Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Looks like he is at least a fourth line nhl talent. He has come a long way. His speed combined with toughness and seems to have some hockey iq too

He has some decent hands on him too-I can see him becoming a solid third line in the not too distant future and who knows after that.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Kegs

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Congrats and looking forward to many more goals.

Rather have him then Bjork in the lineup when Pasta comes back. He needs to play with Krech and start apprenticing. keep Stud with Krech and Ritchie. Jake can play with Coyle and Smith.

Me and you Mick... me and you buddy. Completely agree.

Give me:
Brad-Patrick-David
Nicholas-David-Jack
Jake-Charles-Craig

Reactions: NDiesel

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
In The Athletic today, Fluto says they're going to leave him on RW all season in Providence.

If I'm reading the tea leaves right, that means the Bruins are now planning to re-sign Krejci in the offseason, rather than have Stud take over. He'll have to break in at RW if everyone stays healthy.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
In The Athletic today, Fluto says they're going to leave him on RW all season in Providence.

If I'm reading the tea leaves right, that means the Bruins are now planning to re-sign Krejci in the offseason, rather than have Stud take over. He'll have to break in at RW if everyone stays healthy.
Unless Krejci is willing to sign a 1 year deal, I'd pass. We need cap space for 2022 in order to make a run at Barkov. If we miss on a Barkov type player this offseason or next offseason, we're going to need to do a rebuild. These next 2 offseasons are probably the most important in recent memory for this franchise.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Who are you getting in a trade? Look what Dubois just cost!

Centers are tough to come by. I think Krejci has 2-3 more good years in him. He still looks great.
We need to prepare for the next run. Realistically, we're probably not going to be a major threat to win the cup 2-3 years from now unless we bring in some elite players. Barkov can help this franchise for the next run and would be a deadly combo with Pasta in the years going forward. If we don't bring in an elite player via free agency or trade over the next year or two we're going to have to go through a rebuild. I'd rather keep Krejci's money off the books for the 2022-2023 season and use it to go after Barkov. If we miss out on him or other elite players, then it's time to rebuild.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
We need to prepare for the next run. Realistically, we're probably not going to be a major threat to win the cup 2-3 years from now unless we bring in some elite players. Barkov can help this franchise for the next run and would be a deadly combo with Pasta in the years going forward. If we don't bring in an elite player via free agency or trade over the next year or two we're going to have to go through a rebuild. I'd rather keep Krejci's money off the books for the 2022-2023 season and use it to go after Barkov. If we miss out on him or other elite players, then it's time to rebuild.

I think the Studnicka move to RW means that Sweeney doesn't share your strategy.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think the Studnicka move to RW means that Sweeney doesn't share your strategy.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Not a fan of it if that's his strategy, but I agree that what I want probably won't happen. With Krejci you're a guaranteed playoff team, and I don't think Sweeney and Neely want to risk losing him and striking out at finding a #2 Center this offseason and next. Maybe they have a plan this offseason to get a winger? The UFA group at forward is VERY deep. It might be a pipe dream, but I still want Landeskog.

Last edited:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Not a fan of it if that's his strategy, but I agree that what I want probably won't happen. With Krejci you're a guaranteed playoff team, and I don't think Sweeney and Neely want to risk losing him and striking out at finding a #2 Center this offseason and next. Maybe they have a plan this offseason to get a winger? The UFA group at forward is VERY deep. It might be a pipe dream, but I still want Landeskog.

I think you have to stay well away from Landeskog. He is the exact type of player (very physical) you don't want to sign to a long term contract at 29 years old. Think Backes and Lucic for recent examples.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think you have to stay well away from Landeskog. He is the exact type of player (very physical) you don't want to sign to a long term contract at 29 years old. Think Backes and Lucic for recent examples.
I think the difference is that Backes was 4 years older than Landeskog when he hit the market and hadn't hit 60 points in his last 3 years in STL. His numbers declined in his final year, too. Landeskog's PPG over the last 3 years was higher than Backes' and he's on pace for 60+ points if this were a 82 game season. Most people, myself included, thought that Backes would have 3 productive years before his contract would get ugly the last year or two. If Landeskog signs a 6 year deal that would take him to age 34, which was how old Backes was when he had his last semi-productive year here. Landeskog is still in his prime.

Lucic was also a different animal because for the first half of his last year here he was lazy and a bit cashed out. It took playing with 2 young guys (Spooner and Pasta) to get him to move his ass and be productive. Sweeney moved him at the right time, because you could tell that he'd get an asinine contract from someone and it would be a disaster. Ironically, it was Chiarelli who gave him that contract a year later. Landeskog is more skilled than Backes and Lucic were when they hit free agency.

Reactions: Lo97

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I think the difference is that Backes was 4 years older than Landeskog when he hit the market and hadn't hit 60 points in his last 3 years in STL. His numbers declined in his final year, too. Landeskog's PPG over the last 3 years was higher than Backes' and he's on pace for 60+ points if this were a 82 game season. Most people, myself included, thought that Backes would have 3 productive years before his contract would get ugly the last year or two. If Landeskog signs a 6 year deal that would take him to age 34, which was how old Backes was when he had his last semi-productive year here. Landeskog is still in his prime.

Lucic was also a different animal because for the first half of his last year here he was lazy and a bit cashed out. It took playing with 2 young guys (Spooner and Pasta) to get him to move his ass and be productive. Sweeney moved him at the right time, because you could tell that he'd get an asinine contract from someone and it would be a disaster. Ironically, it was Chiarelli who gave him that contract a year later. Landeskog is more skilled than Backes and Lucic were when they hit free agency.

Good points. Not that it changes your argument much, but Backes was 32 (not 33) when he hit free agency and a 6 year deal would make Landeskog 35 at expiry (Nov. birthday), not 34.

I remember a lot of people on here and some media, myself included, who thought they wouldn't get $6M in value even in Backes' first year... and they very much didn't.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

or the B`s will go full youth movement, caution to the wind, let DK go in off season, Beecher slides into the 3C role, Coyle in 2 C.....highly doubt it, really just posting this to read the reactions:)

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The Bruins need to replace two premier centers over the next 3-4 years. Since the 2006 draft, this organization has identified and developed just one legit first or second line center in 14 years, Tyler Seguin, and we had to have the #2 pick to get him.

This organization absolutely needs Studnicka to become a 60+ point center with a solid all around game. If we are really at ground zero in terms of replacing Krejci and Bergeron, the future of this franchise is in trouble.

Reactions: Lo97

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
or the B`s will go full youth movement, caution to the wind, let DK go in off season, Beecher slides into the 3C role, Coyle in 2 C.....highly doubt it, really just posting this to read the reactions:)
I'd be fine with that. I want us to make a run at Barkov in 2022 and have money off the books.

Reactions: ODAAT

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Bruins need to replace two premier centers over the next 3-4 years. Since the 2006 draft, this organization has identified and developed just one legit first or second line center in 14 years, Tyler Seguin, and we had to have the #2 pick to get him.

This organization absolutely needs Studnicka to become a 60+ point center with a solid all around game. If we are really at ground zero in terms of replacing Krejci and Bergeron, the future of this franchise is in trouble.

I'm still holding out hope that Barkov makes it to FA and Boston grabs him.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Whatever hope exists will fade quickly when Sweeney offers him a 6 year deal at $6.8AAV.

I'm going to guess that number was picked because that would be Bergeron's cap hit and no one gets more than him (outside of Krejci/Rask). Interesting to note though, Bergeron would be a UFA the same time (assuming he doesn't do an ext. ahead of time) as Barkov. Now lets just say Sweeney offered him a similar deal. When Bergy signed his deal it was for 10.69% of the teams cap space. Now I think for 2022-2023 the cap is supposed to be around $83 million, so that would put the cap hit around $8.8 million. That would be low obviously and probably $1.5 to $2.5 million short per year.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Looked pretty good centering the fast and furious line. Several really good chances. Debrusk got robbed

Really nice fakeout pass to Pasta for the one timer hat trick goal

The Bruins have their future 2nd or 3rd C

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Looked pretty good centering the fast and furious line. Several really good chances. Debrusk got robbed

Really nice fakeout pass to Pasta for the one timer hat trick goal

The Bruins have their future 2nd or 3rd C

And that future could start next year if the Bruins decide to move on from a 35 year old Krejci. Personally I think it might be a wise move as the Bruins slowly phase out their aging core yet still remain a power, not easy to do.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
And that future could start next year if the Bruins decide to move on from a 35 year old Krejci. Personally I think it might be a wise move as the Bruins slowly phase out their aging core yet still remain a power, not easy to do.

It will start next season. At this rate, Stud has it locked up

I like his size, skating, determination, two way play and underrated skills.

I still remember early in the season, when the Bruins couldn't buy a 5 v 5 goal for close to 4 periods. Stud crashed the net and took the monkey off the back of the team

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad