Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If we aren't getting good value in a trade, might as well just throw him to wolves and see what we have before he joins the band of misfit prospects this organization seems to churn out. (and the ones that work out tend to once they leave here).

Not even saying Studnicka is gonna make it, but unless we are getting fair value in a trade to get an actual #2 solution (non-rental), then I say just see what Studnicka can do. If it's nothing, move on. He's hardly a bluechipper, but he's a solid center prospect, and probably currently the best/most NHL ready in the system. So unless he's part of a return for a long term #2 solution, I'd rather see what we have.
Considering the additions Sweeney just made in free agency I’d say he doesn’t have much confidence in Studnicka at center. Cassidy doesn’t seem to trust young centers. Frederic was at LW, Studnicka at RW. Maybe one of them skates over Lazar at 4C?

I think we see:
Bergeron
Coyle
Foligno
Lazar

Reactions: NeelyDan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bergeron
Coyle
Foligno
Haula

Not an impressive group, but there’s no chance Studnicka plays center over any of the above

To be fair the last three guys on that list had 6, 7, and 9 goals last year. Not exactly like they were lighting it up either.

Studnicka is young and not having a real offseason probably affected him more than any of those guys. Interested to see if studnicka can make a nice jump now that he has a semi normal offseason with the team this season.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Game 7 Backes would like to know this as well.
I hate Kuhlman in the same way I hated Riley Nash... not the player's fault, but the coach who overplayed him.
I don't blame Cassidy for playing Kuhlman in game 7 but I admit I was surprised. Kuhlman came off a pretty good game in game 6 so Cassidy was probably thinking don't change something that isn't broken. We have no idea if Backes would've made that much of a difference in game 7 and honestly at that point he probably wouldn't have.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Nosek is going to surprise you wait and see.Kid is hungry has size and gaining confidence.As for Studnicka I would say this year is it.Make or break.No more excuses he has had the time to prepare now its time to get it done and crack the lineup.
Hoping for the stud we need a young C take over the torch. Dk is done and bergy is on his last legs here. We so thin at centers. Bad drafting for sure . Hope donny hits with stud.

Reactions: Ratty

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Considering the additions Sweeney just made in free agency I’d say he doesn’t have much confidence in Studnicka at center. Cassidy doesn’t seem to trust young centers. Frederic was at LW, Studnicka at RW. Maybe one of them skates over Lazar at 4C?

I think we see:
Bergeron
Coyle
Foligno
Lazar
Can’t blame Sweeney
Studnicka has maybe 10 games under his belt
Cassidy you can’t ride one line through the playoffs, let some of these guys play
Yes they are going to make mistakes but they need to play

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To be fair the last three guys on that list had 6, 7, and 9 goals last year. Not exactly like they were lighting it up either.

Studnicka is young and not having a real offseason probably affected him more than any of those guys. Interested to see if studnicka can make a nice jump now that he has a semi normal offseason with the team this season.

I would add that Studnicka has more offensive ability than those 3 even now.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If no deal is made to bring a centre in than I start the year with Studnicka at 2C. Give him a real chance to excel. He won’t hurt you in the defensive end so that’s a plus. Last year Studnicka played well in spurts and was scratched the next game. Cassidy needs to give this guy a shot. He will make mistakes but I think he could be the long term solution at 2C. This of course if Sweeney makes no more moves.

Hall-Studnicka-Smith

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I am really interested to see if Stud can break out this year. I looked at comparable development of Krejci & Marchand after they were drafted:

Krejci:
--20 years old, 1.07 ppg in Prov, cup of coffee in Bos
--21 yo, 1.12 ppg in Prov, 0.48 ppg in Bos
--22 yo, 0.89 ppg in Bos

Marchy:
--20 yo, 0.75 ppg in Prov
--21 yo, 0.94 ppg in Prov, 1 pt in 20 games in Bos
--22 yo, 0.53 ppg in Bos

Stud:
--20 yo, 0.82 ppg in Prov, couple games in Bos
--21 yo, 0.63 ppg in Prov., 3 points in 20 games in Bos
--22yo ???????

I'm not saying he will be Krejci or Marchy by a loooooong shot, just looking at comparative development with players who showed offensive success (>0.70 ppg) in Providence at 20 yo. I'm sure there are other examples but these are the ones I thought of. Stud seemed to take a step back this year but it was also a strange year. I feel like this year will be telling on where his career is headed.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't blame Cassidy for playing Kuhlman in game 7 but I admit I was surprised. Kuhlman came off a pretty good game in game 6 so Cassidy was probably thinking don't change something that isn't broken. We have no idea if Backes would've made that much of a difference in game 7 and honestly at that point he probably wouldn't have.
This is no offense to Kuhlman, but I've always seen him as playing in a meaningful game that we have run out of options and the end is near.

Solid hustle, but overall outside of that playoff goal in 2019, which lead him to being played in the following playoff game, he's all hustle with lack of NHL finish. To me AHL top 6, NHL tweener. He hasn't shown me that he's a particularly strong player in other facets of the game to be anything more than a hustle guy without enough NHL skill/traits to keep him on a full time NHL roster.

Reactions: inactive user

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I am really interested to see if Stud can break out this year. I looked at comparable development of Krejci & Marchand after they were drafted:

Krejci:
--22 yo, 0.89 ppg in Bos

Marchy:
--22 yo, 0.53 ppg in Bos

Stud:
--22yo ???????

I'm not saying he will be Krejci or Marchy by a loooooong shot, just looking at comparative development with players who showed offensive success (>0.70 ppg) in Providence at 20 yo. I'm sure there are other examples but these are the ones I thought of. Stud seemed to take a step back this year but it was also a strange year. I feel like this year will be telling on where his career is headed.
This is why I think it's important to give him a solid chance there.

Not immediate top 6, but Krejci started proving his worth on the 4th and 3rd lines. Then the unfortunate Savard situation, propelled Krejci into a place where he kinda of took over from there. Not at all saying Studnicka can or will elevate his game that way, but a roster hole gave Krejci a shot at more important minutes, and he developed from there. With Krejci gone, Coyle/Haula/Foligno as 2C stop gaps at most, and see if Studnicka can handle a 4th or 3rd line regular duties as C and if he can expand his game from there.

Obviously the kid needs to earn it, but he was drafted and touted as a solid prospect for a reason, so considering where we are with the lifeline of the team, I think it's important for everyone involved for him to get a fair shake. I don't know about others, but I see this team as currently constructed anywhere from the 5-10 seed in conference, and if we are fighting for our lives to just make the playoffs, we aren't going to do much damage there anyways, so might as well try to help develop the guys we have. Honestly, I think Krejci playing important minutes during the late 2000's is really where he started to develop. We obviously had some serious injury issues going on, but playing on subpar Bruins teams, allowed him to get his game to the next level. If we are being honest with ourselves, this team is in transition, and shouldn't be considered a contender with contender goals.

Spooner, Koko, JFK, all centers in the Bruins system that while not having high end potential, had middle 6 projections at the time of draft. All hit a wall and never quite developed their game at the NHL level. Maybe it's them, maybe it's our system.

Perhaps our guys just suck in the first place, but I think there's probably some correlation between most of our forward players not panning out as NHL players and the development process for the Bruins. Maybe it's completely bad drafting, but part of me really wonders if we just aren't doing the proper job developing these kids. Reality is a mix of both, but they should make the efforts to resolve both. And it can start as soon as now.

Last edited:

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

Krejci:
--22 yo, 0.89 ppg in Bos

Marchy:
--22 yo, 0.53 ppg in Bos

Stud:
--22yo ???????

I looked at this the other day too. He was on a similar trajectory... has an awesome 20yo campaign but really really dropped off last year, which I'll attribute some to the pandemic etc... but that drop off could prove to be a good thing if it really motivated him. I think he knows he's got a tremendous opportunity in front of him and hopefully this offseason gives him the strength and confidence he needs to come into camp and solidify/steal a job. He's got the most skill out of any 2C options that we have right now.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
The hell we can't. If not for Sweeney, Bergeron is our 2C and Barzal is the 1C
If we go back further, we'd have a Seguin / Bergeron 1-2 lined up after Krejci left, if they didn't botch that up, too. (Sweeney wasn't manager then, but he was still part of it at the time)

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Stud time has arrived.

Let’s see if he can run with it.

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
Hall-Stud-Smith
DeBrusk-Coyle-Foligno
Nosek-Frederic-Haula
Lazar

to be perfectly clear I think that’s a fine line up even if stud plays only up to where one would conventionally expect him to

trouble is I doubt Cassidy allows it. But he’s the genius that was able to out coach Craig f***ing Berube in game 7 though so I won’t question him

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Still think the kid should start on the 3rd line....no need to hand him 2nd line. That belongs to Coyle.

Marchand | Bergie | Pasta
Hall | Coyle | Smith
Debrusk | Stud | Foligno
Haula | Lazar| Nosek

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Still think the kid should start on the 3rd line....no need to hand him 2nd line. That belongs to Coyle.

Marchand | Bergie | Pasta
Hall | Coyle | Smith
Debrusk | Stud | Foligno
Haula | Lazar| Nosek

I understand this thought process, but at the same time, I actually think he might have it easier playing with a driver like Hall... get it into his hands and find open space. Kid has the hockey IQ to do what needs to be done on line 2.... not saying they should hand it to him, but give him some time in that spot during camp, let it be a competition and see who comes out on top. We know one thing for sure, aside from the top line... Bruce juggles a ton... and with this lineup I expect a lot of different combinations

Reactions: inactive user

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

Krejci:
--22 yo, 0.89 ppg in Bos

Marchy:
--22 yo, 0.53 ppg in Bos

Stud:
--22yo ???????

Ryan Spooner is a better comp for AHL production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->