Confirmed with Link: JACK JOHNSON BOUGHT OUT

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It sucks that JJ's parents are some of the worst parents of all time, but I'm kind of laughing here about the idea of a player having to survive on a strict $256k a year budget like it's some sort of hardship.

It’s absurd and sounds even more tone deaf now. I think the original article was all sad about him selling his Ferrari as well and another talked about him downsizing... to $2,500 a month rent in Columbus. What happened to him is awful but it’s all very detached from most people’s realities.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It’s absurd and sounds even more tone deaf now. I think the original article was all sad about him selling his Ferrari as well and another talked about him downsizing... to $2,500 a month rent in Columbus. What happened to him is awful but it’s all very detached from most people’s realities.

Yeah. But I guess I'd take being a regular dude with parents who care about my well being regardless of where I am in life over being really rich and having parents who look at you as a bank loan with shoes.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could retire today if I made as much money as Johnson made in 2 years with the Penguins. Hell, I could probably retire today on just the buyout payments for Johnson's contract :laugh:

Sorry, I don't feel sympathy for professional athletes. Not a chance.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah. But I guess I'd take being a regular dude with parents who care about my well being regardless of where I am in life over being really rich and having parents who look at you as a bank loan.

They cared very much about their piggy bank and would have cared even if it were a smaller one. Thank you very much.

It’s more the way it’s framed than what anyone would choose. “Oh no, he’s making a quarter of a million dollars a year” when that would be great for a tonne of people is funny but messed up. I don’t think that angle would be as well received today and someone would point him in the direction of OnlyFans, tbh. I’m also damn sure I never would have been that detached from my finances which still boggles my mind about all of that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They cared very much about their piggy bank and would have cared even if it were a smaller one. Thank you very much.

It’s more the way it’s framed than what anyone would choose. “Oh no, he’s making a quarter of a million dollars a year” when that would be great for a tonne of people is funny but messed up. I don’t think that angle would be as well received today and someone would point him in the direction of OnlyFans, tbh. I’m also damn sure I never would have been that detached from my finances which still boggles my mind about all of that.

I'm not trying to garner sympathy, to be clear. Only illustrate that money isn't EVERYTHING. Like we need to be told.

But you are so right. I'm not trying to shit on JJ here but I still have no idea how that happened. Seems awfully clueless.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not trying to garner sympathy, to be clear. Only illustrate that money isn't EVERYTHING. Like we need to be told.

But you are so right. I'm not trying to shit on JJ here but I still have no idea how that happened. Seems awfully clueless.

It’s not everything but it’s a lot. That’s what makes it tricky.

It baffles me to this day how it happened. It’s not even like he got screwed by a financial manager or bad investments. He just gave his parents free rein and checked out at ~24. I guess how shitty his parents are factored into it but I just can’t wrap my head around it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yeah, like I get in the abstract he got screwed out of millions of dollars and had his relationship with his parents destroyed forever because of their greedy selfishness. But he was still living at a level that literally 99% of America can't as a punishment, and that will never be not funny to me. :laugh:

I do feel really bad for the guy though, it sounds like his parents were unbelievably shitty. I'll bet they probably post here on the mainboard.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, like I get in the abstract he got screwed out of millions of dollars and had his relationship with his parents destroyed forever because of their greedy selfishness. But he was still living at a level that literally 99% of America can't as a punishment, and that will never be not funny to me. :laugh:

I do feel really bad for the guy though, it sounds like his parents were unbelievably shitty. I'll bet they probably post here on the mainboard.

The crazy thing is, some reporter making way less money was painting that picture. “Poor Jack, making, *checks notes* motherf***er, more than me is forced to live on $246k a year. That poor man.” The absurdity.

I bet they’re those people on Pens Facebook.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The crazy thing is, some reporter making way less money was painting that picture. “Poor Jack, making, *checks notes* motherf***er, more than me is forced to live on $246k a year. That poor man.” The absurdity.

I bet they’re those people on Pens Facebook.

There is no shortage of people, especially in this country, that feel it their duty to kowtow to individuals with large bank accounts.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It’s not everything but it’s a lot. That’s what makes it tricky.

It baffles me to this day how it happened. It’s not even like he got screwed by a financial manager or bad investments. He just gave his parents free rein and checked out at ~24. I guess how shitty his parents are factored into it but I just can’t wrap my head around it.

People tend to trust their parents, especially if they're un-savvy or undereducated. JJ got legitimately screwed by the two people who were supposed to look out for him at a vulnerable period in his life. That's the tragedy.

But tragedy + time = comedy, so... :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Shit, take a look in some of the threads here. :laugh:

Exactly. It's one of those things that has always utterly baffled me.

Yes... stick up for those poor, poor multi millionaires. They totally deserve it and are going to invite you to be a fellow rich person any day now, boy howdy.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
People tend to trust their parents, especially if they're un-savvy or undereducated. JJ got legitimately screwed by the two people who were supposed to look out for him at a vulnerable period in his life. That's the tragedy.

There’s trust and there’s giving POA to someone. Especially for someone with no health problems that would make it necessary. I always thought he was 19 when he did that, no he would have been around 24. I imagine they put a lot of time into setting it up but dear god.

The ridiculousness makes it funny in a dark way.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There’s trust and there’s giving POA to someone. Especially for someone with no health problems that would make it necessary. I always thought he was 19 when he did that, no he would have been around 24. I imagine they put a lot of time into setting it up but dear god.

The ridiculousness makes it funny in a dark way.

It's like Arrested Development but for hockey.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
JJ does not have clean hands in all of this.

He attempted to have his bankruptcy converted to a Chapter 7 which is a straight liquidation of current assets. In this desired scenario his creditors would have received virtually nothing. He and his counsel were eviscerated for this in a lengthy, written order by Judge Hoffman, including 40 some pages regarding the Debtor's bad faith.

Ultimately Johnson reached a settlement with most of his Creditors. He was put on a budget and had to pledge 90% of the final 4 years of his contract with the Jackets to his Creditors. They wound up getting ~35% of their money back. The Pens contract truly bailed him out. Prior to that being signed he was penniless and living on a fixed budget.

The 5-year deal from the Pens set him up for life and oddly enough triggered an additional recovery for Creditors of 10% for the first 3 years. Johnson therefore kept 90% of years 1-3 and all of 4-5 (less buyout lol).

I've understood this contract as a favor from Sid to Johnson from day one. The timing and amounts are just too serendipitous.

What’s the story with this?

I have heard it referenced many times.

But I have no idea what originally happened.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I have been trying to explain that to people around here for over a year.

No one... wanted ... him. It was a toxic contract that would have cost prime assets to be rid of.

JR knew he f***ed up a long time ago, despite any BS he was feeding the fans.

JMFJ was brought in as a favor to Crosby.

Now it can end I guess...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
$2,500 isn’t that much for a lot of people. That wouldn’t even cover a $500,000 mortgage.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
LateLegitimateBonobo-size_restricted.gif

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

Remember that Eric Lindros' agent was his father, and he did pretty well for him.

Also, shouldn't Austin Lemieux trust his dad? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad