Jack Johnson leaves Michigan and is a KING!!!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Finally. Does he have any nationally televised games coming up?

April 1st on NBC. Expect the peacock network to switch to a different game after the 2nd for no apparent reason. Cause that's how they do.

I'm anxious to see how JJ does.

Towelie*

Wow, it really sucks to be a Canes fan, what a gross miss-management of an asset.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Rob Blake is Johnson's childhood hero, it may be one of the reasons why he decided to go to L.A as soon as this season

so it isn't, by any means, a sign that he would have played for Carolina.

btw, great news !

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Doesn't really bother me as a 'Canes' fan.

Perhaps if we were out of the playoff race, but Gleason has started to pick up his play at the right time and we are far from done.

Kings' fans seem to love him, but I don't know how much of a difference they expect him to make.
We don't care, we just want to see him get acclimated. Next year will be difference making time.

espo*

Lol @ the article comment saying that Rob Blake can mentor the kid. Jeeeeeez, you better hope not.

That would hardly be a bad thing.Blake is an experienced pro who is a former norris trophy winner,he's got lot's Johnson could stand to learn and if he's smart he'll listen.

DarkShark*

Joe Thornton is going to make him look awfully silly out there.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Young Jack Johnson will be thrown right into the fire, and it will be great to see him play his first NHL game in SJ. Joe Thornton will be quite a stern test.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Wow, it really sucks to be a Canes fan, what a gross miss-management of an asset.

why? i highly doubt jj will better than gleason now or even next year. i watched him live yesterday, he is a raw impressive talent. he wont be a great nhl defenseman anytime soon, imo. he is so all over the place he will likely hurt you as much as he helps for a while. as awesome and fun as it was to watch him play yesterday, he probably hurt his team more than helped. his first penalty lead to the pp goal that really turned the game around. his is kind of a sideshow game right now, it isnt a type of game that will translate to the pros till he learns to control it. im sure he'll make some great rushes and hits, but that doesnt mean he is a good defenseman or that he wouldve improved the canes this year or next. i would think after that he will probably have exceeded gleason.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
He has the potential to be much more of an asset to his team than Gleeson could ever hope to be.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
why? i highly doubt jj will better than gleason now or even next year. i watched him live yesterday, he is a raw impressive talent. he wont be a great nhl defenseman anytime soon, imo. he is so all over the place he will likely hurt you as much as he helps for a while. as awesome and fun as it was to watch him play yesterday, he probably hurt his team more than helped. his first penalty lead to the pp goal that really turned the game around. his is kind of a sideshow game right now, it isnt a type of game that will translate to the pros till he learns to control it. im sure he'll make some great rushes and hits, but that doesnt mean he is a good defenseman or that he wouldve improved the canes this year or next. i would think after that he will probably have exceeded gleason.

I see your point. Why ever would you want to have a stud young defenseman on your team? Everyone knows the NHL is shutting down in two years, and therefore any prospects who develop after that point are useless.

Towelie*

I see your point. Why ever would you want to have a stud young defenseman on your team? Everyone knows the NHL is shutting down in two years, and therefore any prospects who develop after that point are useless.

Not only that, but the Canes may miss the playoffs this year, and thus lose short term possibly and long term.

It was just terrible asset management.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Ok, I wasn't going to chime in but EVERYONE is all over Carolina for this. Gleason is on the top pairing with Wallin and has played pretty well lately. That defense is a big reason why the Canes didn't falter much with Grahame starting.

What if Johnson busts? No, that's not possible. Prospects NEVER bust right? What if The Canes win the cup again? What if they win a few series?

If Gleason isn't on the team then they're down there with Florida and Boston or worse.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
What if Johnson busts? No, that's not possible. Prospects NEVER bust right? What if The Canes win the cup again? What if they win a few series?

Doesn't matter. As far as value goes, at the time of the trade, are you honestly saying they won the deal?

If Gleason retires tomorrow will you still be the defending the deal?

Everyone who backs Rutherford always says, "What if Johnson does this," or, "What if Johnson doesn't do that," but you can ask the same thing questions of the players that went to Carolina as well.

If the Oilers had traded Gretzky to the Kings for a bucket of pucks and Gretzky's career had ended a year later, would it have made it a good trade?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Doesn't matter. As far as value goes, at the time of the trade, are you honestly saying they won the deal?

If Gleason retires tomorrow will you still be the defending the deal?

Everyone who backs Rutherford always says, "What if Johnson does this," or, "What if Johnson doesn't do that," but you can ask the same thing questions of the players that went to Carolina as well.

What HAS Johnson done for LA so far? Nothing. What has Gleason done for Carolina so far? Quite a bit.

So yes, as of this second, Carolina won the deal. Johnson has all the time in the world to prove me wrong.

gwilled

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
What HAS Johnson done for LA so far? Nothing. What has Gleason done for Carolina so far? Quite a bit.

So yes, as of this second, Carolina won the deal. Johnson has all the time in the world to prove me wrong.

I agree.

Value-wise, I still believe that the Kings will *easily* come out on top once all is said and done since I really like Johnson. However, the timing of things has to be considered as well. Carolina saw a window of opportunity and decided to maximize their chances during that time frame. JJ is definitely not someone you can plug into a top role and expect to be instant contenders--at this point.

It makes for a good deal for both sides, one gets the potential hot hand in the future while the other gets good help today. Who knows, maybe other teams offered prospects or picks that would be as far removed from the big time as JJ? That sure wouldn't have helped the Canes.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Ok, I wasn't going to chime in but EVERYONE is all over Carolina for this. Gleason is on the top pairing with Wallin and has played pretty well lately. That defense is a big reason why the Canes didn't falter much with Grahame starting.

The Canes made this trade for help now. That's great that that help has done 'pretty well', but face it- any hope your team has of winning this trade lies on them performing in the short term with their acquired assets. There's a very real possibility they miss the playoffs altogether this season, and with Cole, Stillman, Walker, Whitney, Hedican and others heading for free agency in the next 1-2 years, your team is facing a rebuild anyway.

It doesn't really matter. The Canes had a golden opportunity to secure help now, and made the decision that the best package they could get would be Belanger and Gleason. If they fail short-term, it's a loss.

If Gleason isn't on the team then they're down there with Florida and Boston or worse.

All you need to do is look at the Oilers for what being a consistently middling team does for one's future. What would eb so bad about a high pick?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The Canes made this trade for help now. That's great that that help has done 'pretty well', but face it- any hope your team has of winning this trade lies on them performing in the short term with their acquired assets. There's a very real possibility they miss the playoffs altogether this season, and with Cole, Stillman, Walker, Whitney, Hedican and others heading for free agency in the next 1-2 years, your team is facing a rebuild anyway.

Um...what? Cole is locked up for awhile. Stillman for another year. Hedican has been hurt all year and is gonna be retiring. They have the cap room to sign Walker and Whitney.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
That's why I said 1-2 years.

Gleason and Ward are also RFA in, and let me say it again, the next 1-2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->