Jack Johnson

• Thread starter The Finnish MacInnis*
  • Start date

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
its because the real Jack Johnson was one of the baddest dudes ever, and so they think JMFJ is bad by association.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
There would be smiles if he was Canadian. I guarantee that!

Yes, you nailed it! Obviously we are all envious of Jack Johnson's string of consecutive WJC gold medals. Oh wait, that can't be it. Because of Canada's record of providing the bulk of NHL players, 8 of the top 10 scorers in the regular season last year (including the top 5), all Canadian hockey fans must indeed be jealous of an unproven American prospect. [/sarcasm]

Jack Johnson will be a fine player some day. That said, I do know a few Canadian hockey fans who find it amusing to watch Americans continually hype unproven teen-aged prospects toward Paul Bunyan status. See: JMFJ. I do know that not a single American born player appeared on the top NHL 25 scoring list last season, so it almost looks as if the dearth of American born NHL super-stars has led to US fans desperately trying to will themselves one.

Be patient. Someday soon an American might once again even make the NHL top 25 scorers list.

:naughty:

Last edited:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Yes, you nailed it! Obviously we are all envious of Jack Johnson's string of consecutive WJC gold medals. Oh wait, that can't be it. Because of Canada's record of providing the bulk of NHL players, 8 of the top 10 scorers in the regular season last year (including the top 5), all Canadian hockey fans must indeed be jealous of an unproven American prospect. [/sarcasm]

Jack Johnson will be a fine player some day. That said, I do know a few Canadian hockey fans who find it amusing to watch Americans continually hype unproven teen-aged prospects toward Paul Bunyan status. See: JMFJ. I do know that not a single American born player appeared on the top NHL 25 scoring list last season, so it almost looks as if the dearth of American born NHL super-stars has led to US fans desperately trying to will themselves one.

Be patient. Someday soon an American might once again even make the NHL top 25 scorers list.

Allright way to bring something substantial to the thread:shakehead Hard to say hes been hyped towards Paul Bunyon status when hes a #3 overall pick. And its hard to deny if he was a Canadian he wouldnt be more hyped up.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I do know that not a single American born player appeared on the top NHL 25 scoring list last season, so it almost looks as if the dearth of American born NHL super-stars has led to US fans desperately trying to will themselves one.

Anything in the above statement that you would care to dispute?

Where he was picked overall is meaningless; it is what he does at the next level that counts. I hope that he someday plays up to the lofty expectations that many have heaped upon him at such a young age. He'll need to cut down on all of the errors he makes in his own zone though.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Aren't you the Canes fan that kept coming on the kings board saying Jack was horrible and would never amount to an NHL player?

No sir. I'm the one saying that Jack has the potential to be a game breaking dominant defenseman, but has a few issues to iron out before that is a possibility. I think people expecting Phaneuf type production right away are going to be disappointed. That isn't so much of an indictment of Johnson as it is a general statement regarding how difficult it is for a defenseman of the offensive variety to make the translation right away. If we take a look at the top point producing defensemen a lot of them didn't come into their own until around 23-25 and to expect that production straight away may be a bit of a stretch. I think Johnson has IMMENSE potential and would love to have him on my team, but he was traded away. I just caution people that think he's going to be an immediate all-star.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Im canadian and I like Jack Johnson. I think he will have a really good rivalry with Getzlaff and Perry

He will at least make games between the Ducks and Kings interesting again

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Anything in the above statement that you would care to dispute?

Where he was picked overall is meaningless; it is what he does at the next level that counts. I hope that he someday plays up to the lofty expectations that many have heaped upon him at such a young age. He'll need to cut down on all of the errors he makes in his own zone though.

And what would that above statement have to do with JJ and the fact this thread is about how he got his nickname?

Alison

Sep 7, 2005
sudbury
And what would that above statement have to do with JJ and the fact this thread is about how he got his nickname?

He was replying to the shot at Canadians. And how we would hype Johnson, sure we would but I don;t think to this extent,nah I lie.... I hype Staal all the time :)

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

Not saying Canada should be envious of any other countries hockey players or programs, Just saying to look at the country of orgin when you see negative comments about Jack Johnson.

I agree, I really wish Americans would stop being the only country overhyping unproven hockey players. :sarcasm:

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Not saying Canada should be envious of any other countries hockey players or programs, Just saying to look at the country of orgin when you see negative comments about Jack Johnson.

I agree, I really wish Americans would stop being the only country overhyping unproven hockey players. :sarcasm:

Whatever ...you brought the Country thing into it.......probably just best left out altogether

On another note..,.I already said Staal earlier on here and said that I've seen little of Johnson but I do see on here a lot about his current and potential offensive abilities.
In the little I've seen is his offense more like that of a young Jovanoski or does he have the prowess of guys like Leetch ,Lidstrom , Scott N in terms of vision and dictating the flow of play?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->