Jack Skille

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I really like Skille. He's got lots of speed, and a lethal shot. His upside is huge, but there is consistency that comes into question. I would say his upside is one of Bill Guerin. The good thing about this kid is that is is able to play different types of roles, whether it be a checker or a scorer. It would be safe to say Skille will easily be a future second liner on the Hawks.

CronoX

Mar 15, 2006
Hockeytown, MI
I really like Skille. He's got lots of speed, and a lethal shot. His upside is huge, but there is consistency that comes into question. I would say his upside is one of Bill Guerin. The good thing about this kid is that is is able to play different types of roles, whether it be a checker or a scorer. It would be safe to say Skille will easily be a future second liner on the Hawks.

do you think its likely he's good enough to be a first line player? can he be compared to Ryan Smyth as his best upside?

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
do you think its likely he's good enough to be a first line player? can he be compared to Ryan Smyth as his best upside?

He's a different player than Ryan Smyth, but yes, he is definately capable of having first line upside. If development goes perfectly, I don't think it would be out of the question for Skille to hit 40 goals and 90 points throughout his career.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's a different player than Ryan Smyth, but yes, he is definately capable of having first line upside. If development goes perfectly, I don't think it would be out of the question for Skille to hit 40 goals and 90 points throughout his career.

I think that's a stretch. I don't think he has that type of top end talent. I see more of a 35-40 goal and 75-80 point type potential. Anything above that I think is out of his reach.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think that's a stretch. I don't think he has that type of top end talent. I see more of a 35-40 goal and 75-80 point type potential. Anything above that I think is out of his reach.

I agree. Skille doesn't have the creativity to score at that level (pointswise). He does though possess a lethal shot and is an excellent skater with some nifty one-on-one ability. The Bill Guerin (at his best) comparison is spot-on.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Let's be honest about Skille: he was a disappointment as a freshman at Wisconsin and his hockey sense is now considered questionable by those who have followed him closely.

I'm not Blackhawks fan, but I tracked Wisconsin very closely last year because I like the team and because Joe Pavelski is a Sharks prospect. Beyond Skille's boxscores (which were not great: 13-8-21 in 41 games is not impressive for a freshman forward who's game is supposed to be his offense), most of the Wisconsin fans I talked to said that the only really good games Skille played were at the end. While it speaks well of him that he raised his level of play when it mattered most, the fact of the matter is that he was invisible for big parts of the season.

Just staying within the WCHA, top freshman prospects should average a point-per-game or better to be considered to have had a "good" offensive season. Kessel put up 18-33-51 in 38 games played last year for the Gophers. Oshie put up 24-21-45 in 44 games for the Sioux. This is the standard for freshmen who are considered top prospects. Hell, Joe Pavelski (a 7th round pick) put up 16-29-45 in 41 games as a freshman in '04-'05 on a weaker Wisconsin team than Skille played on last year.

The book hasn't been written on Skille yet, and there is still certainly a chance that he'll develop into a 2nd line-type player, but I think first liner is nearly out of the question and there's also a decent chance he'll bust. In spite of his high draft position, Hockey's future doesn't rate him in the top 50, which says something because those rankings have at least as much to do with draft order as they do with recent performance.

He'll probably be better than Yakubov, though.

I know...that's a cheap shot.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Let's be honest about Skille: he was a disappointment as a freshman at Wisconsin and his hockey sense is now considered questionable by those who have followed him closely.

I'm not Blackhawks fan, but I tracked Wisconsin very closely last year because I like the team and because Joe Pavelski is a Sharks prospect. Beyond Skille's boxscores (which were not great: 13-8-21 in 41 games is not impressive for a freshman forward who's game is supposed to be his offense), most of the Wisconsin fans I talked to said that the only really good games Skille played were at the end. While it speaks well of him that he raised his level of play when it mattered most, the fact of the matter is that he was invisible for big parts of the season.

Just staying within the WCHA, top freshman prospects should average a point-per-game or better to be considered to have had a "good" offensive season. Kessel put up 18-33-51 in 38 games played last year for the Gophers. Oshie put up 24-21-45 in 44 games for the Sioux. This is the standard for freshmen who are considered top prospects. Hell, Joe Pavelski (a 7th round pick) put up 16-29-45 in 41 games as a freshman in '04-'05 on a weaker Wisconsin team than Skille played on last year.

The book hasn't been written on Skille yet, and there is still certainly a chance that he'll develop into a 2nd line-type player, but I think first liner is nearly out of the question and there's also a decent chance he'll bust. In spite of his high draft position, Hockey's future doesn't rate him in the top 50, which says something because those rankings have at least as much to do with draft order as they do with recent performance.

Skille and Toews were the best Hawk forwards at this years prospect camp.

Depending on who you talk to some even said Skille was the better of the two.

We'll see how many goals he scores this year. He should be able to beat the 13 he scored last year while playin on the lower lines.

He said he's going to sign when he's NHL ready. I think he'll be on the team next year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

He'll probably be better than Yakubov, though.

I know...that's a cheap shot.

It's not a cheap shot, it's just not a very accurate or informed view of Skille, his role on the Badgers last year, and his growth as a player. You also manage to leave out his dominating performances at this year's U.S. WJC camp in Lake Placid and at the Hawks' rookie camp.

Spin the numbers all you want, but the fact is Skille (as a Freshman) started the season low on the Badgers' depth chart, but over the course of the season earned more and more ice time as well as a prominent role on the team. By the end of the year he was a go to go for a tough coach in Mike Eaves.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Skille is an all-world offensive dynamo, but he does have a very pro-friendly game and skill-set. Again, he plays much like a productive Bill Guerin, which means he uses his speed and shot to score goals on the wing. That is what he'll do in the NHL. He's a finisher.

As for not being a top fifty prospect on HF, that isn't exactly the end of the world. Lots of fine prospects are off that list, and it's not exactly NCAA friendly to begin with.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
We will see about Skille. He does certainly have an NHL body and no one is questioning his finishing ability. You're right that I haven't paid attention to Skille outside of his role in Wisconsin and you're also right that HF rankings don't mean squat. His games in college do represent the bulk of his play since being drafted, though, so it's not like I'm completely out in the cold on this player.

Listen. I like Chicago and I'd like to like Jack Skille. Wisconsin is my favorite college team and I'd be thrilled if Skille came up big for the Badgers next season. I think you overstate Eaves' toughness as a coach. He plays the best players he's got, regardless of how long they've been with the program. The aforementioned Joe Pavelski led all Badger forwards in icetime and scoring in '04-'05 as a freshman and Robbie Earl, a sophomore, was second. In fact, five of the top six forwards on the team that year were underclassmen, getting scoringline time over more established guys like Licari, Degenhardt and Funk.

Of course, the team was young in '04-'05 and pretty much everybody came back, so cracking the top lines was a tougher task for Skille, but Skille was on the 1st unit powerplay from day one (until he played himself onto the 2nd unit) and Skille was not relegated to some line with a bunch of neanderthals on skates. He spent the season moving between the Carlson and MacMurchy lines. Wisconsin only had one great line last year - the Pavelski/Earl line - and essentially the 2nd and 3rd lines were interchangeable. This is where Jack Skille found himself playing. Were he on the Pavelski/Earl line his points would have been higher, no doubt, but the simple fact of the matter is there was only really one spot even remotely open on that line in Badgers camp last year (Pavelski and Earl were entrenched) and Skille did not earn the spot, being outplayed by Adam Burish, not to mention Carlson and MacMurchy.

Mike Eaves is not Bill Parcells. If Jack Skille had shown he deserved it, he'd have gotten that top-line role, but he had a pretty bad start to the season, so what was Eaves supposed to do - stick him on Pavelski's line because he was supposed to be good?

I don't know what Skille has done outside of Wisconsin. Maybe he's putting it together. Maybe what he showed at the end of the year on the Badgers will carry over this season. But I don't know. Pavelski's gone, so there is no top center in Wisconsin - no one any better than who Skille played with last season, so if you're expecting an improvement in linemates, it is not forthcoming. Which may be a good thing. Any improvement in Jack Skille's numbers will be because he, himself, has raised him level of play, and I will be the first to admit it. Hell, I'll be thrilled.

We shall see. As I said before, I hope he does turn it on, both for the Badgers' and the Hawks' sake. I think a lot of Wisconsin fans last year expected bigger things out of Skille and were disappointed. This year will be telling because aside from Robbie Earl, Skille will be The Man, or at least should be.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I think you haven't watched Skille- much at all.

Skille's problem is his ability to finish (Like didn't you just criticize him for not scoring enough?). He creates all over the ice- mostly on transition as he has an explosive first few strides. In the offensive zone he goes to the net too much IMO (his biggest asset is his shot- he should be looking for it more).

So for you to say he "certainly can finish" to me means even if Wisconsin is your favorite college team I'm wondering how much you have seen of him- that must be a heck of a drive from NY to Madison.

:shakehead

-fullmetalninja

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think you haven't watched Skille- much at all.

Skille's problem is his ability to finish (Like didn't you just criticize him for not scoring enough?). He creates all over the ice- mostly on transition as he has an explosive first few strides. In the offensive zone he goes to the net too much IMO (his biggest asset is his shot- he should be looking for it more).

So for you to say he "certainly can finish" to me means even if Wisconsin is your favorite college team I'm wondering how much you have seen of him- that must be a heck of a drive from NY to Madison.

Never claimed I watched him live, except for TV. If seeing a prospect play most of his games live is the only qualification for comment, this board would be a ghost town.

But that's ok. If entering the conversation to insult me as somehow disingenuous and throw a couple of shallow, complimentary words Skille's way is good enough for you, who am I to stop you? I'm not even going to bother justifying my critique of Skille to you. You haven't said anything worthy of retort.

bullkirk

May 13, 2006
Jack is the new Bill Guerin...what about about Samsonov?I say this because his speed and his hability with the puck

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

Really? Last I head he dominated the US WJC summer camp and then was one of the best (if not the best) player at Hawks rookie camp.

He was a very young player playing as a freshman on the best team in the country. And the fact that he came on down the stretch and in the playoffs doesn`t impress you. There is inevitably an adjustment periode making the jump to NCAA hockey, the fact that he not only made that jump, but actually excelled as the year went on show what kinda talent this kid has.

You realize that Pavelski was 20 as a freshman and Skille was 18 right? I am having a hard time understanding how you are so down on Skille without having seen him play very much and completely disregarding not only the terrific playoffs he has last year, but his impressive showings at the US WJC and Hawks camps.

So let me see if I have this right, by looking at the boxscores of his games, and talking to a few Badger fans you are ready to make the statement that "fist liner is nearly out of the question and there`s also a decent chance he`ll bust". And you are wondering why we are jumping on you?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I watched Skille on TV a few times and in person three times. I think he played like a freshman in the WCHA should play. Feel the game out. Pounce on your chances and play as a member of a unit and not try and do too much. WI is a d minded team. By Skille not sticking out all the time was a good thing for that program. His numbers where not mind blowing. But not bad either. And now like any sophmore he will be asked to carry his team more.

I do not know if he is a first line kind of guy. But he is a good second line guy that will do lots of little things. The kind of second line guy that helps teams win champioships.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Translation: You haven't really watched Skille much.

Thanks for playing.

-fullmetalninja
Like he said, if you need to see a player live in order to give an opinion then there would be absolutly no knowledge being shared on this site. Hell, 99% of the information being passed around on this site is made out to be first hand information when actually, the people never seen the player and just exagerate on the stuff they do read.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
After watching him numerous times last season, I don't see Skille as being a first liner in the NHL. I don't think he has the overall ability to maintain a spot on a top line. He seems like a gritty, 2nd or 3rd line type to me.

This year will help clear up his potential for the next level. He will likely be the focal point of Wisconsin's offense since the Badgers don't return much for skilled forwards from last season. We will see how well he will handle the pressure and how well he will handle being the focus of the opposing team.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Perhaps we should give him some time to be the man before we turn him into a '3rd line grinder'...I think it shows a lot how much he improved as the year went on. We in Chicago will be pleased with our boy Jack, I'm sure.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
Unless you've seen Skille play you don't realize how good of a prospect he is, there is a reason he was the Hockey New's 13th prospect.

Expect a great WJC performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad