Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Commenting that people think Jack is not a winner due to body language and that will scare off AV or Q.
Maybe? If either of those guys are pop psychologists and can read the nuance of body language and facial expressions. Besides, i don't buy the that crap. Vanek was one of the mopiest players i have ever seen in a sabres jersey and a lot of teams still coveted him. At the end of the day money and resources talk.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Commenting that people think Jack is not a winner due to body language and that will scare off AV or Q.
If you are scared away by the attitude of a player as a coach you should probably stay away from coaching all together.
But maybe Jack is becoming less of a lure, still got Dahlin though.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Jack finished with 28-54-82, career highs across the board. And not only did he miss 5 full games he virtually missed 6 since he left the Isles game injured after playing 2 minutes.

Still, 82 in *76 games is a disappointment since he should have easily hit 90+. He had a major slump due to his injury along with the entire team getting shutout multiple games in a row.

If Skinner extends and VO playing a full year along with Dahlin developing I expect Jack to score 90-100 next year.

Still, this season was much needed for Jack. This is the seasons we were expecting when he was drafted. I want to see a 30-60-90 type season from him next year with no 3+ game pointless streaks.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I am proud of how much he has grown as a player on and off the ice. His locker clean out interview was great. he was positive, honest, and well spoken. For those complaining about his leadership qualities, i am not sure they can see the forest for the trees.
He says the right things to the media. I still question him as a leader. I still go back to Lehner saying young players were disrespectful to the game. Jack was the leader of that group. I don't think that type of disrespect for the game changes. We need a coach that is a leader because it's not coming from this group.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He says the right things to the media. I still question him as a leader. I still go back to Lehner saying young players were disrespectful to the game. Jack was the leader of that group. I don't think that type of disrespect for the game changes. We need a coach that is a leader because it's not coming from this group.

Lehner, the 24-26yo (durig his Sabres tenure) who showed up to games and practices drunk/hungover ?? Yeah, I'll be sure to care a lot about what he thinks, and speculate wildly on my own from there.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Lehner, the 24-26yo (durig his Sabres tenure) who showed up to games and practices drunk/hungover ?? Yeah, I'll be sure to care a lot about what he thinks, and speculate wildly on my own from there.
No need to speculate. How often do have to hear about players not following the system?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
No need to speculate. How often do have to hear about players not following the system?
I've never heard a word about Jack doing any of the things that people I don't trust and who routinely get stuff wrong broadly whisper about on twitter - ie, those people never even say it's Jack to begin with, so I'm not going to assume it's him and then rail his leadership for it, no

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am just not buying it. Everything that I have seen from Jack, this season, points towards a young player who is maturing into the leader we all hoped he would be. A coach's failings are not on the team captain or the youngest player. A coach is supposed to command the respect of the team he is in charge of. It sounds like Housley had their respect, but his coaching was not good enough to tighten up the mistakes. There was speculation that there was a huge disconnect in communication between Bylsma and the players and somehow Eichel is the one that lead to his inevitable firing? No sir, not buying that.

But that's all it is. He said she said is speculative at best.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He is the last one who should be calling anyone out. There were a number of rumored party guys who are no longer on the team who aren’t exactly old too.

Reactions: oldgoalie

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Toronto Fan here...

The bloom has come of the Matthews' rose in Toronto. I thought Eichel passed Matthews by. Others are starting to agree.

While the Eichel comparisons to McDavid are painful in hindsight, and has been an anvil around Eichel's neck, at least you have someone who is Captain material and more than just an amazing shot.

Eichel is not perfect, but I would trade him for Matthews.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Toronto Fan here...

The bloom has come of the Matthews' rose in Toronto. I thought Eichel passed Matthews by. Others are starting to agree.

While the Eichel comparisons to McDavid are painful in hindsight, and has been an anvil around Eichel's neck, at least you have someone who is Captain material and more than just an amazing shot.

I still think Matthews is the better player, I don’t think Matthews has played better than Eichel. There’s something amiss in Matthews game that was there his first two seasons. He’s not attacking the puck, nor the net with authority anymore.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Toronto Fan here...

Matthews is more active in a 200 foot game, edges Jack in shooting, and beats 90% of players in ability to go to the net and finish.

Jack has the super-speed gear, and is a dynamic play-maker.

Superstar centers of 2 rivals, but very dis-similar in why they're superstars. I think overall they're even, but not really comparable because of the style differences.

Reactions: Irving Zisman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad