a stopgap, with Coyle to step into the role unless Stud really impresses super-quickly.

I'd like to see Studnicka get a run at 4C - I think he's gone close to proving he's now got the defensive skills to do it - but Cassidy and Sweeney seem pretty set on Nosek getting that position, even though he looks to me like he could also be a handy winger and I'd rather Stud or Frederic in the middle. But all signs point to Nosek at this point, which may shortly leave Jack on the outside looking in. I don't think he should be, but it feels like that's what's likely to happen. Even so, there'll be injuries before long, so he should still get his chance at some point.
Yeah. They didn't have Bergeron convince him to pick Boston over playing with his brother to be on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->