Prospect Info: Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020) -- Ottawa 67s (3 year ELC signed 11/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Just a few days off from being eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft, Jack Quinn is one of the older first-time eligible players in this year’s draft class. He took his game to another level in his second full OHL season, scoring 52 goals and 37 assists for 89 points in 62 games. Along with fellow draft-eligible forward Marco Rossi, Quinn made sure that NHL scouts took plenty of trips to Ottawa to check out the 67s. While they usually played on separate lines, the duo helped the team to be one of the favourites in the Ontario Hockey League before the season was shut down.

Quinn was drafted in the second round, 39th overall by the 67s in the 2017 OHL Priority Draft. He would spend most of his 16-year-old season playing Junior A hockey for the Kanata Lasers, as he appeared in just eight games for the 67s, picking up one assist. Last year, Quinn got regular OHL time. He made the most of it, scoring 12 goals and 20 assists for 32 points in 61 games. He added three goals and seven points in 18 playoff games.

Jack Quinn Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #12 - Last Word on Hockey

Reactions: Ginger Papa

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I feel like we’ve gone after this type of player quite a bit. Tage and Armia. Who knows, maybe he’ll be Corey Perry.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I wouldn't be mad at all if it weren't for Rossi being on the board.

Quinn is the perfect fit for Eichel. Elite shot and scoring instincts. He knows where to go and knows where to finish. He can do some defensive lifting next to Eichel too since he is a great two-way guy. Has good hands, will win battles. Decent playmaker and skater but nothing special there.

Preferred him to Perfetti at least.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I’m cool with it. The kid scores goals and we need them. My only source of nerves is how much of a late bloomer he is and how close he was to being ‘19 eligible. Playing against weak competition on probably the best team in the OHL will certainly inflate stats so the next year of development is going to quickly show us what we have.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I wouldn't be mad at all if it weren't for Rossi being on the board.

Quinn is the perfect fit for Eichel. Elite shot and scoring instincts. He knows where to go and knows where to finish. He can do some defensive lifting next to Eichel too since he is a great two-way guy. Has good hands, will win battles. Decent playmaker and skater but nothing special there.

Preferred him to Perfetti at least.
My best guess to why they didn't take Rossi is it was part of the Staal trade.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Brock's Report:

5. Jack Quinn - Left Wing - Ottawa 67's

As stated, Quinn has seriously closed the gap for me between Rossi, Perfetti, and he. It wouldn't shock me at all if he was drafted before one or both. NHL scouts love this kid. IMO, Quinn was actually the better and more consistent OHL player in the second half for Ottawa, if we're comparing him to Rossi. My write up for Quinn is going to focus a lot on those who downplay his abilities for various reasons. The first is his age. Yes, he only missed last year's draft by a few days. I don't care. Human development is non linear. Quinn was playing AA hockey and was well under 6'0 before his minor midget year. Physically, this kid is a late bloomer and is the exact reason why we have the September cutoff. That extra year has allowed him to fill out his growing frame (now over 6'0), and improve his overall athleticism and skating ability. The second is the team he plays for. Quinn doesn't play with Rossi at even strength. He plays with Mitchell Hoelscher (a late round NHL draft pick), and either a converted defenseman (Belanger) or a rookie (Jack Beck). Yet, he led the OHL (with Nick Robertson) in even strength goals. He plays with Rossi on the powerplay, on the penalty kill, and when protecting a lead late. But he does not ride piggy back. Quinn is terrific at creating his own scoring chances. He is such a deceptive player in transition. He has such a high level shot that defenders have to try to be aggressive in taking away his space, so he exploits that by cutting to the middle, using defenders as a screen. He is also exceptionally intelligent without the puck. His anticipation as a goal scorer is outstanding. And his play away from the puck as a defensive player improved by leaps and bounds this year. This kid has to be considered one of the most complete wingers available this year. The third is the quality of the team he plays for. This is an easy one to refute. Maybe the 67's are as good as they are because of Quinn? Ottawa had more injuries than any team this year, and to key players, yet they found themselves on top because of kids like Quinn. Look, I won't pretend that Quinn's game doesn't have limitations. I don't necessarily think that he's a high level playmaker. He is great working the wall to prolong possession. However, in transition, he's usually very driven to score. And while his skating has improved a lot, it's still not elite. Likely equates to being slightly above average in the NHL. However, IMO, it's rare to find such a quality goal scorer, who also happens to have good size and plays a 200 foot game. This is a kid you can have on the ice if you need a goal, or are up a goal. His minutes won't have to be sheltered. For that reason, he's a candidate for the top 7 IMO.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not sure what I think of this pick. Average size, ok skater, older player in draft, scoring on a high scoring team. Still we needed a goal scoring RW....just don't know.

Reactions: brian_griffin

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Reminds me of people going crazy when Scheifele went over Couts in 2011.

I'm going to give him a few years. He seems to have a chip and I love those players. Give me the kid who wants to be out there in all situations and is GOOD enough to be out there in all situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad