Jack Hughes first 2 pro seasons : improving, but still not 1st overall level

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I mean I don't really care what they think. Saying something like "Yes, Hughes will probably average 60 points easily per season for his career, but Zegras has the potential for more." as if Hughes doesn't is just straight up moronic.

Yea Hughes still goes number 1 and his potential is higher than Zegras. Funny how Hughes and Kakko are docked for actually being in the NHL and not feasting on lesser leagues.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How do you know I'm a fan of any team?

I have watched a ton of Kakko this season, due to him being finnish. And it is very, very evident he has such gaping holes in his game that he is never going to dominate the league if he doesn't 1) get a longer stick, and 2) learn to skate

Currently he is projecting as a middle 6 winger.
Well you're obviously not a Devils fan because you're calling Hughes a 60 point player long-term.

On a better team, he's a 60-point player now.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yea Hughes still goes number 1 and his potential is higher than Zegras. Funny how Hughes and Kakko are docked for actually being in the NHL and not feasting on lesser leagues.

Tbf Zegras was very very good in his time in the NHL this season. Still not a higher potential than Hughes and probably Kakko as well though

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You haven't made any points other than sorting by points on NHL.com.

Completely ignored the list of guys who'd likely go over him. Tried to pass off Zadina's production as more time while admitting Kakko gets third line assignments.

It's all pretty laughable. His defense tho. He stacks up against other teams' third lines real well!

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
In one offseason Kakko went from the worst 5v5 player by a mile in over a decade to a 5v5 positive with great defense. Acting like his offense isn't going to improved and he's capped out because he hasn't produced as an 18/19 year old and then a 19/20 year old in a wonky season where he had Covid is downright f***ing stupid

If the lack of production would be due to just things like linemates, coach, confidence etc, then I might buy your argument

But check out his games. He has the same exact problems he has had for years. He has refused to lenghten his stick, even though he has been told to do so since juniors, even by his local team brass like Saku Koivu. And it is very easy to see his lack of production is very much due to his short stick: his shots are much easier to read & weaker due to it. That is not going to change with any development until he changes that.

And his skating has always been a problem. And it still looks very inefficient, even though he is nowadays moving his legs more (but still nothing is happening, he doesn't move any faster)

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
If the lack of production would be due to just things like linemates, coach, confidence etc, then I might buy your argument

But check out his games. He has the same exact problems he has had for years. He has refused to lenghten his stick, even though he has been told to do so since juniors, even by his local team brass like Saku Koivu. And it is very easy to see his lack of production is very much due to his short stick: his shots are much easier to read & weaker due to it. That is not going to change with any development until he changes that.

And his skating has always been a problem. And it still looks very inefficient, even though he is nowadays moving his legs more (but still nothing is happening, he doesn't move any faster)

Obviously he had elite linemates and a great coach.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Completely ignored the list of guys who'd likely go over him. Tried to pass off Zadina's production as more time while admitting Kakko gets third line assignments.

It's all pretty laughable. His defense tho. He stacks up against other teams' third lines real well!
Yes, because it was a silly list.

The only one with a case is Zegras.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Well you're obviously not a Devils fan because you're calling Hughes a 60 point player long-term.

On a better team, he's a 60-point player now.

Averaging 60 points per season, or 0,73 ppg, would put him top100 since 1997, among players with 500+ games

There are only 9 guys going at least a point per game in that span for over 500 games. Guys like Bergeron, Kessel, Wheeler & the Sedins hover around 0,80ppg

I do not think Hughes is going be as good they are.

Perry, Pac-Man, RNH etc are around 0,73ppg. I think Hughes is going to be very close to RNH.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who needs a Top center or a top pairing D when you can have a winger that plays good third line defense.
I like how Seider, with 0 NHL games played, is a top pairing D but Kakko will be a third liner for ever.

Again, Kakko is being penalized for playing in the NHL which is just silly.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Free advice: when Rangers fans and Devils fans are agreeing that you're wrong, stop and think about it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I like how Seider, with 0 NHL games played, is a top pairing D but Kakko will be a third liner for ever.

I was actually talking about Byram but way to cram your foot even further down your throat.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

I mean these are the same people who would take Seider over Fox because the former might become a Norris caliber defenseman while the latter is already one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean these are the same people who would take Seider over Fox because the former might become a Norris caliber defenseman while the latter is already one.
Yeah but did you see how good he was in the SHL!!!

Meanwhile, the Rangers own the rights to the SHL defenseman of the year and every Rangers fan alive has him ranked below Kakko.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Devils fans being the most reasonable on a hockey-related topic. We are living in strange times indeed.

The level of scouting expertise in this thread is just astounding. How some of you are not directors of pro scouting in an NHL franchise is beyond my comprehension.

Anyway, I imagine Kakko (a.k.a. "The second coming of Ryan Hollweg") and Hughes will be feasting on your salty tears for many years starting from a not so distant future.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's a lot closer to top pairing than Kakko is to top line.
You say things like this and then complain that people dodge your points.

If you said "I am the eggman, I am the walrus" it would have had more relevance and made more sense than this comment.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah but did you see how good he was in the SHL!!!

Meanwhile, the Rangers own the rights to the SHL defenseman of the year and every Rangers fan alive has him ranked below Kakko.

You do realize that the award Lundkvist won was exclusive to Swedish-born players, right?

Meanwhile, Seider is one of the three finalists for actual defenseman of the year... Which doesn't include Lundkvist. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad