Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Yes....

eichel_9.jpg

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't attend games often but Risto has been my go to jersey...looks like my 15 Eichel is a collector's item before it was even broken in.

Not even one game? Man that sucks. I had over two and a half years with my Eichel #15 jersey and about one and half years with my O'Reilly #90 jersey - both were purchase around Thanksgiving time that year. (Yeah it hasn't been a great seven days for me when it comes to owning Sabres jerseys - one guy changing his number and one guy traded.)

Being a season ticket holder though - I've had alot of chances to wear both jerseys to games the last few seasons. Unfortunately due to numerous reasons - some beyond my control - I've only attended 20 games since getting the Eichel jersey. I've probably wore the Eichel jersey a dozen times while the O'Reilly jersey only five times with the other times - before this season - I wore my Ennis one. So you could say my Eichel jersey was broken in while my O'Reilly jersey was just getting started.

As for Eichel changing his number - it sucks - its my favorite number as I was born on the 15th of the month so it was neat having a jersey with #15 on it. But if the number change makes him happy - well then its ok. I did get a over 2 1/2 year run with the jersey. Now will I get a Eichel #9 jersey? I'm not going to bite - I'm satisfied with wearing the #15 jersey to games. (Maybe in two years when the Sabres change to the orginial blue - I'll get a Eichel #9.) I'm going to see if one of my fellow season ticket holders that sit near me is planning on getting a Eichel #9 - so I use my Eichel #15 for good use and get them the $49 savings on a Eichel #9.

Now I "must" buy a new jersey though as I have no jerseys of any current Sabres to wear to games. (I do plan on being a better season ticket holder this season - at least attend 15 games.) I plan on getting two jerseys - either a Sheary #43 (if that is his number) or a Mittlestadt #37 and a Dahlin #26. One forward and one defenseman should be good.

BTW: If the moderators don't want this new Eichel thread flooded with Eichel changing his number talk - we could start a Sabres Jersey Talk thread or use the Winter Classic Jersey Talk thread - just need a name change there.

Last edited:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
If you really want something offbeat get an Eichel #41 jersey.

Or get a custom Eichel #9 on an AGH or Butter Knives.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
What changes in Jack’s game to go from his last two years, just shy of ppg?

I think two things are the most realistic improvements that could happen next year.

1. Sliding his patient glide as he enters the ozone, towards a more aggressive speed oriented attack.

Imo, far too often he goes into slow stride mode as he clears the first wave of opponents and takes on the defenders near the blue line. I appreciate patience, but with his speed and length, more aggressively attacking the defense would serve him better, forcing defenders into mistakes and creating more space from the back checkers.

2. He needs to be a top ten shot taker in the league. And he needs to be willing to do it more frequently on 2v1’s, 3v2, etc. He is almost always the best option as a shooter on the ice and greatly increasing his volume of lower difficulty attempts, over higher difficulty plays would give him a jump in production.

I have seen few players with his combination of size and skating stride, where he can create an open shot in the nhl, uncontested by a defenders stick.

The highlight goal against Nashville is the perfect version of what I’m talking about, cuz I’m too lazy to embed a video. And I’m not saying I’m expecting that exact play, but the bones of it are what I mean.

Ideally instead of Eichel coming down the wing slowing the pace and looking for a trailer, Eichel instead focusing on pushing the d back with speed can cut to the middle and get his stick free for a shot at the top of the circles with a goalie moving horizontal.

He does it from time to time, but with his build and skills that could be as effective as it has been for prime ovy, particularly with Eichel’s toe drag.

I think a big step for him will to show more creativity and coherence in his plan of attack. To my eye he still does fantastic with his raw abilities, but there is another level available for him.

I hope he spends the summer grinding on more combinations and isolations of defenders with more of a plan than just getting by the guy in front of him.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
What changes in Jack’s game to go from his last two years, just shy of ppg?

I think two things are the most realistic improvements that could happen next year.

1. Sliding his patient glide as he enters the ozone, towards a more aggressive speed oriented attack.

Imo, far too often he goes into slow stride mode as he clears the first wave of opponents and takes on the defenders near the blue line. I appreciate patience, but with his speed and length, more aggressively attacking the defense would serve him better, forcing defenders into mistakes and creating more space from the back checkers.

2. He needs to be a top ten shot taker in the league. And he needs to be willing to do it more frequently on 2v1’s, 3v2, etc. He is almost always the best option as a shooter on the ice and greatly increasing his volume of lower difficulty attempts, over higher difficulty plays would give him a jump in production.

I have seen few players with his combination of size and skating stride, where he can create an open shot in the nhl, uncontested by a defenders stick.

The highlight goal against Nashville is the perfect version of what I’m talking about, cuz I’m too lazy to embed a video. And I’m not saying I’m expecting that exact play, but the bones of it are what I mean.

Ideally instead of Eichel coming down the wing slowing the pace and looking for a trailer, Eichel instead focusing on pushing the d back with speed can cut to the middle and get his stick free for a shot at the top of the circles with a goalie moving horizontal.

He does it from time to time, but with his build and skills that could be as effective as it has been for prime ovy, particularly with Eichel’s toe drag.

I think a big step for him will to show more creativity and coherence in his plan of attack. To my eye he still does fantastic with his raw abilities, but there is another level available for him.

I hope he spends the summer grinding on more combinations and isolations of defenders with more of a plan than just getting by the guy in front of him.

Jack is usually one of the leaders in shots per game. In fact, in the three seasons he has been in the league, he has the 17th most shots even with the games he's missed (Evander is 8th). And he always looks like he's gliding because his skating is effortless.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Jack is usually one of the leaders in shots per game. In fact, in the three seasons he has been in the league, he has the 17th most shots even with the games he's missed (Evander is 8th). And he always looks like he's gliding because his skating is effortless.

I think a lot of people underestimate how much edge work Eichel's doing when he's skating. It's not that it's effortless, per se---it's that he's so good on his edges he can keep pace without wasting the energy needed to take a stride.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I think a lot of people underestimate how much edge work Eichel's doing when he's skating. It's not that it's effortless, per se---it's that he's so good on his edges he can keep pace without wasting the energy needed to take a stride.

Agree, Jack is one of the best skaters I've ever seen. I think maybe besides a couple guys, he has the most raw talent in the league.

6'2/210lbs, top 5 skater, an amazing shooter and playmaker, fantastic stickhandler, very strong/successful on the boards/down low in puck battles, and has a very high hockey IQ. He's everything you could dream of in a player. I truly believe that he's a player who's a higher compete level/higher tenacious level + an actual supporting cast away from putting together a Hart season.

Many times last season it was evident that he was the best player on the ice.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m still of the opinion he can be a Getzlaf-type or Jamie Benn-type of player but faster. He can dominate if he wants to. He just needs to get more mature in his play.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Let me tell you about the time, the one and only Cap'n Jack Eichel betrayed his brother in arms and best friend E. McKane solely for the colors he wore on his back.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I’m aware of his rankings. And I’m saying it could be a lot better. The difference between being excellent and being a Hart contender, because his talent dictates he could get there.

Don’t be obtuse, yes he has an excellent skating stride that is very efficient and doesn’t give the vibe of frenetic energy.

But he also glides a ton. It’s not even remotely in debate. At all.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I’m aware of his rankings. And I’m saying it could be a lot better. The difference between being excellent and being a Hart contender, because his talent dictates he could get there.

Don’t be obtuse, yes he has an excellent skating stride that is very efficient and doesn’t give the vibe of frenetic energy.

But he also glides a ton. It’s not even remotely in debate. At all.

What's obtuse? Saying there is no debate doesn't mean there isn't. Plus Eichel is top five in shots per game in the league right now. I also believe he has another level but it's crazy to not accept barely anyone in the league gets more shots on net than Jack.

Reactions: ZZamboni

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
What's obtuse? Saying there is no debate doesn't mean there isn't. Plus Eichel is top five in shots per game in the league right now. I also believe he has another level but it's crazy to not accept barely anyone in the league gets more shots on net than Jack.

The funny part about that statistic is most of us whine that he doesn't take enough shots when he has the opportunity to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->