Jack Hughes, Taylor Hall, PK Subban: Devils a contender?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Only contender on NJ is Blake Coleman for nastiest fantasy pickup (... in hits leagues)

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Don't see it. Obviously they should do better with a better system. But not much better. The team just isn't built very well tbh.

Blow it up and build around Hughes and Hischier.

There are several big names that used to be greats but aren’t anymore. They create the illusion of a strong team.It would seem smart to go all in on the youth movement.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Until they get a decent goalie they are a pretender. I could see then fighting for a wildcard spot and that’s it.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Don't see it. Obviously they should do better with a better system. But not much better. The team just isn't built very well tbh.

A better system? I’m looking for *a* system. There’s no structure to this team’s game and it has been plainly obvious in every game they’ve played so far.

The team is built just fine. I doubt you had any qualms with the roster in September.

The issue isn’t the players; the problem is our moronic coaching staff that has no idea how to maximize the group they have.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
It's weird because I thought the Devils look great last year when both teams faced off in Europe. They were playing the same fast and aggressive hockey that got them into the playoffs the season prior. Not sure what has changed, but that team looked totally different early this season.

I think Hynes will probably end up getting fired. They'll go on a run with the new coach but ultimately end up just short of the playoffs. East is tough again this year.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don’t know. However if I were Devils I’d be careful with Hughes. He’s obviously got great talented but last night he was hitting ice hard on some pretty basic collisions/battles.

I’m not sure he’s physically ready yet — and not sure of need to rush him if he’s not.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Give the Devils some time. They added some solid pieces and once everyone starts getting comfortable and Hughes gets more experience they will be a good team.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Can't blame it on Hynes. That's the easy out. The roster just isn't very strong. The hype was not real

That’s an easy conclusion to draw from a bird’s eye view, but for those of us who have watched every minute of nearly every game of the Hynes era, you’d know that the only way out of this mess is firing him and his putrid staff.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That’s an easy conclusion to draw from a bird’s eye view, but for those of us who have watched every minute of nearly every game of the Hynes era, you’d know that the only way out of this mess is firing him and his putrid staff.
That's the same guy that thinks Nolan Patrick is better than Zacha.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
See, we saw a few "star name" acquisitions and assumed everything would work out. But the problem is....

- Gusev never played in NHL. Is he Dadonov and Panarin? Or is he Par Lindholm

- Hughes is super small and a rookie.

- Subban has taken a step back and nowhere near his Norris trophy days

- Simmonds is a shadow of his former self

- Hall is often injured

- They still dont have a goalie

- Hynes isnt a good coach

There were a lot of things that needed to go there way to even remotely compete for a wild card spot. None of which are happening.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I keep seeing all the fire Hynes stuff but as he just signed a multi-year extension that kicked in this season can they afford to do that?

I mean financially are they the type of team that can pay two head coach salaries at once?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
New Jersey is the new Edmonton. Wouldn't be surprised if they won the 2020 nhl draft too. And if there's one thing that Edmonton has taught us, a bunch of 1st overall picks means next to nothing if the team is built like sh*t. And that it takes time for those picks to really mature and make an impact in the league (McDavid is the exception).

So whether Devils fans like it or not, you're in the early stages of a rebuild, and it's going to take a few years before Jersey becomes a consistent playoff contender. Adding an overrated Subban, a russian who hasn't played a single game in the NHL, and an 18 yr old rookie doesn't qualify as a team built to contend in the NHL playoffs this season

And this is exactly what Taylor Hall said he didn't want. He wants to win now, and at his age, can't blame him. I called it in the summer, Taylor Hall is either signing in Colorado or Calgary

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
New Jersey is the new Edmonton. Wouldn't be surprised if they won the 2020 nhl draft too. And if there's one thing that Edmonton has taught us, a bunch of 1st overall picks means next to nothing if the team is built like sh*t. And that it takes time for those picks to really mature and make an impact in the league (McDavid is the exception).

So whether Devils fans like it or not, you're in the early stages of a rebuild, and it's going to take a few years before Jersey becomes a consistent playoff contender. Adding an overrated Subban, a russian who hasn't played a single game in the NHL, and an 18 yr old rookie doesn't qualify as a team built to contend in the NHL playoffs this season

And this is exactly what Taylor Hall said he didn't want. He wants to win now, and at his age, can't blame him. I called it in the summer, Taylor Hall is either signing in Colorado or Calgary
Great post.

If Hall goes to the Aves so will the Cup.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Thats what they said in Montreal with Therrien and his staff. Several years ago they canned him.....and they still stink under Julien.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad