Player Discussion Jack Johnson

GbgRanger

Jul 11, 2009
Sweden / Philippines
They signed him to be the designated whipping boy. He will take all the flak while the young kids get spared. It's obvious this fan base always need a whipping boy.

Good pickup. He is playing his role perfectly. :naughty:

Reactions: Synergy27

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
he won't play tho it's okay lol
Dude he was getting 20 minutes a night in Pittsburgh.

Is the 14 minutes he got tonight too much? Yes. Is 1 minute too much? Yes.

The NHL is still an old boys club. GMs and coaches have their pets and they’re always awful hockey players. I have no idea why but that’s just how it is.

Jack Johnson is one of the worst players I’ve ever seen actually playing in an NHL game. But people will barely remember him playing for us 2, 3, 4 years from now. His play will surely cost the team a couple games but it’s just a blip in the grand scheme of things.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Dude he was getting 20 minutes a night in Pittsburgh.

Is the 14 minutes he got tonight too much? Yes. Is 1 minute too much? Yes.

The NHL is still an old boys club. GMs and coaches have their pets and they’re always awful hockey players. I have no idea why but that’s just how it is.

Jack Johnson is one of the worst players I’ve ever seen actually playing in an NHL game. But people will barely remember him playing for us 2, 3, 4 years from now. His play will surely cost the team a couple games but it’s just a blip in the grand scheme of things.
I care because I want to win games and get to the playoffs. I know NHL coaches can't help themselves with these worthless do nothing players but there is such an obvious better choice that he's blocking. This is worse than Glass. Worse than McLeod. An easy an obviously better choice is right there

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I care because I want to win games and get to the playoffs. I know NHL coaches can't help themselves with these worthless do nothing players but there is such an obvious better choice that he's blocking. This is worse than Glass. Worse than McLeod. An easy an obviously better choice is right there
Brendan Smith? Yeah I’d love that obviously but even then replacing Johnson with Smith the Rangers gain what, half a win over the season? That could cost them a playoff spot if it comes down to the wire, but if one player getting 14:00 per night costs a team a playoff spot I don’t really think that team deserves a playoff spot anyway.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Man, I was hoping he'd play heavily sheltered minutes and just kind of blend in with the furniture. He really f***ing sucks though.
Depends on the furniture.

upload_2021-1-22_23-10-49.jpeg

Reactions: Synergy27

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Johnson is absolutely done as an NHL player.
I don’t think he has been bad at all. I mean all things considering, he’s actually worse than I have given him credit for.

In all seriousness, we know that he was signed on Martin’s recommendation. Comfort with player, knowledge of system, yada, yada, yada. Quinn is going FTI do his new assistant head coach justice. JJ is going to be given a look, but his leash is not infinite.

Reactions: dapowl

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I don’t think he has been bad at all. I mean all things considering, he’s actually worse than I have given him credit for.

In all seriousness, we know that he was signed on Martin’s recommendation. Comfort with player, knowledge of system, yada, yada, yada. Quinn is going FTI do his new assistant head coach justice. JJ is going to be given a look, but his leash is not infinite.
They have given him enough of a look. Play Smith.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
I dont think hes that bad the drama queens here are making it more than it needs to be. But Smith should 1000% be playing over him.
He is horribly putrid to watch. He can't string pass up the middle of his life depended on it. It's always along the boards.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don’t understand how anyone thought he wasn’t going to get significant ice time. We. do. this. year. after year. after year.
i just love the idea that the Rangers (or any team for that matter) would sign a player that’s not a career AHLer they have absolutely no intention of using. it’s insanity. they signed him cause they like him and want to use him.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It's amazing, we sign the WORST defenseman in the league and somehow he's even worse than I imagined. Everyone KNEW he would suck. But for some reason they signed him. People tried to play it down. But he plays every game. He SUCKS. He makes Marc Staal look like Bobby Orr.
He just really really really really really really sucks.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I dont think hes that bad the drama queens here are making it more than it needs to be. But Smith should 1000% be playing over him.
Yeah. It can get hyperbolic here. Has he been as bad as Staal? Seriously, no. The latter couldn't even move the puck out of our zone. But Johnson has been the direct cause of a couple of goals, and he hasn't contributed anything positive.

Backstreets Back

Jul 1, 2019
This signing never made any sense. For years he's been a ridiculously low IQ, toolsy player. Now that he's older and the skills have eroded there's just nothing there.

There's 0% chance this team and their pro scouts could have watched him in Pitt or Columbus and thought he'd be a valuable addition. I'm convinced we signed him because JD likes him personally and feels bad about what happened to him with his family. They can still do this whole make-a-wish project with him in the pressbox. Just get him off the ice.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
It is now my personal mission to come back here in 2-4 years and bump this thread to remind everyone of JJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad