OT: Jack Johnson is Broke / Bankruptcy Filed

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Sad. His parents came across as jackasses to me when he was with the Kings in interviews and the like. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I find it incredible that anyone would think that the interest rates that the parents agreed to made any financial sense. But then again, it looked like they were getting bad financial advice from the start.
I hope that JJ can get his finances in order and be able to prepare for his financial future.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
So Jack 'Minus Forver' Johnson really is a minus forever? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, this is sad. Very sad. The parents knew they were doing what they shouldn't be and did it often. Living through their child, sad, sad behaviour.

The good news to this is Johnson is still somewhat young so he should have another several years to pull back out of this. But he must be scary ****less of getting any significant injury. An early retirement before he's able to pay that debt off could be a life sentence.

This goes to show you that there needs to be better supports put in place for gifted athletes. The blind faith Johnson showed, even if it was his own parents, is incredibly misguided and someone should have told him from day one the basic do's and don'ts when it comes to smart financial management. Signing away your own authority over your own bank account should be the number one don't.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I was just reading this too.
I feel for him, it is almost lucky that this happened while he still has a lot of years left to make some $$.
Had he declared in the last few years of his career he would be screwed.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Good thing he finished his schooling. At least he had his wits about him there. Poor kid, that kinda personal stuff can have a serious effect on his play on the ice.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Abysmal parenting and despicable actions. She instantly borrows half his future earnings, before taxes, in high interest loans? What the hell? Not only that, she doesn't do anything worthwhile with it other than upgrade their home, buy expensive cars, and travels with it... Just asinine. I feel very sorry for Jack, though I am not sure how he couldn't see it or be more involved. I mean, I guess we all trust our mothers, but to give them power of attorney over our lives and just ignore what they do with it seems a little reckless. Very sad situation, and crazy that it has come to this, to become victim of your own parents' greed...

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I can't really blame the guy at all. He basically trusted the two people he should be able to depend on, and they let him down (understatement of the year).

This ought to turn him off a little bit from their meddling, one would think. Plus he's still got some hockey left in him to fix what they did. Silver lining's, I suppose.

Last edited:

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
What a rough situation to be in. I hope everything is okay. I have always like the guy. Maybe he can increase his earnings through sponsors, commercials etc to offset the debt. In the long run, I think he'll be okay if he can keep his game going but that is rough, especially with family involved.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Once again, somebody else screws up and Jack ends up with the negative.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Remember that rumor that supposedly had Jack Johnson signing with a KHL team before the Kings re-signed him to a long-term extension?

Wouldn't shock me if it was his idiot dad who spread that fake rumor around in order for him to get more money out of the Kings.

He should have never let go of Pat Brisson as his agent.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sad. His parents came across as jackasses to me when he was with the Kings in interviews and the like. Hopefully he can turn it around.

I caught his Dad's act a couple of times at Kings' practices. The guy seemed to be an idiot.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's amazing he was able to focus on hockey with all that weight on his back. And how sad for his 16 yr old brother, trapped at home and knowing what his parents did to his brother. Since he's cut off the parents , you wonder about the effects on his brother.
It's hard to believe he was unaware of all that money being squandered. At least he's trying to turn things around.
He was foolish to trust them with that amount of money. Eric Lindros made the same mistake, hiring his parents to rep him instead of an agetn. Although the didn't steal his money, they did have a very negative affect on his career, meddling in EVERYTHING , causing a huge rift between him and Clarke and Flyers front office that really affected his career. They never let him grow up, insisted on doing everything for him and dictating what the Flyers should do.
Best of Luck to JJ and hopefulliy things will eventually get righted for him.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Just awful. Losing that much money ****ing sucks, but at least he will be able to make like 20 mill in the rest of his playing time. Its much worse finding out your parents are selfish ********

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->