Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 29, 2004
Seems like every time this kid goes to a tournament he ends up getting quoted talking about somebody else's character flaws.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/...wspt-downie-05/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Jack Johnson said:
"Everybody knows what kind of a kid he is..."

Is it me or didn't he use almost the exact same phrase when talking about Phil Kessel last year?

If he were my prospect I would be concerned because everybody is beginning to know what kind of a kid he is....

It looks to me like Carolina was smart to move him when they did. This kid has future locker room cancer written all over him.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Trust me, from what i've seen of Johnson since the trade I have yet to feel a tinge of remorse about the deal. I think the return they got was the extent of what they could get for him. He has some pretty well publicized on the ice and off the ice issues that need to be dealt with before he's ready for the league. That much is for sure. A lot of growing up to do.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Seems like every time this kid goes to a tournament he ends up getting quoted talking about somebody else's character flaws.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/...wspt-downie-05/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Is it me or didn't he use almost the exact same phrase when talking about Phil Kessel last year?

If he were my prospect I would be concerned because everybody is beginning to know what kind of a kid he is....

It looks to me like Carolina was smart to move him when they did. This kid has future locker room cancer written all over him.

For saying his feelings about Steve Downie who isnt on his team hes a future lockerroom cancer? Hell half the people on here say the same thing. Hes an emotional player and says whats on his mind.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
This is some kind of joke, right? JJ has character flaws for commenting on guys like Downie and Kessel?

Yea, I'd say this is quite a bit of a reach.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

You forgot to mention that he was talking about Downie.
Yeah. A lot of NHL brass is really concerned about JJ saying negative things about a player he just got done competing against in the World Jr Championships. :sarcasm:
Agree Your reaching

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Sour grapes anyone?

For whom exactly? Sure, he's a great prospect but he's the one who missed out on the Stanley Cup. That and all the money he's missing right now playing in college because he's scared he can't live up to his own hype. I would think if anybody had sour grapes about the situation, it certainly wouldn't be Hurricanes fans or Team Canada fans, because both did better without Johnson.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The observation here is that JJ is a player that can't keep his mouth shut about his feelings and ends up getting himself recognized for the things that he says rather than the things he does on the ice. You never want to see that in a player. Even if it's in reference to the opposition, you keep shallow in the fishwrap and let it rip in the lockerroom if need be. That's the sign of a leader. By voicing how he feels to anybody who will listen, he's showing a very single minded mindset. That was the point of the intial poster, I would imagine.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
The observation here is that JJ is a player that can't keep his mouth shut about his feelings and ends up getting himself recognized for the things that he says rather than the things he does on the ice. You never want to see that in a player. Even if it's in reference to the opposition, you keep shallow in the fishwrap and let it rip in the lockerroom if need be. That's the sign of a leader. By voicing how he feels to anybody who will listen, he's showing a very single minded mindset. That was the point of the intial poster, I would imagine.

So if he's asked about it by a reporter he's not supposed to answer? Especially after the guy said he was going to carve his eye out? Real class move by Downie. Its funny how certain players get ripped for answering questions honestly about the opposition while others are congratulated for it.

As far as him mising out on the Cup sure he might be dissappointed but at the time the Canes tried to sign him the first time noone had a clue they would win the Cup. He's living his dream playing for a team hes wanted to play for since he was a kid but he gets ripped for it. As far as him being scared he cant live up to the hype where does that come from? He said from the very beginning he was going to play a minimum of 2 years at Michigan. Yet he gets ripped for staying true to what he says while others get ripped for saying one thing and doing another. Its almost like theres a double standard when it comes to JJ. I just don't understand it.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
So if he's asked about it by a reporter he's not supposed to answer? Especially after the guy said he was going to carve his eye out? Real class move by Downie. Its funny how certain players get ripped for answering questions honestly about the opposition while others are congratulated for it.

As far as him mising out on the Cup sure he might be dissappointed but at the time the Canes tried to sign him the first time noone had a clue they would win the Cup. He's living his dream playing for a team hes wanted to play for since he was a kid but he gets ripped for it. As far as him being scared he cant live up to the hype where does that come from? He said from the very beginning he was going to play a minimum of 2 years at Michigan. Yet he gets ripped for staying true to what he says while others get ripped for saying one thing and doing another. Its almost like theres a double standard when it comes to JJ. I just don't understand it.

Great points but please don't confuse anyone here with facts. Remember "the observation here" (Carolina) is that JJ is a loud mouth but I bet if you went to a Cane game and asked 100 people about the Downie/ Jack Johnson situation, all 100 would say Downie Who?:dunno:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I seem to recall Chris Chelios saying one or two really dumb things too. I don't think too many people have called him a lockerroom cancer or anything. :dunno:

backofthenet

Jul 31, 2006
For whom exactly? Sure, he's a great prospect but he's the one who missed out on the Stanley Cup. That and all the money he's missing right now playing in college because he's scared he can't live up to his own hype. I would think if anybody had sour grapes about the situation, it certainly wouldn't be Hurricanes fans or Team Canada fans, because both did better without Johnson.

link?

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

Damn, those are some sour grapes.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Great points but please don't confuse anyone here with facts. Remember "the observation here" (Carolina) is that JJ is a loud mouth but I bet if you went to a Cane game and asked 100 people about the Downie/ Jack Johnson situation, all 100 would say Downie Who?:dunno:

Riiiight. Apparently I wouldn't be at this game. Or any number of the other dedicated posters of this board that know all about the situation. That's just on this site. Do you think fans of hockey in North Carolina have no scope of anything that happens outside of Raleigh? Chances are that if they're a fan of hockey, they pay attention to hockey abroad. There may not be as many dedicated hockey fans in North Carolina, but to say that 100 of 100 would say "Downie who?", is pretty short sighted.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Damn, those are some sour grapes.

Agreed, with all due respect, CaniacForever clearly has something against Johnson and has a hard time discussing things objectively. I'm not saying the guy will or won't be a cancer in the locker room but a few comments like this is nothing to base that on. The guy has a tremendous amount of talent, once he matures a little he's going to be a hell of a hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad