Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Silly me - No left shot has ever played RW, nor has a C ever played RW.

Studnicka has play exclusively at Center since turning Pro. He played center in Jr's and the only time he played really played RW was at WJC. If Boston was willing to let him play RW, why haven't they gotten a look at him yet? This team is desperate for a Top 6 RW, you'd think if they felt like they had one that they'd call him up :huh:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Hope to see more. Hes very creative.

But FFS shoot the puck!!!!! Nothing irritates me more than young players that can work their way into the slot and they opt for a last minute pass to a guy off to the side/almost behind the net lmao.

Reactions: bbfan419

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Hope to see more. Hes very creative.

But FFS shoot the puck!!!!! Nothing irritates me more than young players that can work their way into the slot and they opt for a last minute pass to a guy off to the side/almost behind the net lmao.
I only got to see bits and pieces of the game but he had 3 shots on goal in 11.5 minutes of ice time, in his 3rd NHL game. Not too shabby.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I only got to see bits and pieces of the game but he had 3 shots on goal in 11.5 minutes of ice time, in his 3rd NHL game. Not too shabby.
He could’ve had more from what I saw. But made the extra pass.

No it’s not a terrible knock. Just a pet peeve of mine with younger players. Especially with his skill set. Shooooooot

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Really like him, but there are two things he needs to improve.

1) Play-strength. He looks like a string bean out there and he can get pushed off the puck by NHL defensemen. He needs to spend more time in the weight room and put on another 10-20 pounds.

2) Offensive aggressiveness. I noticed it particularly on the first powerplay, but he needs to look to shoot more. I'd describe his offensive game in the last two games as conservative and a bit cautious. I'm guessing the coaches have told him to keep it simple, but he's got to attack the net more.

Reactions: JCRO

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

1) Play-strength. He looks like a string bean out there and he can get pushed off the puck by NHL defensemen. He needs to spend more time in the weight room and put on another 10-20 pounds.

2) Offensive aggressiveness. I noticed it particularly on the first powerplay, but he needs to look to shoot more. I'd describe his offensive game in the last two games as conservative and a bit cautious. I'm guessing the coaches have told him to keep it simple, but he's got to attack the net more.

He's naturally a playmaker which is why he probably doesn't look to shoot first.

In juniors he was nearly 2:1 assist to goal ration. This past year (first year in the A) he was closer to a 1:1 in goals to assist, so its something he's working on.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Cassidy had him in front of the net on PP2 for at least one PP. Dont understand the logic behind that at all as I agree with your first point. Hes still a bit of a string bean.

And yes. Hopefully as he gets more comfortable hopefully he starts shooting rather than dishing.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Cassidy had him in front of the net on PP2 for at least one PP. Dont understand the logic behind that at all as I agree with your first point. Hes still a bit of a string bean.

And yes. Hopefully as he gets more comfortable hopefully he starts shooting rather than dishing.

Good hand-eye as a tip guy and can play that bumper role similar to Bergeron. He's going to get knocked around, but again he won't learn to handle the bigger size guys while sitting on the bench

Reactions: BMC

esmith3283

Feb 14, 2010
Very quiet/vanilla game from the 2nd line which becomes a huge issue as the playoffs advance - but Studnicka continues to pass the eyeball test for me and I would be disappointed if he didn't get a full opportunity in the next two games to keep building on things with Krejci/Debrusk.

That back check was impressive and to me the highlight reel play of the night for the Bruins (not a good sign) - that was equal parts effort and skill.

He and Krejci seem to be on the same page, they are around each other and at least attempting plays with each other more than you tend to see with Krejci/Debrusk - curious if you toss Ritchie with them if that could be an interesting look? Move Debrusk down with Coyle? I dunno just spitballing.

Reactions: BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Very quiet/vanilla game from the 2nd line which becomes a huge issue as the playoffs advance - but Studnicka continues to pass the eyeball test for me and I would be disappointed if he didn't get a full opportunity in the next two games to keep building on things with Krejci/Debrusk.

That back check was impressive and to me the highlight reel play of the night for the Bruins (not a good sign) - that was equal parts effort and skill.

He and Krejci seem to be on the same page, they are around each other and at least attempting plays with each other more than you tend to see with Krejci/Debrusk - curious if you toss Ritchie with them if that could be an interesting look? Move Debrusk down with Coyle? I dunno just spitballing.

Based on today's practice lines I'm going to guess that he's not in the line-up vs TBL

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Bright future.

He is not ready. Fortunately for him Kase, Ritchie, Ritchie, Seny, and Khulman are not ready either...

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
I’m not happy about him coming out of the lineup. He’s been good where most of the team has not. Particularly impressed with his backchecking and hustle.

Hopefully there’s still such a thing as earning your spot. We’ll see how the team responds.

Back-check a big plus. Seems like he is a fast study and had bought in.

BruinsNetwork

I’m not happy about him coming out of the lineup. He’s been good where most of the team has not. Particularly impressed with his backchecking and hustle.

Hopefully there’s still such a thing as earning your spot. We’ll see how the team responds.

Honestly? I’m with you on Studnicka. I personally don’t see an ounce of him being vanilla, bland or bad in any game he’s played. In fact, I thought he was very good against Philly and had moments, sparks of offensive creativity that could have easily lead to a goal.

There was a moment when he dropped below the attacking goal line next to the net and dropped a pass backwards to Coyle in the crease. That could have been a goal. There was another moment when DeBrusk could have sprung him in the shot, but he didn’t take his time and it handcuffed Jack.

I’m not sure who comes out or who doesn’t as I’m not the coach. However, I will say that Studnicka looks like he belongs and Bjork has been very good so far as well. I wouldn’t want to see either of those guys sit unless they show they need to.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Honestly? I’m with you on Studnicka. I personally don’t see an ounce of him being vanilla, bland or bad in any game he’s played. In fact, I thought he was very good against Philly and had moments, sparks of offensive creativity that could have easily lead to a goal.

There was a moment when he dropped below the attacking goal line next to the net and dropped a pass backwards to Coyle in the crease. That could have been a goal. There was another moment when DeBrusk could have sprung him in the shot, but he didn’t take his time and it handcuffed Jack.

I’m not sure who comes out or who doesn’t as I’m not the coach. However, I will say that Studnicka looks like he belongs and Bjork has been very good so far as well. I wouldn’t want to see either of those guys sit unless they show they need to.
This was the one that stood out to me. I think he's looked good otherwise.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Couldn’t agree more, BN.

Bjork is oft-mentioned as a guy to sit as well, but I saw real hustle in his game, some net drive and scoring chances off of his stick. He’s been good.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
What the heck did he do to get benched and banished from the lineup?

I do not remember anything egregious to warrant it but I could have missed something.

There were times that he looked green in his hesitations and play choices. But I thought he made up for that by turning dead plays into something with his creativity and speed. Yeah he was losing board battles, but hells bells most of the Bruins were the last two games.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
If Kase isn't ready yet I see zero reason Studnicka should sit in favor for Kuhlman. I think he was arguably our best forward against Columbus. I guess Cassidy saw a lot more that he didn't like against Philly. I appreciate Kuhlman's effort and his willingness to stick his nose in there but Studnicka has way more skill and potential. I want to see him play.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

this management group has been very stubborn when it comes to what kid gets to play and where

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Played like a 10 year vet Today

should be 4th Line center next season

Fits the blueprint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad