Jack Hughes vs Suzuki vs Stützle

Discussion in 'Polls - (hockey-related only)' started by Jesperi Suzuki, May 13, 2021.

?

Who would you take moving forward?

1. Jack Hughes

29.8%
  2. Suzuki

11.2%
  3. Stützle

59.0%
  1. Habs 4 Life No Excuses

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I love Suzuki but it's Stutzle before him IMO

2. DevilsfanfromCanada Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This is dumb post for two reasons. You called Hughes a winger when he’s a center and you said Stutzle is the most dynamic. Have you seen Hughes play man.

3. sparxx87 Don Quixote

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I believe he’s better suited as a winger. If I’m a coach, he isn’t very good at what I need him to be good at without the puck. I think he’d be more effective with less responsibility. Let him stay in his lane and focus on offense.

Stutzle is the most dynamic.

Yes. As someone who always takes a particular interest in the top GTHL prospects (especially ones applying for exceptional status) I’d guess I’ve probably been watching him for longer than you, too.

Edit: Bookmark my post and I’ll bookmark yours. Let’s see who was a better fortune teller in the coming years?

Xspyrit likes this.
  4. DevilsfanfromCanada Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He literally controlled the play when he was on the ice man and had great defensive impacts. Also 2nd in the league in takeaways behind Mark Stone. What is it he’s not doing without the puck exactly? I didn’t ask what you take particular interest in and it’s completely irrelevant if you watched him more when he was 15 years old.

And okay bet

5. sparxx87 Don Quixote

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So you’re looking at shot metrics?

There is so much nuance to being a good centre that it’s pretty hard to summarize but the most simple is high IQ, anticipation and being able to play fluid but connected with the two d men in their own zone and the two wingers on the attack. Hughes isn’t even bad at reading the play but his size and lack of strength and physicality has him losing far too many plays that he was actually in place to make. He doesn’t ‘dig in’ like the other two so it makes the choice pretty easy if I’m being honest.

You questioned whether I’ve watched him. I responded with a yes, since he was a young kid. It’s very interesting to see a kid you watched make it to the league.

6. DevilsfanfromCanada Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Huh what plays is he losing that he was in place to make? His lack of strength and physicality didn’t stop him from finishing 2nd in the league in takeaways. He reads the play extremely well.

7. Arthur Morgan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I like all 3 alot
    Id prob have to go with Stutzle
    but I could be wrong there little early still.
    Suzuki looks unreal
    Hughes as him and NJ grows could turn into a beast too

8. sparxx87 Don Quixote

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    In order to properly answer your question we’d need to spend time watching video.

Since we don’t have that opportunity I offered you a bet which you accepted.

DevilsfanfromCanada likes this.
  9. Wierzbowski426 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    professional shitposter
    I'm your huckleberry.

Terms,

3 years who has a higher ppg average Hughes or Stutzle. Winner gets to pick the other posters forum avi for 6 months?

Open to negotiation.

P.S. Obviously assuming we are both still around.

10. UnfinishedBusiness The kids are alright.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hughes/Timmy
    Suzuki

11. Benttheknee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    While I think it is Stutzle>Hughes>Suzuki at this time, the gap is not so large that any one can be better in any give year.

Xspyrit likes this.
  12. ReginKarlssonLehner Let's Win It All

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Jack Hughes caught covid 19 last year?

I think you need the help.

13. ReginKarlssonLehner Let's Win It All

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Suzuki in a month will be 2 years older than Hughes and 3 years older than Stutzle. At 21 Stutzle can be one of the best in the league. I would be awfully worried if the player who was drafted 3 years ahead of the rookie in this poll is not the more complete player.

Stutzle actually does not. People fail to remember that Rossi, Lundell and maybe Drysdale were the guys who were dubbed most NHL ready before the draft happened. Sens fans and even press were split on whether he'll return Germany or play in NHL. A lot of Stutzle's success this year has been attributed to him being more NHL ready than some other prospects, which is just false. He just has worked his ass off and his strength was without a doubt his biggest detriment.

He was getting bodied off the puck left and right. In his exist interview, Stutzle repeated the words "get stronger" countless times when asked what he is going to focus on in the off season. Stutzle and Hughes' strength capability are not as far off as some are claiming. Plus, Stutzle has a larger frame and he relies on strength to be dominant in masking the puck, so it'll provide a significant element to his arsenal--as we saw him deploy it in the WJC against guys closer his physical level.

Stutzle can come back next year as an elite player. His determination is nuts. Guy can have a Stamkos like sophomore explosion next year depending how much he puts into his training/growth.

GARRIOCH ONE-ON-ONE: Tim Stuetzle determined to come back stronger with his rookie season almost in the books | Ottawa Sun

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    sparxx87 likes this.
  14. ReginKarlssonLehner Let's Win It All

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Agreed with this post. Do you think Hughes will be able to gain that much in one off-season though? I don't think it's easy as saying "he just needs to get stronger"; when I see Hughes, I see a frame that might not be able to accommodate that type of strength(or at least that quickly maybe in a couple more years) that some here think he can/needs to get to be elite elite. He strikes me as someone like Nugent Hopkins in terms of stature. Kane is about same size now and Hughes has that escapeability and can get that "man strength" like Kane did over the years but it's different from usage as a winger from a C.

For years, a lot of Sens fans were waiting for Turris to also put on muscle and raise his game to the next level but his stature just could not support it.

15. KovalSNIPE Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There's no way to not sound biased here, but let's real guys... Long term, its obviously this:

Hughes
    Stutzle
    Suzuki

You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

vtdevils2k and SJinNewJersey like this.
  16. WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Strategy / Analytics
    That's all I had to hear to end this discussion

Goomba likes this.
  17. Canadienna Sitting in a temperate rainforest somewhere...

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    These are three talented young stars.

Nothing is obvious. If that's your prediction that's fine, but to think that their careers are somehow easily predictable is asinine.

For as long as hockey has been a sport players have failed that were expected to succeed and players have succeeded that were expected to fail.

This thread is about making predictions, not statements of fact that insult anyone who disagrees.

The Gr8 Dane and sparxx87 like this.
  18. sparxx87 Don Quixote

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I’ll just remind you they’re a business.

With these numbers you may be comparing Taylor Hall with Nick Foligno and actually discover Anders Bjork is better than both. That one was funny.

19. sparxx87 Don Quixote

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I’m just not a big stat watcher. Player evaluation is an art, not a science.

..and under no circumstances would a change my picture :laugh: That’s my day 1 and my two favourite players of all time. Not happening, regardless.

20. Goomba Mario is a Devils fan Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Saying things like 'hughes was the worst on his team' just lets me know you cant even spell New Jersey, let alone guess what number Jack Hughes even wears.. because its obvious youve never watched a second of his play

21. Goomba Mario is a Devils fan Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So not only dont you watch Jack play but now, let me guess, covid wasnt even a big deal to you huh?

Imagine trying to discredit a player getting infected with covid and losing most of their muscle gains they made a few months prior

22. MrCraigAnderson Boucher Jr

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He was quite clearly talking about his rookie year, prior to the pandemic.

ReginKarlssonLehner and Xspyrit like this.
  23. Favin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I have never understood why Jack Hughes is so polarizing to some fans.

"He is a wing"..."can't play man's game"..."wide circles"..."can't play defense"..."depends on linemates"..."perimeter player"...

As a teenager, who was (generously) 160 lbs before covid, he just finished a season when he was among the league leaders in most possession statistics, zone entries, pass completion %, goalposts hit, end-to-end rushes, takeaways, numerous other categories. He centered a line with two forgotten rookies, on probably the NHL's 2nd-to-worst team, and brought them from obscurity and into Calder conversation.

If you are here making any of the italicized arguments above, he has already proved you wrong.
    (still accepted are: has shown a muffin one-timer, his face-offs need work, and could use a haircut)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  24. ReginKarlssonLehner Let's Win It All

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I caught second hand embarrassment reading this. You jumped so quick thinking you got me when your fellow poster was in the wrong.

Last edited by moderator Anglesmith: Jun 7, 2021
  25. Habano Brunet is a lawn puppet

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Suzuki

CristianoRonaldo likes this.