Jack Skille v. Ryan Stoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
In a comparison between these two 2005 draft eligible forwards that play for the same NTDP team, who is better?

What are the scouting reports on both and who would go higher if there were a draft this year?

As of now, I know Skille stands 6'1'' 200 lbs. Stoa 6'2.5". From numerous places, Skille has garnered more hype and attention and is regularly placed higher on draft lists, but is this correct?

Thanks for any info.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Balej's Dance said:
In a comparison between these two 2005 draft eligible forwards that play for the same NTDP team, who is better?

What are the scouting reports on both and who would go higher if there were a draft this year?

As of now, I know Skille stands 6'1'' 200 lbs. Stoa 6'2.5". From numerous places, Skille has garnered more hype and attention and is regularly placed higher on draft lists, but is this correct?

Thanks for any info.
Stoa is the more talented kid by far. If you watch you'll see. No knock on Skille, just that Stoa is very skilled with great size.

CH Wizard

Can you guys give me the stats of Jack Skille and infomations about his hockey style???

Because I heard good things on him but I don't really know something on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

A Good Flying Bird*

Balej's Dance said:

Thanks for any info.

At 4 Nations, Skille was by far the best forward on any team. He scored. Great wrist shot. Charges the net. Loves to hit. Hits hard.
If he grows a bit, he could a the prototypical powerfoward.
Stoa is another interesting big forward. But he's not as physical and he seems like more of a playmaker than a shooter.
Another USNTDP forward to watch is Justin Mercier. Great moves. Great wheels. Enjoys physical play. Again, off the top of my head, not sure if he's 05 or 06.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
At 4 Nations, Skille was by far the best forward on any team. He scored. Great wrist shot. Charges the net. Loves to hit. Hits hard.
If he grows a bit, he could a the prototypical powerfoward.
Stoa is another interesting big forward. But he's not as physical and he seems like more of a playmaker than a shooter.
Another USNTDP forward to watch is Justin Mercier. Great moves. Great wheels. Enjoys physical play. Again, off the top of my head, not sure if he's 05 or 06.

Mercier is an 05.

Listed as an 'A' player by central scouting.

Almost the whole NTDP roster could be drafted this and next year, they have more talent than ever before.

Pretty much all of their eligible players and both goalies are listed as 'A' or 'B' players, and one of the three that isn't (Nathan Gerbe) is a heck of a player, he just isn't ranked because he is only 5'6''. And you can bet for sure that all 4 of the 88's on the team will be first or second round talents for next year.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
TMHUNH said:
Mercier is an 05.

Listed as an 'A' player by central scouting.

Almost the whole NTDP roster could be drafted this and next year, they have more talent than ever before.

Pretty much all of their eligible players and both goalies are listed as 'A' or 'B' players, and one of the three that isn't (Nathan Gerbe) is a heck of a player, he just isn't ranked because he is only 5'6''. And you can bet for sure that all 4 of the 88's on the team will be first or second round talents for next year.
Besides Gerbe, Fraser, Gentile, Inman will not get drafted. This according to papers in the U.S.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
markov` said:
Is it fair to say that both of Skille and Stoa will go in the 10-20 range ?
That's about where they're both being ranked in most publications. McKeen's has them just outside of their top 20, but they're rising on their list and I wouldn't be surprised to see both in their top 20 for next month's rankings.

CH Wizard

X-SHARKIE said:
Skille has the more mature, safe prospect game, were as Stoa might bring more upside.

But I love what SKille brings and at the moment he might just be the #1 player I want the Sharks to draft.

I've read somewhere that Skille is playing like an PF and He has an impressive wrist shot.He has to work on his work ethic is that true ? I like Stoa , He has decent size and He has an quick accurate wrist shot like Skille.I like both !

X-SHARKIE

thegreatone said:
I've read somewhere that Skille is playing like an PF and He has an impressive wrist shot.He has to work on his work ethic is that true ? I like Stoa , He has decent size and He has an quick accurate wrist shot like Skille.I like both !

I played vs Skille my freshman year, he played for Verona and I was on the Janesville bluebirds...

His shot is dangerous! 2nd best shot i've faced in my life (Phil Kessel has the best) Rene Bourque a close third.

Anyways, Yeah Skille isn''t the fastest, biggest kid, but he is always moving, much like a running back in the NFL, and makes big plays because of it, and he also is much stronger then his size appears.

I saw him this year vs Harvard and he looked excellent!

He has a good work ethic IMO. His defensive game well be looked at but it appears to be improving.

CH Wizard

X-SHARKIE said:
I played vs Skille my freshman year, he played for Verona and I was on the Janesville bluebirds...

His shot is dangerous! 2nd best shot i've faced in my life (Phil Kessel has the best) Rene Bourque a close third.

Anyways, Yeah Skille isn''t the fastest, biggest kid, but he is always moving, much like a running back in the NFL, and makes big plays because of it, and he also is much stronger then his size appears.

I saw him this year vs Harvard and he looked excellent!

He has a good work ethic IMO. His defensive game well be looked at but it appears to be improving.

Thanks for the report.Is Stoa a better skater then Skille ?

I know it's a little bit too early but where you see Stoa and Skille go in the 2005 draft ?

IMO in the top 20 range.

Have you any stats of those two guys btw ? I saw some but they weren't updated.

miteymouse11

Aug 6, 2004
I played with Ryan my entire youth hockey career and he is just crazy talented. He can find a passing lane anywhere on the ice to set up a perfect goal. I think he will at least go first round.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Reveille said:
Looks like a good year for some American kids.
There's top end talent along with plenty of depth.

With Johnson, Ryan, Lashoff, Stoa, and Skille, there's 5 guys that are consensus first rounders. Then you got guys like Davis, LaVallee, Hensick, Frazee, Lee, Chorney, Fritsche, Lawrence, Mannino, Hagemo, and Collins who all have a shot to go 2nd round, some of them could possibly end up first rounders by the end of the year. Plus a whole host of others (like the NTDP kids mentioned earlier), and there's always a Blake Wheeler/Cory Schneider/Brian Boyle/Mike Morris type in the high school ranks who sneak up in the 2nd half of the year. There's one that McKeen's seems to like, Matt Niskanen of Mt. Iron-Buhl in Minnesota, who like Blake Wheeler, is a multi-sport star (hockey, baseball, and football) and will join Minnesota-Duluth next year.

The future definitely looks good.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
miteymouse11 said:
I played with Ryan my entire youth hockey career and he is just crazy talented. He can find a passing lane anywhere on the ice to set up a perfect goal. I think he will at least go first round.

:gobble Huh? How could he go any higher? Is there a secret zero round to be revealed in the next draft?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
do you guys still think ray macias has a shot at the first round? how about frazee and mercier? if they turn it up a notch could they sneak in also?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
thegreatone said:
Have you any stats of those two guys btw ? I saw some but they weren't updated.

Here are the updated (November 30th) stats for the NTDP U18 team...

1. Phil Kessel F (Late '87) 11GP 15G 12A 27P 8PIM
2. Jack Skille F ('87) 22GP 11G 16A 27P 32PIM
3. Ryan Stoa F ('87) 22GP 11G 11A 22P 12PIM
4. Jason Lawrence F ('87) 21GP 13G 8A 21P 21PIM
5. Peter Mueller F ('88) 19GP 11G 10A 21P 23PIM
6. Jim Fraser F ('87) 22GP 7G 10A 17P 36PIM
7. Justin Mercier F ('87) 20GP 8G 8A 16P 33PIM
8. Jack Johnson D ('87) 16GP 3G 13A 16P 53PIM
9. Mark Mitera D (Late '87) 22GP 4G 9A 13P 62PIM
10. Andreas Vlassopoulos F ('87) 18GP 3G 9A 12P 10PIM
11. Kyle Lawson D ('87) 19GP 0G 12A 12P 8PIM
12. Nathan Gerbe F ('87) 16GP 4G 7A 11P 33PIM
13. Zac MacVoy F ('87) 22GP 4G 6A 10P 24PIM
14. Jason Bailey F ('87) 22GP 4G 5A 9P 82PIM
15. Chris Cahill F ('87) 19GP 3G 5A 8P 14PIM *
16. Brandon Gentile D ('87) 22GP 1G 4A 5P 39PIM
17. Chad Morin D ('88) 21GP 1G 3A 4P 14PIM
18. Zach Jones D ('87) 21GP 1G 1A 2P 48PIM
19. Mike Stuart D ('87) 10GP 0G 2A 2P 22PIM *
20. Benn Ferriero F ('87) 2GP 1G 0A 2PIM **
21. David Inman D ('87) 20GP 1G 0A 1P 22PIM
22. Dan Collins F ('87) 4GP 0G 1A 1P 2PIM ***
23. Dan Fardig F ('86) 4GP 0G 0A 0P 0PIM ****

* Cahill and Stuart have left the team
** Ferriero joined the team for the games against Harvard and Brown
*** Collins joined the team for the recent Four Nations Tournament
**** Fardig is the captain of the U17 team and has played as an injury replacement

1. Jeff Frazee G ('87) 12GP 2.39GAA 0.931SV%
2. Billy Blase G ('87) 11GP 3.63GAA 0.878SV%

Kessel is on pace for 120+ points in around 50 games.

CH Wizard

cagney said:
Here are the updated (November 30th) stats for the NTDP U18 team...

1. Phil Kessel F (Late '87) 11GP 15G 12A 27P 8PIM
2. Jack Skille F ('87) 22GP 11G 16A 27P 32PIM
3. Ryan Stoa F ('87) 22GP 11G 11A 22P 12PIM

Kessel is on pace for 120+ points in around 50 games.

:amazed: :amazed: Kessel has awesome stats , I guess We'll learn more things about him in the months to come because I think he's 0'6 eligible.

Skille and Stoa are impressive as well.

Thx alot BUDDY !!! :yo:

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
cagney said:
8. Jack Johnson D ('87) 16GP 3G 13A 16P 53PIM
While Stoa, Skille, Mueller, Lawrence, and specially Kessel are tearing it up, I really wonder how long Johnson is going to keep that PPG pace up.

Do you possibly know what the record is for points in a season by a defenseman in the NTDP? Johnson looks like he's well on his way to owning that record, whatever it is.

Very impressive.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Postman said:
While Stoa, Skille, Mueller, Lawrence, and specially Kessel are tearing it up, I really wonder how long Johnson is going to keep that PPG pace up.

Do you possibly know what the record is for points in a season by a defenseman in the NTDP? Johnson looks like he's well on his way to owning that record, whatever it is.

Very impressive.

The problem with comparing this year's stats with stats from previous years is that the strength of schedule has changed a lot over the years. At one point the U18 team played as a full time member of the USHL. Eventually they dropped the number of games against USHL teams to a minimum and started playing college teams. When the USHL became Tier 1 before last season they dropped the USHL games altogether (save the first U18 team game this year) and replaced them with NAHL games. The problem with this is that the NAHL was significantly weakend when the USHL went Tier 1 and a few of their top teams shut down or left the league. Players from Michigan area midget major teams who would have played in the NAHL went to the USHL instead. This has caused some inflation in stats and wins for both the U17 and U18 team.

The NTDP's archives are a bit of a mess and they only date back to the '99-'00 season but if you want to try to make sense of them they are located here.

As far as I can see, no d-man in the program's history has maintained a point-per-game pace the whole year. Bryan Miller's 46 points in 62 games in the '00-'01 season is probably the highest number of points by a d-man in the program's history.

The bottom line is that I really don't think stats from the program can be accurately compared to each other. Last year's stats are probably the best reference point for this year's. Unfortunately the USA Hockey website has taken them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad