Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Looking back on this, 100%. Why the f*** were we playing this guy so much?

Good motor, plays with pace, good IQ. Knows where he needs to be and gets there with conviction. He's not afraid to make contact, despite his average frame. Hands are that of a 4th line/AHL tweener and that is ultimately what will make or break his career. He's got 13 points in 56 games which is par for the course for a 4th liner, however they keep mis-using him and putting him with 2nd/3rd line talent. The kid is probably a professional off the ice to go along with some things on ice that they like ( his uptempo pace, skating, etc etc ), so they want to work with him to give him a chance. But he's a jag and I think the strings need to be cut.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Are we talking about the same Jack Studnicka??? The Jack Studnicka I’ve watched is barely an NHLer yet he’s now going to center the 2nd line in Boston??
If we aren't getting good value in a trade, might as well just throw him to wolves and see what we have before he joins the band of misfit prospects this organization seems to churn out. (and the ones that work out tend to once they leave here).

Not even saying Studnicka is gonna make it, but unless we are getting fair value in a trade to get an actual #2 solution (non-rental), then I say just see what Studnicka can do. If it's nothing, move on. He's hardly a bluechipper, but he's a solid center prospect, and probably currently the best/most NHL ready in the system. So unless he's part of a return for a long term #2 solution, I'd rather see what we have.

Reactions: TCB

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If we aren't getting good value in a trade, might as well just throw him to wolves and see what we have before he joins the band of misfit prospects this organization seems to churn out. (and the ones that work out tend to once they leave here).

Not even saying Studnicka is gonna make it, but unless we are getting fair value in a trade to get an actual #2 solution (non-rental), then I say just see what Studnicka can do. If it's nothing, move on.
If the intention is to make the playoffs then Studnicka doesn’t sniff a minute at center. Maybe give him 20-25 games at RW see what he does with it

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bergeron
Coyle
Foligno
Haula

Not an impressive group, but there’s no chance Studnicka plays center over any of the above

There is definitely a chance Studnicka plays over one of these centers.

Also I am not understanding this logic of Haula on the 4th line. Do people really think they’re going to pay 4.5M in 4th line players? Haula at 2.75M was not brought in to play on the 4th line.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
If the intention is to make the playoffs then Studnicka doesn’t sniff a minute at center. Maybe give him 20-25 games at RW see what he does with it

pretty serious indictment of the guy, the FO that drafted him, and the Bs ability to develop.

Drafted as a C but doesn’t sniff a minute of C time.

when does he? Next year? The year after? Never? If that’s the case package him up and send him away.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I dont understand this either. Why not give him a chance? You either believe he has the talent and potential to do it or you dont. If you do, give him a chance, if you dont what is he even doing here?

If he sucks 20 games in send him to providence. I dont see what the biggie is, i mean the other plan is to put in Coyle…

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Goals: Playoffs

Is it better to squeeze into the playoffs with a team that's realistically not going to do much damage. Take an honest look at this team. I don't think they are a favorite of anything right now. Solid team, but on the downward trend. They make it to the playoffs, they are 1 or 2 series team to me at this point. Maybe they can convince others of more, but the 2 glaring holes on this team are still there at the top.

Goal: Building a strong longer term team.

This involves drafting and developing better. Is Studnicka part of that? I don't know. But we really need to see what we have. We did it with our D last year, and honestly, many of those guys looked solid until injuries really hurt our team, and kids were playing above their heads at that point. Forwards, we haven't quite had the chance to see it. We've basically filled the bottom half of the roster at this point. So where do the kids fit in, and how do we see what we have? And in doing that, shouldn't we also put them in the best place to succeed? If they can't succeed when given a chance to succeed, then yes, maybe it's time to move on. But we won't know if Studnicka can handle it yet, because there hasn't been a chance. With Krejci's departure, I fully believe in the best man gets the job. But that also means giving different players a chance there.

Will Coyle step his game up?
Is Haula an underrated signing?
Will Studnicka step up and take the reigns?

As an organization, I'd see what we have. I don't think giving a kid a half dozen games in the spot is going to hurt our chances. And if playing Studnicka 6 games at C really hurts our playoff chances, maybe we aren't really a playoff team to begin with.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Jack, it's all on you this summer.

You could be walking into a 2nd line role with a Hart trophy winning LW playmaker and a Rocket Richard winning RWer.

Or you could rot in Providence like the rest of the hyped prospects who can't live up to their potential.

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Hall - Studnicka - Pastrnak

OR

Lauko - Studnicka - Senyshyn

Choose.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Are we talking about the same Jack Studnicka??? The Jack Studnicka I’ve watched is barely an NHLer yet he’s now going to center the 2nd line in Boston??
Brad Marchand had 1 point in 20 games the year before he scored 21 goals and helped lead the team to a Cup. Krejci had 4 points in his first 20 NHL games and then had 96 points in his next 124 games.

Nobody had either of these guys penciled in as top 6 players until suddenly they were.

I'm not saying Stud is for sure gonna have the same kind of breakout year, but it starts with the opportunity. With the Bergeron line being the Bergeron line and now the bottom 6 having added a lot of veteran depth, it's not totally crazy to think Studnicka could be successful playing between Taylor Hall and Craig Smith. That's a ton of insulation to allow him to just play his game & find his offense.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Bergeron
Coyle
Foligno
Haula

Not an impressive group, but there’s no chance Studnicka plays center over any of the above
I disagree, I feel he'll be given plenty opportunity to start as the 3C with a chance to move up to 2C.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Is that the norm or the exception?
I'm responding to your post outright mocking the idea that a player who didn't look NHL ready 1 season could actually turn into an NHL regular a year later. I didn't say it was the norm. But statistically most amateur hockey players don't become NHL regulars, so even sticking in the NHL at all isn't the norm. The point is that every player who did become an NHL regular (and even a high end top 6 forward) had a year where they weren't ready for full-time NHL duty followed by a year where they became an NHL regular. Mocking the idea as if no rookie with a 20 game sample size has ever turned into an NHLer is just being willfully obtuse. Where do you think NHL players come from?

As I've already said in this thread, Marchand & Krejci are good examples of guys who were not impressive after 20 NHL games but then a year later were high end players. I'm not counting on Studnicka to do the same, but literally the only way for it to happen is for him to get the chance. And to be clear I'm not advocating for him to be penciled in as 2nd line center without earning it. But if he has a strong camp, then I'd absolutely give him a look there in the preseason. If that shows promise then I give him some regular season games there, and so on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it's ridiculous to scoff at the idea when I know you know better.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
I'm responding to your post outright mocking the idea that a player who didn't look NHL ready 1 season could actually turn into an NHL regular a year later. I didn't say it was the norm. But statistically most amateur hockey players don't become NHL regulars, so even sticking in the NHL at all isn't the norm. The point is that every player who did become an NHL regular (and even a high end top 6 forward) had a year where they weren't ready for full-time NHL duty followed by a year where they became an NHL regular. Mocking the idea as if no rookie with a 20 game sample size has ever turned into an NHLer is just being willfully obtuse. Where do you think NHL players come from?

As I've already said in this thread, Marchand & Krejci are good examples of guys who were not impressive after 20 NHL games but then a year later were high end players. I'm not counting on Studnicka to do the same, but literally the only way for it to happen is for him to get the chance. And to be clear I'm not advocating for him to be penciled in as 2nd line center without earning it. But if he has a strong camp, then I'd absolutely give him a look there in the preseason. If that shows promise then I give him some regular season games there, and so on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it's ridiculous to scoff at the idea when I know you know better.

Especially when a good portion of that 20 game sample wasn't even played at Center. The only way to see if he can flourish is give him a real shot and not bench him after his first defensive zone blown coverage.

Reactions: inactive user

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm responding to your post 1: outright mocking the idea that a player who didn't look NHL ready 1 season could actually turn into an NHL regular a year later. I didn't say it was the norm. But statistically most amateur hockey players don't become NHL regulars, so even sticking in the NHL at all isn't the norm. 2. The point is that every player who did become an NHL regular (and even a high end top 6 forward) had a year where they weren't ready for full-time NHL duty followed by a year where they became an NHL regular. 3. Mocking the idea as if no rookie with a 20 game sample size has ever turned into an NHLer is just being willfully obtuse. Where do you think NHL players come from?

As I've already said in this thread, Marchand & Krejci are good examples of guys who were not impressive after 20 NHL games but then a year later were high end players. 4. I'm not counting on Studnicka to do the same, but literally the only way for it to happen is for him to get the chance. And to be clear I'm not advocating for him to be penciled in as 2nd line center without earning it. But if he has a strong camp, then I'd absolutely give him a look there in the preseason. If that shows promise then I give him some regular season games there, and so on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, 5. but it's ridiculous to scoff at the idea when I know you know better.

1. When the f*** did I say that? You go ahead and find a post where I did. Let me know how that goes. I specifically mocked people saying he can fill in for Krejci. That wouldn't be a good bet even if he looked like an NHL player last year, which he did not. At any point.

2. That's not true. That's not true at all. Not every player NHL player had a year where they weren't ready for full-time NHL duty. It's less common, absolutely. But saying that like it's an absolute truth is factually wrong.

3. Please see point 1.

4. Putting him on the second line to start the season, which is what some people are literally doing and what I mocked, is just as likely to set him up for failure than it is to set him up to succeed.

5. Planning on Studnicka capably filling that #2C role is a bet with low odds. Many people are doing just that. That's absurd. It's hoping to hit an inside straight. Yeah, you might hit a four-outer. Doesn't mean it was wise to put your chips in the middle of the pot.

6. :pre-deleted:

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Putting him on one of the C spots on line 2-4 and seeing who gels best with Hall is what I would do.

No spot should be guaranteed, but I also would give any of the C's we have an opportunity.

This said, if we have an actual good offer for a mid 20s top 6 center and Studnicka is in the package I'm fine with it.

If we are sending him out for some rental, I'd be highly against that before seeing what we have ie. Rotate him in the C slot with some reasonable amount of time and talent before saying he just didn't work out.

Reactions: inactive user

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad