Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by RonningMorrisonBooth, Dec 6, 2019.

1. We're doing some testing. Please do not adjust your set.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal It is what it is...

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Yep funny it happened that way, but I think it ended that way because of the injuries sustained from that accident...

Back on track though....... would be good to see the top 2 picks and how they ended up. Too much data for a HF post though..

This thread needs to be revisited in a year or two re: Jack.

2. koyvoo

koyvoo For Badgeholders Only

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    He certainly did, and as you can see from the posts above, still an underrated rookie season. He has a top 20 eighteen year old season for the e tire history of the league.

18-Year Old NHL Players - Regular Season Stats

It’s even more impressive when you consider that many of the names above him on that list played on much higher scoring era.

3. NJ DevLolz

NJ DevLolz Yung Jack

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Quinn is a year and a half older

4. Esq

Esq in terrorem Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Does anyone think Hughes will ever be as good as Kane? Maybe Kane is just a superior player.

hockeysack likes this.
  5. hockeysack

hockeysack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This just in Hughes isn't having as great rookie season. Guess we will have to wait till next season to see if he does better.

6. Terry Yake

Terry Yake Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    i think he'll be fine. doesn't help he's playing on an awful team

remember stamkos's rookie season?

The Zetterberg Era and BHD like this.
  7. Three On Zero

Three On Zero Oh Jesus!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Kids a bust, send him to Vancouver for a 4th round pick

8. pigpen65

pigpen65 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Saw him early in the season. Obvious that he shouldn't have been in the NHL. Dumb management in Jersey.

9. CpatainCanuck

CpatainCanuck Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I always wondered why there were never the same questions concerning Jack Hughes' size as with other players like Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. He could still turn it around and be a great player, and I'm glad Pettersson and Quinn fell to the Canucks, but logically speaking the same concerns should have applied to all three.

10. aufheben

aufheben #Panarin4Hart

SB Cash:
    $ 2,064,449
    Jack Hughes will be fine. Kid is stupid talented.

I mean that's definitely part of it. The Devils have had a disastrous year, coaching change, etc. Hughes has played like half the season with Simmonds (albeit also with Hall,) but he mostly plays with 3rd-line-quality players. Whereas Quinn is on a solid team, has been paired with a veteran shutdown-defenseman in Tanev, and is always on the ice with Vancouver's best players e.g. Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, etc.

Teammates and Competition, Jack Hughes 2019-2020
    Teammates and Competition, Quinn Hughes 2019-2020

11. SadEugeneOregonDonor

SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    He's also the first player to go from USNDP right to the NHL, isnt he?

He will be fine. Maybe not an above-average 1st overall, but he'll be a top player for sure.

12. LeonDraisaitl

LeonDraisaitl Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Funny enough you wouldn’t believe Draisaitls 18 year old season.

13. Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Really? How would you rank our top 5 defenseman and forwards? Since you know so much. I wanna be enlightened about my team. I'll be waiting.

14. Stephen

Stephen Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Home Page:
    I'm surprised Quinn Hughes turned out to be the good brother (to date). I thought he was going to have issues with his size and position more than his brother. So many little guys have come up and done very well offensively, I guess people gave Jack the benefit of the doubt.

15. Raym11

Raym11 Phaneuf sucks

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This is the problem with 1st overall picks. You're thrown to the wolves no matter what. If you aren't physically ready for the NHL, or at a level of skill thats already top 15 in the league, your development is rough. You are expected to play in the NHL immediately or else everyone gets in a frenzy. This amount of responsibility can have a mental toll if they aren't prepared for it.

Aerchon likes this.
  16. Day Man

Day Man Fighter of the night man, champion of the sun

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    He will be a #1Centre for sure.

17. LGBlues

LGBlues Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Hughes comments to that woman made me think this is going to be an American star of the entitled Kane variety or it may be more disappointing. It's all up to you Jack Eichel to be an American star and behave.

18. Emperoreddy

Emperoreddy Show me what you got

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Don’t let scoring two goals last night fool you. Wayne Simmonds inability to score this season has been something else, and Jack has spent a lot of time with Wayne.

I can’t tell you how frustrating it has been watching Jack set him up perfectly only for Wayne to not stuff it home.

Jack’s best play came earlier in the season, his advanced numbers were solid, but it was when the team has a whole was playing its absolute worst under Hynes. Hynes had the team playing as low event as you can play. They lost almost every game. Hall was extremely checked out.

they are playing a bit better and scoring a bit more since the firing and trade, but Jack seemed to hit the wall pretty much around the same time. Overthinking things. Getting frustrated.

long story short he will be more then fine. Kid is hyper talented. He just isn’t quite ready for prime time.

19. crowi

crowi Registered Loser

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Quinn is so slick when I watch him play. Perhaps it comes with confidence and time.
    Jack is definitely not there at this time.

Hope Quinn keeps his head up though, one big hit could hurt his potential badly. He does seem very good at avoiding them.

20. Aerchon

Aerchon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I always find it interesting the double standard against Oilers fans on these boards.

When Nuge was destroying the nhl, might have forced Lidstrom into retirement he undressed him so badly in his rookie year, a much larger group of hockey media and fans thought RNH should have stayed in junior. A very vocal group.

I had the pleasure to watch RNH regularly in junior and felt even tho he was so small he was just too smart and talented for Junior. Hindsight, as good as Nuge was/is I actually think he should have spent another year in junior.

There is no question Hughes should not have played in the nhl this year. On paper the NJD are better than the Oilers were when RNH was a rookie. They didn't have "that" bad a team. He just isn't good enough for the nhl. Adding a rookie of Hughes stature/skill was a bad move.

As for his future who knows. He is obviously tracking worse than Yak or Nuge but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say bust.

21. Absolut

Absolut Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Advertising, Legal
    Home Page:
    People need to watch Hughes to understand what his potential is. He is ridiculously talented. A lot more talented than Hischier, Kakko and a lot of other top draft picks. As a Rangers fan, it hurts me to say that. The Hughes boys have insane hockey IQs. Jack will get bigger and stronger. And he'll be a star in the NHL. Some people take a bit longer to physically develop, that's all.

NJ DevLolz likes this.
  22. Goldeneye

Goldeneye Hockey Bettor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Yeah.. as easy as it is to crap on the kid right now, this season probably doesn't really tell you anything moving forward.

Jack's going to put it a lot of hard work in the summer, Devils are going to come in with zero expectations next year and i reckon Simmonds won't be there.

Was he rushed? Yeah, probably. But what's done is done. It's not a death sentence for everyone and he can always see some time in the minors in the future if they feel like it's needed.

23. NJ DevLolz

NJ DevLolz Yung Jack

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    He has been ridiculously unlucky both analytically and by the eye test. He's going to drop 65+ points next year and people will be shocked

24. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Student
    I've ranked this guy lower than the consensus all the way back to his U17 season. It was clear if you watched him play that he only played one side of the puck, he'd struggle to play center in the NHL, and he benefited a lot from the pond hockey style in junior hockey more than other players with lesser raw point totals did.

At the same time, I definitely did not think Hughes would struggle to put up points this season. I thought he'd struggle in every part of the game that doesn't involve him having the puck on his stick. I was right that he'd be good in possession stats, so I'm not surprised there. He's great when he has the puck and can dominate shifts, but the lack of points is surprising. I thought he'd win the Calder because I expected 60+ points.

I think he'll eventually be an 80+ point player per season during his prime, but I can't help but slightly lower how I project his offense due to this season. I said he'd be a slightly better Kane pre-draft, and now I'd say a slightly worse Kane. Something around Taylor Hall's career offensively is how I'd now project his offense.

Saying all that, a lot of people bet big on this guy being the next star of American hockey. He was compared to Eichel and Matthews, which some of us said was laughable. Devils fans started attacking and requesting thread bans for fans with a lot more viewings at the junior level than them of Hughes game that suggested what the NA media was trying to bill Hughes as didn't align with the reality of how he plays. How about those of you who did this and berated others for months in these discussions admit you were wrong? Instead, I see a lot of excuses. No one wants to admit that what was portrayed by the NA media about Hughes was significantly wrong about his actual ability.

Dominance likes this.
  25. Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil Jerzey-Duz-It

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Christ dude, it’s obvious you watch a lot of junior hockey (a lot more than most people on here will probably admit) but get off your high horse once in a while. Maybe he wasn’t ready this year or maybe he should’ve been played at wing. Next year he could turn things around and then where are you gonna be? He still has some growing to do. You’re acting as if his career is already over.

HBK27 likes this.