Jack Johnson leaves Michigan and is a KING!!!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That's why I said 1-2 years.

Gleason and Ward are also RFA in, and let me say it again, the next 1-2 years.

i still dont get it, why would lthey lose either one? they have plenty of cap room to keep the young core together. they will have a chance every year for at least 4 or 5 years. gleason will likely be around for most of it.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
why? i highly doubt jj will better than gleason now or even next year. i watched him live yesterday, he is a raw impressive talent. he wont be a great nhl defenseman anytime soon, imo. he is so all over the place he will likely hurt you as much as he helps for a while. as awesome and fun as it was to watch him play yesterday, he probably hurt his team more than helped. his first penalty lead to the pp goal that really turned the game around. his is kind of a sideshow game right now, it isnt a type of game that will translate to the pros till he learns to control it. im sure he'll make some great rushes and hits, but that doesnt mean he is a good defenseman or that he wouldve improved the canes this year or next. i would think after that he will probably have exceeded gleason.

Scoring ungodly amounts of goals as a defenseman does not translate into an NHL game?

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Scoring ungodly amounts of goals as a defenseman does not translate into an NHL game?

a lot of canes fans have been repeating their rationalizations over and over again since the summer. i'm not sure common sense will work as an argument against that.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
For the record, I'm not saying he sucks. LA will very likely win the trade in a few years. But to call it a lock is stupid. Prospects bust and fail to live up to expectations all the time. And Johnson would have done nothing on the team this year and one could even argue that the Canes have no idea how to develop a defenseman.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have watched 5 games from Johnson this season and I have only seen him make one very bad mistake. He doesn't make ungodly turnovers and he doesn't take ungodly pinches. You should really stop pulling **** out of your ass and accept the fact that your teams GM ****ed up. Blame your GM not Jack Johnson. Just accept it and move on. I can't wait until he proves you wrong.

You should read through your quotes during the game watching Jack's last Michigan game.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Making ungodly turnovers and taking ungodly pinches and penalties is what I think he was speaking about. Andy Delmore scored ungodly amounts of goals too.

I have watched 5 games from Johnson this season and I have only seen him make one very bad mistake. He was easily the best player on the ice in all of the games I saw him in and he played great offensively and defensively. He does take dumb penalties once in awhile and he does make mistakes in his own zone but what 20 year old defensman doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't make ungodly turnovers and he doesn't take ungodly pinches. You should really stop pulling **** out of your ass and accept the fact that your teams GM ****ed up. Blame your GM not Jack Johnson. Just accept it and move on. I can't wait until he proves you wrong.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
What HAS Johnson done for LA so far? Nothing. What has Gleason done for Carolina so far? Quite a bit.

So yes, as of this second, Carolina won the deal. Johnson has all the time in the world to prove me wrong.

You're only looking at this short term though, which is somewhat illogical.

Going back to the Gretzky analogy, say you're the Oilers. You sign Gretzky, but he hasn't stepped on the ice in the NHL yet. If you're shopping him around, is he still an unproven prospect? Yes, technically, but does he not have value? You're making it seem like Johnson holds no value until he plays for the Kings, which is ridiculous. Prospects are valued for their potential, not necessarily their current play.

Like I said before, EVEN if Johnson busts, the Kings still won the trade when it happened.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Is he actually going to play? Who's to say he doesn't just join the team and practice and gets scratched?

Although he would be in game shape I guess. But just because he's joining the NHL team doesn't mean he's going to play.

That said, I'd really really like to se ehim on the nationally televised game

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I have watched 5 games from Johnson this season and I have only seen him make one very bad mistake. He doesn't make ungodly turnovers and he doesn't take ungodly pinches. You should really stop pulling **** out of your ass and accept the fact that your teams GM ****ed up. Blame your GM not Jack Johnson. Just accept it and move on. I can't wait until he proves you wrong.

i watched him live last night. he did make a lot of pinches and he did have a couple of turnovers. he also had a couple of really dumb penalties. nothing is being pulled out of body parts. i still love him, im rooting for him, i went to the game here last night just to see him. that being said, it just isnt as bad a trade as everyone makes it out to be. i do think the kings will win in the end, but jj has to become that guy before you say it.

as for the gm *** up - the owner told him trade him...he offered him around for at least a month and no one offered better. the players he went for other than gleason were good ones, but no one bit. even though jj signed, there is no proof he would sign with the canes. there were rumours he would never play for karmanos - and people familiar with detroits junior hockey scene i think would say that sort of thing is possible the way compuware and little ceasars go at each other.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
LeftKinger said:

I think that the Canes could've gotten a much better deal too, but having watched JJ plenty at the WJCs (though I haven't seen him at the university level), there's no denying that he is prone to making bad turnovers and costly pinches.

Huge upside thanks to his raw talent, but there is PLENTY that needs to be refined.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's going to be like Rob Blake, a guy that's prone to making a mistake once a game, but he more than makes up for it with the way that he plays outside of his mistakes. Blake is perfect for mentoring JJ so that JJ limits his mistakes as best as he can, seeing as the guys play so similar. I think JJ hits better than Blake though.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You're only looking at this short term though, which is somewhat illogical.

Going back to the Gretzky analogy, say you're the Oilers. You sign Gretzky, but he hasn't stepped on the ice in the NHL yet. If you're shopping him around, is he still an unproven prospect? Yes, technically, but does he not have value? You're making it seem like Johnson holds no value until he plays for the Kings, which is ridiculous. Prospects are valued for their potential, not necessarily their current play.

Like I said before, EVEN if Johnson busts, the Kings still won the trade when it happened.

I'm not trying to say he holds no value, but how can someone win the trade when the only thing they picked up (Yes, only thing. Tverdovsky has negative value if anything) has not played 1 game for the Kings. He holds value, but he hasn't benefited the Kings on ice team one bit yet.

This is going to go around in circles.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Is he actually going to play? Who's to say he doesn't just join the team and practice and gets scratched?

Although he would be in game shape I guess. But just because he's joining the NHL team doesn't mean he's going to play.

I would say that he's going to play, considering the Kings just signed Piskula out of Wisconsin and he's already played 2 games. Not to mention Modry's getting 30+ minutes a night.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm not saying he is perfect but you make it sound like he is the next Oleg Tverdovsky.

I don't think he's the next Tverdovsky by any stretch, but at one point they were calling Tverdovsky "The Russian Bobby Orr", or something of that nature. At the time, they thought Tverdovsky was going to be the next great defenseman to hit the NHL and take it by storm.

I'm not saying to not be excited for his potential, because his potential is great. What i'm saying and have been saying for a while is that you have Gleason who is already a rock for this team in Carolina and you have a player where you don't know what you're getting. You're getting an X factor that has the potential to be much better than Gleason at his peak potential. My contention is that people are taking it like it's a slam dunk that Jack Johnson is already a better hockey player than Tim Gleason and that isn't the case. We'll find out where he's at in this remaining games of the season. He should be pretty well rested and conditioned and playing with a great defenseman like Blake will help him pick up the game even quicker, but he still has a long way to go. Defenseman hardly ever make a clean jump from junior/ncaa without a bit of growing pains.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Lol @ the article comment saying that Rob Blake can mentor the kid. Jeeeeeez, you better hope not.

27 posts into your HF Boards "career" and this is what you come up with? A stupidly uneducated Rob Blake crackback?

Not trying to turn this into a Rob Blake thread, but if JJ learns Blake's work habits, he'll be well on his way toward being a sensational pro. I think Blake's well past his prime, but he still works as hard as anyone on the team and is still a great leader and will probably captain the team (again) next year.

I think the fact that the kid is committed to getting his degree while he makes millions of dollars before he can even LEGALLY PURCHASE BEER speaks volumes to his commitment.

As for the trade, why is even being rehashed? Deals like these can't be evaluated for a few years so why bother?

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
A Jack Johnson hip check is going to be a nice addition to the monthly highlight reels

Towelie*

I don't think he's the next Tverdovsky by any stretch, but at one point they were calling Tverdovsky "The Russian Bobby Orr", or something of that nature. At the time, they thought Tverdovsky was going to be the next great defenseman to hit the NHL and take it by storm.

I'm not saying to not be excited for his potential, because his potential is great. What i'm saying and have been saying for a while is that you have Gleason who is already a rock for this team in Carolina and you have a player where you don't know what you're getting. You're getting an X factor that has the potential to be much better than Gleason at his peak potential. My contention is that people are taking it like it's a slam dunk that Jack Johnson is already a better hockey player than Tim Gleason and that isn't the case. We'll find out where he's at in this remaining games of the season. He should be pretty well rested and conditioned and playing with a great defenseman like Blake will help him pick up the game even quicker, but he still has a long way to go. Defenseman hardly ever make a clean jump from junior/ncaa without a bit of growing pains.

I think it is pretty clear that L.A won the trade, and that Johnson's signing only makes the deal worse. Sure, you can bring up the fact that Johnson reach his ceiling isn't a guarantee, however you could say that about anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad