Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft’s top 100 prospects:

"1. Jack Hughes — C, USDP, 5-foot-10

If Hughes hadn’t solidified his spot as the top prospect in the NHL draft before the under-18 world championships (hint: he had), then his 20 points in seven games, which made him the tournament’s all-time leading scorer with 32 and nearly tied Nikita Kucherov’s single-tournament record of 21, definitely helped. I was actually disappointed with how Hughes began his draft season. He was dominant but he wasn’t unstoppable. By year’s end, that had changed and he was the national development program’s all-time leading scorer (by 39 points!). Hughes is a brilliant skater who uses sharp edge work and a light stride to pull away from opposing players off the rush or break them down laterally with a quick cut. He can take over a shift with his ability to hang onto the puck and break teams down as a puck handler, or he can break open an otherwise unspectacular shift with a pass that nobody on the ice sees coming. Because of his ability to evade contact and win races, he also doesn’t get pushed around, which gives me full confidence that he’ll be an All-Star calibre centre at the next level despite lacking strength."

Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft's top 100... (paywall)

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

If Hughes hadn’t solidified his spot as the top prospect in the NHL draft before the under-18 world championships (hint: he had), then his 20 points in seven games, which made him the tournament’s all-time leading scorer with 32 and nearly tied Nikita Kucherov’s single-tournament record of 21, definitely helped. I was actually disappointed with how Hughes began his draft season. He was dominant but he wasn’t unstoppable. By year’s end, that had changed and he was the national development program’s all-time leading scorer (by 39 points!). Hughes is a brilliant skater who uses sharp edge work and a light stride to pull away from opposing players off the rush or break them down laterally with a quick cut. He can take over a shift with his ability to hang onto the puck and break teams down as a puck handler, or he can break open an otherwise unspectacular shift with a pass that nobody on the ice sees coming. Because of his ability to evade contact and win races, he also doesn’t get pushed around, which gives me full confidence that he’ll be an All-Star calibre centre at the next level despite lacking strength."

if i’m reading that correctly, it’s a coin flip between him and kakko

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
If Hughes does outperform Kakko, prepare also for the stream of protests that the USA team is far stronger, with more established NHL players. This will obviously be the only real reason that Hughes may do well - he’s a product of playing only on better teams after all.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
If Hughes does outperform Kakko, prepare also for the stream of protests that the USA team is far stronger, with more established NHL players. This will obviously be the only real reason that Hughes may do well - he’s a product of playing only on better teams after all.

Those seeds have already been planted. Kakko legit has the best life here at HF Boards. It’s never his fault because he is either playing against men or against “stacked” teams.

Reactions: Dafp and vtdevils2k

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Those seeds have already been planted. Kakko legit has the best life here at HF Boards. It’s never his fault because he is either playing against men or against “stacked” teams.

Yup...the seeds were planted weeks ago actually.

It has moved from Hughes is lighting up a "kids" tournament and Kakko will be playing against men/NHL talent......to Hughes gets to play with far superior NHL talent and will get free "easy" points versus Kakko who does not have a strong supporting cast and will have to do everything to help his team win games.

The "he doesn't play against men" narrative will offically die soon once and for all.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Yup...the seeds were planted weeks ago actually.

It has moved from Hughes is lighting up a "kids" tournament and Kakko will be playing against men/NHL talent......to Hughes gets to play with far superior NHL talent and will get free "easy" points versus Kakko who does not have a strong supporting cast and will have to do everything to help his team win games.

The "he doesn't play against men" narrative will offically die soon once and for all.
Moving from "he doesn't play against men" to "he's good because he played with men that aren't in the Finnish league." Delicious irony.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am super excited about the game tomorrow. Hopefully we finally get to see Hughes against men. If not at least we finally get to see Schneider against men. :sarcasm:
Me Too. Can't wait to see who his line-mates will be. I like to see him with Chris Kreider

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey

While not related to Hughes, I found his notes on Newhook/McLeod interesting (read: accurate):

11. Alex Newhook — C, Victoria Grizzlies, 5-foot-11

The thing about a lot of players who can burn defenders wide with explosive speed is that that speed can often work against them. They begin to rely on it and their instinct is to just turn on the jets whenever the puck hits their stick. For many players, that speed forces them wide into areas of the ice where offence is hard to come by. It was my biggest criticism of Devils draftee Michael McLeod. A skill only takes you as far as your know-how. You need to be able to use it. ...

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think there's a legit argument for Kakko being a #1 pick

What is it? I keep hearing people say that, but with no explanation.

When literally every professional NHL scout we know of has Hughes listed as #1, what is the "legit argument" for Kakko #1 instead?

I think the "legit argument" is a media fabrication to get web clicks & ratings. Similar to how everyone had Matthews #1, without even a discussion, then before the draft all-of-a-sudden there was a "legit argument" that Laine should be #1 instead.

Reactions: New Jersey

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What is it? I keep hearing people say that, but with no explanation.

When literally every professional NHL scout we know of has Hughes listed as #1, what is the "legit argument" for Kakko #1 instead?

I think the "legit argument" is a media fabrication to get web clicks & ratings. Similar to how everyone had Matthews #1, without even a discussion, then before the draft all-of-a-sudden there was a "legit argument" that Laine should be #1 instead.

I don't know man...I haven't seen either of these kids all that much but I have my biases...I see a kid with big frame, strong shot and powerful stride willing to go into the dirty areas or play with finesse and I am like a kid in the cereal isle pointing at the box with the prize in it. It is certainly a situation that deserves a conversation and further analysis I would think?

I'd be the first to admit that I am skeptical of small players and that I have been wrong a lot lately most notably with Johnny Gaudreau, Barzal and Alex Kerfoot...Never questioned their ability as much not believing that it would translate (as well as it has) in the NHL...Hell, When I saw Kane drafted in 2007 I said to a friend how is that kid going to survive in the NHL...

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I don't know man...I haven't seen either of these kids all that much but I have my biases...I see a kid with big frame, strong shot and powerful stride willing to go into the dirty areas or play with finesse and I am like a kid in the cereal isle pointing at the box with the prize in it. It is certainly a situation that deserves a conversation and further analysis I would think?

I'd be the first to admit that I am skeptical of small players and that I have been wrong a lot lately most notably with Johnny Gaudreau, Barzal and Alex Kerfoot...Never questioned their ability as much not believing that it would translate (as well as it has) in the NHL...Hell, When I saw Kane drafted in 2007 I said to a friend how is that kid going to survive in the NHL...

This is how Conte wanted Zacha so badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad