jack johnson--news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I haven't seen any Michigan games lately, but his production seems to have tailed off a bit. Still, 32 pts in 37 games is an awesome season for a freshman.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
As a Canes fan, I am obviously excited about the point production from a freshman Defenseman, but the thing that I am looking forward to most is the aggressive play. 147 PIMS in 37 games is encouraging from a team who doesnt have a guy over 100 PIMs so far this season.....65 games in.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He will be in NoDak this coming up week. Nodaks forwards love to rush and drive the net hard. Hopefully JJ can crush a few of them, preferably all of them.

digitalmonkey*

mytor4 said:
anything new on jack johnson. how has he been doing lately.

He just released the Curious George soundtrack. It's good.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
He will be in NoDak this coming up week. Nodaks forwards love to rush and drive the net hard. Hopefully JJ can crush a few of them, preferably all of them.

:biglaugh: Let me guess, you're hoping that JJ will kick Matt Smaby's teeth in, right?

JJ scored the GWG for Michigan in the deciding game versus Ferris State in the CCHA quarterfinals but has been relatively quiet (scoreboard wise) since.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
DeuceUNO said:
I keep hearing jibber-jabber about the canes signing him when Michigan's season is over...

Yes, that has been thrown around some.....first by Bob McKensie and then there was a little article in the local paper here in Raleigh about it. McKensie seems to think it is a done deal for some reason, but I am a little more skeptical. Probably a better chance now that the canes are up near the top than there was at the beginning of the year when we were supposed to suck.

Funkymoses

Moosetache said:
Yes, that has been thrown around some.....first by Bob McKensie and then there was a little article in the local paper here in Raleigh about it. McKensie seems to think it is a done deal for some reason, but I am a little more skeptical. Probably a better chance now that the canes are up near the top than there was at the beginning of the year when we were supposed to suck.

Happen to have links for those articles? Everything coming from Johnson and his dad has indicated he'll return to Michigan; during one Michigan broadcast his dad said something along the lines of "he'll be back for next year at the very least."

As a Michigan fan I know better than to say he'll definitely be back, but Johnson's been unusually vocal about staying. Usually there's something muttered here or there and then boom bye-bye, but Johnson's been asked time and again this year and has never shied away from a forthright "I will return." Which, of course, would make it the absolute topper as far as early defections go, thus making it a stone cold guarantee... eh.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Funkymoses said:
Happen to have links for those articles? Everything coming from Johnson and his dad has indicated he'll return to Michigan; during one Michigan broadcast his dad said something along the lines of "he'll be back for next year at the very least."

As a Michigan fan I know better than to say he'll definitely be back, but Johnson's been unusually vocal about staying. Usually there's something muttered here or there and then boom bye-bye, but Johnson's been asked time and again this year and has never shied away from a forthright "I will return." Which, of course, would make it the absolute topper as far as early defections go, thus making it a stone cold guarantee... eh.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=152158

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Funkymoses said:

funky: I've been hearing pretty much the same thing. What is your personal gut feeling about JJ coming back? I know that Carolina REALLY wanted him to forego his Michigan career altogether last summer (which I'm sure you're well aware of too), but when the Wolverines' season ends, whether it's this weekend or the FF weekend, you know that Carolina is REALLY, REALLY going to go hard after him, especially after the season that he's had. Question is, is JJ so set on coming back to Ann Arbor that he's willing to pass up what could be a very lucrative NHL contract? Stranger things have happened in college hockey, so if JJ decides to stay for at least another year, it won't come as a total shock to me, but it may to the 'Canes and their fans.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Oilers Chick said:
funky: I've been hearing pretty much the same thing. What is your personal gut feeling about JJ coming back? I know that Carolina REALLY wanted him to forego his Michigan career altogether last summer (which I'm sure you're well aware of too), but when the Wolverines' season ends, whether it's this weekend or the FF weekend, you know that Carolina is REALLY, REALLY going to go hard after him, especially after the season that he's had. Question is, is JJ so set on coming back to Ann Arbor that he's willing to pass up what could be a very lucrative NHL contract? Stranger things have happened in college hockey, so if JJ decides to stay for at least another year, it won't come as a total shock to me, but it may to the 'Canes and their fans.

I personally think that he's shown enough that he can move on. I don't really think he has much more to learn from the college game at all.

At least from what I've seen, anyway.

Lucifer_Devils

Mar 8, 2006
Would Jack Johnson turn down a chance to play on a serious Stanley Cup contender team in Carolina ? That would be a very strange decision :sarcasm:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lucifer_Devils said:
Would Jack Johnson turn down a chance to play on a serious Stanley Cup contender team in Carolina ? That would be a very strange decision :sarcasm:

Why not? It's college. It's his life right now. If he feels that he enjoys college so much, why would he go and leave it? Matt Leinhart went back to college for his senior year instead of entring the NFL draft and turned down a TON of money just to have another year of fun and enjoy his friends and teammates.

Maybe Johnson feels the same way.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lucifer_Devils said:
A Stanley Cup ring around his finger before his body Sidney Crosby...Priceless :yo:

I'm sure thats a thing he wants (the Cup), but he's still a kid and sometimes kids put their friends before anything else. Who really knows what's going on with him or through his head right now?

Personally, I'd like him to turn pro. BUT that's just me.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
Why not? It's college. It's his life right now. If he feels that he enjoys college so much, why would he go and leave it? Matt Leinhart went back to college for his senior year instead of entring the NFL draft and turned down a TON of money just to have another year of fun and enjoy his friends and teammates.

Maybe Johnson feels the same way.

At any rate, there's no need to rush him.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Lucifer_Devils said:
A Stanley Cup ring around his finger before his body Sidney Crosby...Priceless :yo:

I would love to see him turn pro this season, but I cant help but admire his decision should he choose to stay. I for one, don't buy the "he's just a kid argument", these so called kids, have advisors and PR people training them and preping them for each and every choice they make. I think he could easily step into the NHL, and with the way the Canes have been playing this season, it would be hard to turn down. That being said, another year would not hurt his play at all. This guy is the real deal, and now that Carolina is a legitimate contender, the thought of possibly rushing JJ in, can be put on the shelf. Either way its a nice problem to have if you are Johnson or the Canes.

RamblersHockey

Jun 8, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
http://yostbuilt.blogspot.com

Check Out the above link from someone who sees most of the Michigan games in person. Usually something in each of the blogs.

My take on JJ? He is not ready to play defense in the NHL. He is devoting too much time to his offensive game, which is incrediable, but will often be out of posistion if Michigan doesn't score. The last month or so, he has been more defensively aware, and his offense goes down. He has also toned down the dumb, unecessary penalties. This has coincided with his increase in D awareness, so maybe Red Berenson has gotten through to him as to what posistion he plays.

To sum up, at the begining of the season, he looked great. Somewhere around the time Michigan started looking bad, so did Johnson. Dumb, after the whistle penalties, out of posistion, looking to do everything by himself. The last month, he has looked better, playing more within the system, but still getting offensive looks, all the while, taking less penalties and still playing physical. Hmmm, maybe I do think he is ready......... Bottom line, he is still young and needs more experiance.

As for him leaving early, after he scored the go ahead goal against FSU, his dad lead a "Three more years" cheer among the students at Yost. From everything I hear, his parents want him to stay. Whether he feels that way or not, who knows.

Transported Upstater

RamblersHockey said:
http://yostbuilt.blogspot.com

Check Out the above link from someone who sees most of the Michigan games in person. Usually something in each of the blogs.

My take on JJ? He is not ready to play defense in the NHL. He is devoting too much time to his offensive game, which is incrediable, but will often be out of posistion if Michigan doesn't score. The last month or so, he has been more defensively aware, and his offense goes down. He has also toned down the dumb, unecessary penalties. This has coincided with his increase in D awareness, so maybe Red Berenson has gotten through to him as to what posistion he plays.

To sum up, at the begining of the season, he looked great. Somewhere around the time Michigan started looking bad, so did Johnson. Dumb, after the whistle penalties, out of posistion, looking to do everything by himself. The last month, he has looked better, playing more within the system, but still getting offensive looks, all the while, taking less penalties and still playing physical. Hmmm, maybe I do think he is ready......... Bottom line, he is still young and needs more experiance.

As for him leaving early, after he scored the go ahead goal against FSU, his dad lead a "Three more years" cheer among the students at Yost. From everything I hear, his parents want him to stay. Whether he feels that way or not, who knows.

IMO, Johnson will not play as risky a game in the NHL. Some things you can get away with in the NCAA you cannot with professionals.

Johnson, IMO has exceeded my expectations. Personally, I'd have him play in the AHL for a year (a la Ryan Suter) if he left, but I'm not sure how much he has left to prove.

One more year at Michigan wouldn't hurt him, but at the same time, a full year in the AHL (which he is clearly ready for) may be more beneficial.

There are merits of leaving now, and there are merits of staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad