Jack Skille v. Ryan Stoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
cagney said:
The problem with comparing this year's stats with stats from previous years is that the strength of schedule has changed a lot over the years. At one point the U18 team played as a full time member of the USHL. Eventually they dropped the number of games against USHL teams to a minimum and started playing college teams. When the USHL became Tier 1 before last season they dropped the USHL games altogether (save the first U18 team game this year) and replaced them with NAHL games. The problem with this is that the NAHL was significantly weakend when the USHL went Tier 1 and a few of their top teams shut down or left the league. Players from Michigan area midget major teams who would have played in the NAHL went to the USHL instead. This has caused some inflation in stats and wins for both the U17 and U18 team.

The NTDP's archives are a bit of a mess and they only date back to the '99-'00 season but if you want to try to make sense of them they are located here.

As far as I can see, no d-man in the program's history has maintained a point-per-game pace the whole year. Bryan Miller's 46 points in 62 games in the '00-'01 season is probably the highest number of points by a d-man in the program's history.

The bottom line is that I really don't think stats from the program can be accurately compared to each other. Last year's stats are probably the best reference point for this year's. Unfortunately the USA Hockey website has taken them down.
Yeah, I realize that. It wouldn't be an accurate comparison, and I don't put a lot of stock in any comparison like that. I was just curious as to what the season high was before.

It's interesting to compare his stats to Suter's though.

Anyway, I appreciate the info. Where did you get those updated stats from? USA Hockey really needs a competent webmaster to simplify their whole layout.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Postman said:
Anyway, I appreciate the info. Where did you get those updated stats from? USA Hockey really needs a competent webmaster to simplify their whole layout.

The only way to get updated stats at this point is by being on the e-mail list. Just e-mail [email protected] and say you want to be added to the list. You'll get all the game recaps and a weekly update of stats for both teams.

You were close on Suter, he actually had 31 points in 51 games with the U18 team. The factors that come into play when comparing the two are Suter playing USHL games where Johnson has faced NAHL competition and the fact that the '85 team didn't have the amazing forward crop that the '87s do which probably helps Johnson with assists. The part of Suter's game I've always liked the most is his smarts in the defensive end. All of the best plays I remember of his seem to come in his own zone (except for that great rush that lead to the Parise gold medal winning goal at the U18 World Championships).

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The USA stats are not all that accurate. I have been to many NTDP games were goals are given to the wrong kids and many goals go unassisted because the refs don't care, ESP NAHL refs!

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
cagney said:
The only way to get updated stats at this point is by being on the e-mail list. Just e-mail [email protected] and say you want to be added to the list. You'll get all the game recaps and a weekly update of stats for both teams.
Thanks a lot. I've kinda been half-going off their incorrect stats and half-going off what I've been figuring from box scores on other sites.
cagney said:
You were close on Suter, he actually had 31 points in 51 games with the U18 team. The factors that come into play when comparing the two are Suter playing USHL games where Johnson has faced NAHL competition and the fact that the '85 team didn't have the amazing forward crop that the '87s do which probably helps Johnson with assists.
Ah, I'm not sure where I came up with 27 points. Anyway, I agree, the real test for Johnson will be at the WJCs and next year in the NCAA.
cagney said:
The part of Suter's game I've always liked the most is his smarts in the defensive end. All of the best plays I remember of his seem to come in his own zone (except for that great rush that lead to the Parise gold medal winning goal at the U18 World Championships).
He definitely has that over Johnson (and maybe all other defense prospects). He's a very smart player, that's for sure.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
That Kessell kid is amazing. 27 points in 11 games ? And he is playing NCAA teams ? Could he break Kariya's record in the NCAA ? Kariya had 100 points in his draft year. Could Kessell reach that level ?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
markov` said:
That Kessell kid is amazing. 27 points in 11 games ? And he is playing NCAA teams ? Could he break Kariya's record in the NCAA ? Kariya had 100 points in his draft year. Could Kessell reach that level ?

That's a tough record to break. Not only was Kariya incredibly skilled, he was also playing on one of the most talented teams in NCAA hockey history. Since then the college game has gotten more defensive as well (as it has everywhere). I really think that Kessel could have a bigger impact than any freshman has had in a while though. I just wish he would pick the college he wants to go to sooner than February. Either way, it will be fun to watch him.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
orangeandblack said:
do you think kessel will consider the ohl at all considering he hasnt chosen a college yet, and most of the team has already made their decisions?

If he was going to go to the OHL he would have gone before this season started. Besides, do you really think he'd prefer to play for Saginaw when he could play for a team like Michigan or Minnesota?

masked man

Nov 29, 2003
cagney said:
Here are the updated (November 30th) stats for the NTDP U18 team...

1. Phil Kessel F (Late '87) 11GP 15G 12A 27P 8PIM
2. Jack Skille F ('87) 22GP 11G 16A 27P 32PIM
3. Ryan Stoa F ('87) 22GP 11G 11A 22P 12PIM
4. Jason Lawrence F ('87) 21GP 13G 8A 21P 21PIM
5. Peter Mueller F ('88) 19GP 11G 10A 21P 23PIM
6. Jim Fraser F ('87) 22GP 7G 10A 17P 36PIM
7. Justin Mercier F ('87) 20GP 8G 8A 16P 33PIM
8. Jack Johnson D ('87) 16GP 3G 13A 16P 53PIM
9. Mark Mitera D (Late '87) 22GP 4G 9A 13P 62PIM
10. Andreas Vlassopoulos F ('87) 18GP 3G 9A 12P 10PIM
11. Kyle Lawson D ('87) 19GP 0G 12A 12P 8PIM
12. Nathan Gerbe F ('87) 16GP 4G 7A 11P 33PIM
13. Zac MacVoy F ('87) 22GP 4G 6A 10P 24PIM
14. Jason Bailey F ('87) 22GP 4G 5A 9P 82PIM
15. Chris Cahill F ('87) 19GP 3G 5A 8P 14PIM *
16. Brandon Gentile D ('87) 22GP 1G 4A 5P 39PIM
17. Chad Morin D ('88) 21GP 1G 3A 4P 14PIM
18. Zach Jones D ('87) 21GP 1G 1A 2P 48PIM
19. Mike Stuart D ('87) 10GP 0G 2A 2P 22PIM *
20. Benn Ferriero F ('87) 2GP 1G 0A 2PIM **
21. David Inman D ('87) 20GP 1G 0A 1P 22PIM
22. Dan Collins F ('87) 4GP 0G 1A 1P 2PIM ***
23. Dan Fardig F ('86) 4GP 0G 0A 0P 0PIM ****

* Cahill and Stuart have left the team
** Ferriero joined the team for the games against Harvard and Brown
*** Collins joined the team for the recent Four Nations Tournament
**** Fardig is the captain of the U17 team and has played as an injury replacement

1. Jeff Frazee G ('87) 12GP 2.39GAA 0.931SV%
2. Billy Blase G ('87) 11GP 3.63GAA 0.878SV%

Kessel is on pace for 120+ points in around 50 games.

The quotes for the goalies don't include the 4 Nation Cup which Frazee posted
a line of 2GP .50 GAA .977SV%

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
masked man said:
The quotes for the goalies don't include the 4 Nation Cup which Frazee posted
a line of 2GP .50 GAA .977SV%

I'm pretty sure those stats are included in the total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad