Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
By that I mean "Guy who won't end up in the Hall of Fame but would deserve a spot in the Hall of Pretty Good". Think of the difference between Mike Schmidt and David Wright.
That's Patrick Marleau. Patty is one of my all-time favorite players, but I expect Jack to have a significantly better career.

Member 308457

What Eichel needs more than anything at this point is a balanced lineup with solid veterans around him. There is too much pressure on young Eichel especially as captain, the way the lineup is now. If his line doesn't score, they lose, that's it. And they've done a lot of losing in his time here, which has got to be a big stone around his neck. After all, you look at him and he still looks like a teenager, such is his maturity.

Eichel's unique skating ability reminds me of a spider. When he gets the legs moving, everyone else seems to be going backwards. His electrifying natural talent makes him look like he's doing things effortlessly and sometimes he slides into this effortless mode too easily, especially when his teammates' work doesn't stack up.

I'm not sure where this Skinner thing is going and Buffalo might have to start fresh looking for another top winger to go along with Eichel/Reinhart. I can't help but remember Mogilny's last months as a Sabre when he had so many breakaways and didn't score any. He was traded shortly...different players express their dissatisfaction differently and in Buffalo these days, there's much to be dissatisfied with.

I heard Okposo say that Buffalo got too high/too low about their 10 game winning streak, which is a big factor why they are in tank mode now. That could be a veiled shot at Eichel's leadership capabilities at this point. He may be a tad immature to take an NHL team by the reins and day by day say the right things/do the right things to set an example for his teammates to follow. I wouldn't doubt that Okposo's observation is somewhat to very true, although I'm not sure I would have said it for team unity sake.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
What Eichel needs more than anything at this point is a balanced lineup with solid veterans around him. There is too much pressure on young Eichel especially as captain, the way the lineup is now. If his line doesn't score, they lose, that's it. And they've done a lot of losing in his time here, which has got to be a big stone around his neck. After all, you look at him and he still looks like a teenager, such is his maturity.

Eichel's unique skating ability reminds me of a spider. When he gets the legs moving, everyone else seems to be going backwards. His electrifying natural talent makes him look like he's doing things effortlessly and sometimes he slides into this effortless mode too easily, especially when his teammates' work doesn't stack up.

I'm not sure where this Skinner thing is going and Buffalo might have to start fresh looking for another top winger to go along with Eichel/Reinhart. I can't help but remember Mogilny's last months as a Sabre when he had so many breakaways and didn't score any. He was traded shortly...different players express their dissatisfaction differently and in Buffalo these days, there's much to be dissatisfied with.

I heard Okposo say that Buffalo got too high/too low about their 10 game winning streak, which is a big factor why they are in tank mode now. That could be a veiled shot at Eichel's leadership capabilities at this point. He may be a tad immature to take an NHL team by the reins and day by day say the right things/do the right things to set an example for his teammates to follow. I wouldn't doubt that Okposo's observation is somewhat to very true, although I'm not sure I would have said it for team unity sake.
Interesting take. Good post.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Agreed that I want more vet leaders that can actually play. We've needed more since 2015.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
2 games for a dude running face first into Eichel's back. Not surprised because Buffalo.

Larsson crosschecks a guy in the face, 2 games. Sabres player crosschecked in the face, not even a penalty.
Zadorov late hit on Eichel and he drove his forearm into his head/boards and nothing.
Obviously time to let up because Eichel gave himself up.
Antipin smashed into the boards face first and nothing.
Gudas headshots Catenacci, 0 games.
In a league where somehow players like Chris Neil never got suspended in their entire careers.

What is this the f***ing Mickey Mouse League? They punish star players this season and slap goons on the wrist. Eichel got the same amount of games as someone using his stick to hit someone in the head on purpose. NHL is going to go the way of the NFL for me and I just won't watch sports anymore at this rate. If they were consistent with their calls I wouldn't be so pissed but it seems to shaft Buffalo every single time.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I heard Okposo say that Buffalo got too high/too low about their 10 game winning streak, which is a big factor why they are in tank mode now. That could be a veiled shot at Eichel's leadership capabilities at this point.
You are reading something into that comment that is not there. It was a statement about the team, not Eichel.

I wouldn't doubt that Okposo's observation is somewhat to very true, although I'm not sure I would have said it for team unity sake.
Again, there's nothing controversial about his statement, unless you think any criticism of the team is a direct reflection on Eichel.

Other than that paragraph, I agree with your post.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
What is this the ****ing Mickey Mouse League? They punish star players this season and slap goons on the wrist. Eichel got the same amount of games as someone using his stick to hit someone in the head on purpose. NHL is going to go the way of the NFL for me and I just won't watch sports anymore at this rate. If they were consistent with their calls I wouldn't be so pissed but it seems to shaft Buffalo every single time.
I feel the same way. I love the Sabres but hate the way the league is run.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Not that he has a suspension on his resume I wonder if he goes full Oglethorp on the doo. That Kid n Play mohawk thing isn’t working.

Member 308457

You are reading something into that comment that is not there. It was a statement about the team, not Eichel.

Again, there's nothing controversial about his statement, unless you think any criticism of the team is a direct reflection on Eichel.
Other than that paragraph, I agree with your post.

You could be right.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
In my most effeminate and sarcastic voice.. we aren’t realizing .. “it’s a process” I wonder if Jack and pals are regretting agreeing to it.. I think he gets two tall tough strong players w One that is elite scorer..to protect them from the league scum and Boughner coaches and I pray the prospect pool and current team fight it out for real in camp .. And Vlad Beer League gets his passport revoked w Terry CIA/fed bis pull.. Apparently I’ll sell my soul the watch decent hockey w a playoff cherry..

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
That’s really disappointing in a year where 95 points should have been very attainable.

In a year of an offense explosion, and at one point, being on pace, it's really disheartening to see him drop off the pace so badly.

For the first 37 games of the season (about half of the year): 106 point pace 10-3-18 to 12-22-18
For the last 36 games of the season (up to this past game) 66 point pace 12-24-18 to Present Day

Before the Toronto games he went 9 games without an assist, currently on a 5 game goal less streak.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
In a year of an offense explosion, and at one point, being on pace, it's really disheartening to see him drop off the pace so badly.

For the first 37 games of the season (about half of the year): 106 point pace 10-3-18 to 12-22-18
For the last 36 games of the season (up to this past game) 66 point pace 12-24-18 to Present Day

Before the Toronto games he went 9 games without an assist, currently on a 5 game goal less streak.
The whole team has been at a 66 point pace.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

It’s a tough situation to analyze.

You could take the standard Buffalo super fan and just say his team is bad. Absolving a ten million dollar player of responsibility.

You could say maybe that is just who Jack is, a roughly ppg player, who doesn’t quite have the full toolbox to be a top 5 player. Which is still awesome. Overpaid for the next few years, but still great.

Or, maybe the worst outcome for the franchise, the player he is when he is actually trying at full tilt is a top 5 player. A player who could win a hart in a career year of the stars line up. But, a guy who isn’t motivated to that level, the consistent borderline psychotic drive in and out of games, that the very best players have.

Body language aside, tho I think if everyone is honest Jack has never come across great in that regard, his best vibe being a bit of a dude/bro, it’s not great to have your best player/individual basically tune out three years in a row.

I know many will immediately defend him, the teams were bad, the playoffs were out of reach, he is young. I get that, but unfortunately the normal standards for young people don’t really qualify as the standard for the face of the franchise. Nor when you sign an enormous long term deal.

To be honest, Jack may well be hurt and that comes across as unmotivated. The ankle injuries could not have helped on his elc. But to the eye, without being in the locker room to know what’s going on, way too often he looks like he is going through the motions.

It’s a bummer. He could do so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad