Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
and not sign with the Canes

http://www.detnews.com/2005/wings/0508/30/D04-297556.htm

Hurricanes' loss becomes Michigan's gain -- Johnson

The Hurricanes' frugality will help the University of Michigan this season. They couldn't agree to terms this summer with 2005 first-round pick Jack Johnson, so Johnson, an 18-year-old defenseman, will play for the Wolverines this season.

Johnson, the No. 3 overall pick in June, spent the past two seasons playing for the U.S. national development team in Ann Arbor. This fall, he will suit up for coach Red Berenson as the highest NHL draft pick to play for Michigan.

"A year at Michigan's not going to hurt him," Johnson's father, Jack Sr., told the Raleigh News-Observer. "He's not going to forgo the dream of playing for Michigan to play in the minors."

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
JWI19 said:

Wasn't the Detroit News also the one who initially reported that Jimmy Howard was NOT going to sign with the Red Wings and stay at Maine?

I'm a little skeptical but I hope that it is true and Johnson will be donning the maize and blue this fall. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
jj committed to michigan when he was 14, nothing was keeping him away. i think he held out for the most maxed out clauses he could that were the easiest to get and a promise he wouldnt play in the minors. with all the extra d the canes have picked up that would be a tough promise - im glad he is going to college. very few 18 yrold dmen belong in the nhl - and im glad knowing the canes will now have him until he is at least 26. the canes are cheap, but his is one occasion where i dont mind it. i hope he has a great year in mich.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
Sounds like he wanted a guarantee that he'd be up in Carolina.

Agree 100%.

Looking at the new CBA, where players become UFA's after 7 years of service, I don't see any 18 or 19 YO's playing unless they are going to be impact players. That's especially true for defenseman, who typically require add'l time before they can contribute.

Roger's Pancreas*

It wont hurt Johnson or Carolina in any way. He'll get top line minutes this way and the Canes will save the cap space. Also, Johnson won't reenter the draft like other draftees since he's going to college.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Win for both parties involved. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I'm in a hurry to see Johnson out there, but under the pretense that he's going to be a dominant defenseman when I do see him out there. This is one step towards making that happen.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:
Wasn't the Detroit News also the one who initially reported that Jimmy Howard was NOT going to sign with the Red Wings and stay at Maine?

I'm a little skeptical but I hope that it is true and Johnson will be donning the maize and blue this fall. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

They reported that it was highly unlikely, but that Howard was weighing his options. Nobody actually thought he'd sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->