Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I think we'll be happy with Eichel this year. I think being essentially a one line team where that line ran through him hurt his production- cover Eichel and you win the game. Adding some offense on the back end and a guy like Johansson could help keep teams honest. I'm excited to see what he brings, I think 30 goals and 80-100 points would be a nice little optimistic target.

I want to see more than that. Those numbers are what he produced last year. I want Eichel to be even better

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

“As things are turning out, if Connor McDavid had to do-over again, he would have (probably) never signed eight years because it kind of looks like Matthews’ deal hit the sweet spot in almost every area,” an NHL team executive said. “He got almost as much money and he gets back to the table when he’s right in his prime, so he can lap McDavid in total dollars. McDavid is going to hopefully stay healthy and good, and then maybe he gets another eight-year contract.”

This is kind of funny in light of the raging from certain quarters over Jack’s deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Or the insistence out of Toronto media that Jack's deal is the reason for all of the other contract hassles befalling the league.
I've not see this angle?

To Toronto media there is only Matthew's than following in his shadow McDavid and after that everyone else is an afterthought.

Tavares is even downplayed in media compared to Matthew's and they are already turning on Marner.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Or the insistence out of Toronto media that Jack's deal is the reason for all of the other contract hassles befalling the league.

When Jack signed, a few posters on here were arguing the deal represented him pushing Botts around. That Botts was a moron for following Chia’s lead setting the market with McDavid+Draisaitl. Just wait they said until super smart Dubas deals with Mathews and Marner. He won’t let them set the terms. :laugh:

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Or how about the ridicule Peter Fish got when he said Jack took a hometown discount. Zero doubt that if he was a UFA Jack is getting 12.5-13 mil per x 7.

As for production I expect Jack to put up 30g, 65a,95 points. And if that is the case then that means Jeff Skinner is popping in a second straight 40 goal campaign.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've not see this angle?

To Toronto media there is only Matthew's than following in his shadow McDavid and after that everyone else is an afterthought.

Tavares is even downplayed in media compared to Matthew's and they are already turning on Marner.

It’s been brought up in other articles repeatedly, where they will sprinkle Jack and his contract in as some sort of benchmark in altering the market. It is the term on Matthews’ deal that shifted things, not giving Jack more than he had shown he was worth to that point. Players get more than perceived worth all the time, but we didn’t see the term shortened to guarantee second paydays.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It’s been brought up in other articles repeatedly, where they will sprinkle Jack and his contract in as some sort of benchmark in altering the market. It is the term on Matthews’ deal that shifted things, not giving Jack more than he had shown he was worth to that point. Players get more than perceived worth all the time, but we didn’t see the term shortened to guarantee second paydays.

Why the "genius" Dubas accepted that term on the Matthews contract...that is 100% why everything is so out of whack with RFA's right now.

So funny to hear that the Leafs are trying to make Marner accept seven or eight year now.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Why the "genius" Dubas accepted that term on the Matthews contract...that is 100% why everything is so out of whack with RFA's right now.

So funny to hear that the Leafs are trying to make Marner accept seven or eight year now.
Giving Matthews more per year than Eichel and for 3 years less term was crazy. I think his vision was clouded due to his team's relative success. If Matthews is more valuable than Eichel (which I don't agree with, but just for the sake of argument), it's not by nearly that much.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Giving Matthews more per year than Eichel and for 3 years less term was crazy. I think his vision was clouded due to his team's relative success. If Matthews is more valuable than Eichel (which I don't agree with, but just for the sake of argument), it's not by nearly that much.
The thing about Matthews and Eichel is, Matthews is pretty much the same player now as he was when he came into the league. Eichel has progressed a little bit every year. Matthews thus far has had the better career but I think Eichel could pass him as soon as this year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't really think the Eichel contract had much to do with why things went the way they did with Matthews. I think McDavid was the benchmark there, and it was one that Matthews's camp knew they couldn't really exceed. The other factor, other than McDavid setting a de facto maximum salary, was the CBA limiting term to eight years. I know the eight year limit has been in place since 2013, but someone like McDavid coming along was necessary to really test the effects of the term limit. Without the eight year term limit in place, the RFA market probably looks very different, especially since, of course, McDavid's contract would be significantly different.

I know RFAs seeking shorter deals due to term being limited might seem counter-intuitive, but look at it this way. You're Auston Matthews and you want a deal that rivals McDavid's deal. You know you can't realistically get a higher AAV than McDavid. You also, by rule, cannot get more term than McDavid did. Your only real avenue is to take less term to hit UFA sooner.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Eichel has a slightly higher ppg the past 3 years then Matthews. The fact we got him for 1.6 less per AND 3 more years is so sweet. If we can get the big 4 (Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner and Reinhart) signed together for 37-40 mil would be a nice piece of work (Eichel 10, Skinner 9, Dahlin 10-12, Reinhart 6.5-7)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Eichel has a slightly higher ppg the past 3 years then Matthews. The fact we got him for 1.6 less per AND 3 more years is so sweet. If we can get the big 4 (Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner and Reinhart) signed together for 37-40 mil would be a nice piece of work (Eichel 10, Skinner 9, Dahlin 10-12, Reinhart 6.5-7)

The market has changed. Dahlin needs to be sighed for eight years on July 1. Prices only rising.

Hated Eichel deal and I’m happy to be wrong. He’s locked down at a very low price on a relative basis — Marner deal confirms that. He’s tied up for his best years. He may be great post-30. Odds says no.

Reactions: Dingo44

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
end of this year dahlin will sign for 8x8

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

[Eichel also has one extra development year on Matthews. As much as I disliked Leafs fans continually saying how much better Matthews was than Eichel, he has outperformed Eichel at the same age every year. That’s narrowing now as Eichel gets comfortable with the league, but Matthews is a special player given his size (6’ 3 and 230 lbs), goal-scoring ability, and overall talent. If Eichel can switch from being a playmaker to more of a scorer, it’ll help the team tremendously, but as it stands, in a vacuum I would choose Matthews over Eichel for his goal-scoring ability ignoring contracts. With contracts, it would be hard to justify the extra 1.6 mm for Matthews over Eichel.]

Thanks to Chia, Eichel’s contract does look great. I think people are overestimating the Leaf’s woes though. They have their core locked up in their prime for a cup run. If they could get rid of Marleu’s contract, there’s no reason to think they won’t be able to dump other contracts to create cap space in the future.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't think I would choose Matthews in a vacuum. Goal-scoring centers are generally harder to work around than playmaking ones.

Reactions: Rasmi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad