Jack Michaels: Brutal commentator

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Could have killed him the other night. Driving home from work, and had no idea the Sharks even scored their first goal from his call on it. Very frustrating. Couldn't wait to get home and see the visuals again. Mind you, with that game, the visuals were probably worth missing anyhow.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
His OT call last night was awesome, he was excited, he was energetic it was real

There's no doubt that Jack was excited. He was energetic, but not enough to stop from being drowned out by the crowd during the "SCOOORES!" part. Real? Not to these ears. That "OOOOOOVERTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!" yell sounds like a needless attempt to manufacture excitement. I don't think Jack is a terrible broadcaster- just a little misguided in some of his choices.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There's no doubt that Jack was excited. He was energetic, but not enough to stop from being drowned out by the crowd during the "SCOOORES!" part. Real? Not to these ears. That "OOOOOOVERTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!" yell sounds like a needless attempt to manufacture excitement. I don't think Jack is a terrible broadcaster- just a little misguided in some of his choices.

I am trying to like Jack but he just isnt my cup of tea at all.

I wish him much success in getting the LA job. :D

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
I wish someone would change the title - he's not a brutal commentator. There are MUCH worse out there. I don't like the WWE style OVVVVERRRTIME either but brutal? not even close.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He's a little over the top but he brings so much passion to a game which is more than you can say than so many other announcers out there. I think overall he does a good job. JMO and I stand by it.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
The history of radio calls on the Oilers is major homers, one sided, and they put the fan blinders on. Lots of fans love this style, as why not, , but it's become trendy to hammer this approach.

A guy doesn't realize how good michaels is until they could turn off Quinn and Remenda for a night, go to the garage and listen to michaels call the game, say while a poker game or working on a car. He calls it to make it fun, he's a fanboy like Stauffer, blindly optimistic, loves the big goal calls, what else would you want? Don't be blinded just because there's decent calls on oilers playoff games, Michaels being sit everywhere. Isn't.

Sick of the *****ing, he's as good as we will get, I really don't have a problem with it. Heck, even TSN aired his call on mcds open netter. Feel free to enjoy it, oiler fans are like beat wives, won't allow themselves to enjoy a moment or two. It's real take it in.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Read a while back on the LA forum that Michaels may have the inside track on the LA TV PBP job. That would be a good gig for him. I have to say I loved his OT GWG call and the call that closed the series last night. Passionate. Over the top. Emotional even if forced. Just fun.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Read a while back on the LA forum that Michaels may have the inside track on the LA TV PBP job. That would be a good gig for him. I have to say I loved his OT GWG call and the call that closed the series last night. Passionate. Over the top. Emotional even if forced. Just fun.

I agree. He's an L.A. kind of guy, and would probably fit right in there, and be a lifer. Just not the right fit for this market, IMO.

On a side note, not sure how others feel, but I kind of like Dave Randorf on T.V. I like his style, not over the top, with just the right amount of emotion at the right times, and his mistakes are very limited. I have no problem if he was our guy in the regular season and beyond.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I agree. He's an L.A. kind of guy, and would probably fit right in there, and be a lifer. Just not the right fit for this market, IMO.

On a side note, not sure how others feel, but I kind of like Dave Randorf on T.V. I like his style, not over the top, with just the right amount of emotion at the right times, and his mistakes are very limited. I have no problem if he was our guy in the regular season and beyond.

Yup, I agree on Randorf. I have always liked his PBP. Him and Louie full time would be so much better than Quinn and Remenda who must be on medical leave now that his Sharks got bounced.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Completely agree on all points.
I am hoping we see Randorf and Louie for the rest of the Oiler playoff run.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Randorf isn't bad. Hopefully I don't have to see Remenda next season. He's probably crying in bed knowing his precious sharks lost to the Oilers.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Randorf isn't bad. Hopefully I don't have to see Remenda next season. He's probably crying in bed knowing his precious sharks lost to the Oilers.

Remeda has been curled up in the fetal position on the floor of his bedroom for the last 12 hours, sucking on his thumb and clutching his Joe Pavelski blanket as tightly as possible. He won't be taking phone calls for another day or so while he recovers.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Quinn is better that Randorf. Debrusk is much better than Remenda.

Michaels is fine. Hes American, and it shows, but its OK. We have high standards though.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

I like Randorf.

I like Michaels too.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
would like Randorf and big lou in the reg season as well .doing a great job so far.thought the oooooovvvvvveeeeerrrrr tttttiiiiimmmmeeee was a little over the top but maybe he was really that excited or looking for a sound bite to hit us media

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
would like Randorf and big lou in the reg season as well .doing a great job so far.thought the oooooovvvvvveeeeerrrrr tttttiiiiimmmmeeee was a little over the top but maybe he was really that excited or looking for a sound bite to hit us media

That overtime call is part of his schtick. He does it every time the Oilers score an O/T goal.
Its like the OILERS radio network thing that he does. Its these gimmicks that makes him so hard to listen to IMO.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That overtime call is part of his schtick. He does it every time the Oilers score an O/T goal.
Its like the OILERS radio network thing that he does. Its these gimmicks that makes him so hard to listen to IMO.

Yeah. I don't mind his regular play calling and emotion, it's the canned material and schtick that I don't care for, or random mentions of other sports during game play. All in all, though, I don't mind Michaels.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Did everyone not hate Louie back when we had him full time? I seem to recall being one of the few people that wanted to keep him.

Re: Randorf/Quinn, they're both good. Quinn messes up names from time to time, but that's minor in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't object to either of them

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Did everyone not hate Louie back when we had him full time? I seem to recall being one of the few people that wanted to keep him.

Re: Randorf/Quinn, they're both good. Quinn messes up names from time to time, but that's minor in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't object to either of them

I never disliked Louie. But I did feel he had room to improve. He's still light years better than Remenda ever will be. Remenda can go back to his beloved sharks.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I think it has more to do with the fact he replaced Ferraro, who I remember was quite beloved by the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad