Jack Johnson, the NHL's Best Shutdown Defenseman . . . of Evgeni Malkin?

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Who shut down Sid and Jake? I'm sorry but your number one line MUST be a threat or you will have zero chance of winning.
Excuses will abound.

“Sid is still dinged up and not feeling it”

“First game of season and everyone’s not clicking or in game shape yet”

“Sid hates playing with Horny”

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
JR is at fault for the past 18-24 months of roster building. Sully is at fault for dressing/playing these guys.

I think JR should've been gone a while ago, but I'm rapidly warming to the idea that Sully just doesn't have a pulse on what made this team successful in the past. Not saying we have good options for our bottom pairing, but certainly it's blatantly obvious that guys like JJ and Gudbranson don't help this team win.

Honest to god...how many times can you possibly make the exact same post?

Reactions: Pens17

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Yeah, I remember one play yesterday where the puck was in the buffalo zone and it got dumped out. While the other 9 players were still in the zone, JJ was at the red line. How can you expect to maintain zone time if your defense cant even help sustain pressure.
In fairness, he's such a bad skater, he HAS to leave that early.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
All summer, people debated the 'Jack Johnson effect' on Geno. Some people here excused Johnson because Geno didn't have much of a leg to stand on in his own right. Some people rightfully added Phil to the mix.

But, look at Geno's Corsi numbers from last night with the defense:

7ZCgNr4.jpg

/rant

What's the data source for this? thx

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe the reason for having 9 Dmen on the roster and having JJ play top 4 is they're showcasing him for a potential trade?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe the reason for having 9 Dmen on the roster and having JJ play top 4 is they're showcasing him for a potential trade?
I'd hope that's the case, but how absurdly flawed is your evaluation of a guy where you think showcasing his ineffectiveness and bumbling around the ice is "showcasing" him. :laugh: This isn't exactly a Sprong scenario where you hope getting him games results in people getting more info on him. Jack Johnson has been extremely bad for over a decade. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've already determined the Pens are not must watch TV for me until something changes. That game was not fun to watch at all and I am not going to suffer through that 81 more times this year.

I don't want to focus on negativity in life, but I understand this type of post. That was not enjoyable and it's strange. That was very strange.

Then I tune into 3 DIFFERENT games: Mtl/Canes, Dallas/Boston, and Colorado/Calgary. These 3 f***ing games were exciting as hell. These 3 games were electric. Fans were amazing. It blew my mind. I couldn't take my eyes off it. As for the Pens.. I just felt bad watching. And I don't think the era is over. I just felt awful watching it. It was so inevitable.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I don't want to focus on negativity in life, but I understand this type of post. That was not enjoyable and it's strange. That was very strange.

Then I tune into 3 DIFFERENT games: Mtl/Canes, Dallas/Boston, and Colorado/Calgary. These 3 ****ing games were exciting as hell. These 3 games were electric. Fans were amazing. It blew my mind. I couldn't take my eyes off it. As for the Pens.. I just felt bad watching. And I don't think the era is over. I just felt awful watching it. It was so inevitable.
I posted in another thread.. Tanev was the only Pen playing at the pace of the Avs top 9. Not even close, either.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018

Then I tune into 3 DIFFERENT games: Mtl/Canes, Dallas/Boston, and Colorado/Calgary. These 3 ****ing games were exciting as hell. These 3 games were electric. Fans were amazing. It blew my mind. I couldn't take my eyes off it. As for the Pens.. I just felt bad watching. And I don't think the era is ove r. I just felt awful watching it. It was so inevitable.
It's just more of the same and we know it isn't good enough. Maybe changing things will result in us being worse but since we know as we are we aren't good enough I'd be fine with taking that gamble. But these uninspired efforts are just dreadful to watch and not enjoyable in any way.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Then I tune into 3 DIFFERENT games: Mtl/Canes, Dallas/Boston, and Colorado/Calgary. These 3 ****ing games were exciting as hell. These 3 games were electric. Fans were amazing. It blew my mind. I couldn't take my eyes off it. As for the Pens.. I just felt bad watching. And I don't think the era is over. I just felt awful watching it. It was so inevitable.
This is scary....I felt the same

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yohe wrote in the article in which he speculated the issue with Geno's injury is a knee that it's believed the injury occurred when he clipped skates with Kris Letang.

@ColePens . . . lock this one up . . . Kris Letang, not Jack Johnson, is the NHL's best shutdown defenseman . . . of Evgeni Malkin.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TooManyHumans

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Hopefully they play like they did last game and don't go back to looking like they know it is an 82 game season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad