Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Did he live up to his 900k salary this past season?
Sure and he also lived up to his injury riddled career. So far he's been consistent so let's hope he can elevate his game now being that he's worth 10 million as now there are better contracts in the league for less the cap hit while putting up in and around the same numbers or better numbers than he had put up so far.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Jeez I hope the Athletic is paying some of you commission. I bought it and Sabrebuild was right, that Eichel article was a fluff peice, I rather have my coffee for that day rather than an article that really said nothing other than confirmed what most of us knew that Eichel called Dahlin when he got drafted.

When asked about Sheary and Skinner he gave the generic hockey player quote on their speed and how we need that.

Nice insight Eichel. We all know what we need and they both bring more than just skating. What we really need is you to live up to your 10 million price tag this year.

If one article is no fun there’s like a 100 that are.

Pronman I think is writing a prospect pool list for every team.

For those who said our prospect pool has been destroyed, we are at least in the top twenty, reverse countdown style.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If one article is no fun there’s like a 100 that are.

Pronman I think is writing a prospect pool list for every team.

For those who said our prospect pool has been destroyed, we are at least in the top twenty, reverse countdown style.

Considering we were #1 in another list I have to assume Pronman has us at least top 3, and that's even with the subtraction of Cliff Pu.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Are you sure? Because this board has repeatedly said Murray emptied the cupboard!! They wouldn’t lie to me would they???
He obliterated our pipeline to get ROR, Kane, Bogosian and Lehner. It's just taken ~3 years of not shipping young guys out for quick fixes, trading those vets for futures, and a fair amount of luck to get that pipeline back.

Reactions: Fearnot

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Given that Dahlin and Mittlestadt will carry the Sabres prospects to a top 3 to 5 ranking, both could be true.

Most have Dahlin and Mittelstadt the #1 and #4 prospects in all of hockey. Of course, baring any crazy trades, unexpected prospect development, or huge steals with our three first rounders next year (or more!) I imagine we'll fall down the list. But that's OK - Pronman has the Caps at #31.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Most have Dahlin and Mittelstadt the #1 and #4 prospects in all of hockey. Of course, baring any crazy trades, unexpected prospect development, or huge steals with our three first rounders next year (or more!) I imagine we'll fall down the list. But that's OK - Pronman has the Caps at #31.

These things happen.

Whomever gets Jack Hughes will probably be #1 in 12 months.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He obliterated our pipeline to get ROR, Kane, Bogosian and Lehner. It's just taken ~3 years of not shipping young guys out for quick fixes, trading those vets for futures, and a fair amount of luck to get that pipeline back.

Uhuh. So does that mean he fixed the pipeline, cuz Botts has only been in charge for a year of the three you just referred too?

If you don’t mind, could you link an article to the Sabres having a bottom third of the league farm system?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Given that Dahlin and Mittlestadt will carry the Sabres prospects to a top 3 to 5 ranking, both could be true.

Which is the point. Murray didn’t empty the cupboards. Eichel and Reinhart did what we expect Dahlin and Mitts to do.

So where the cupboards bare, or is it just a dumb way for people to complain?

I mean are people really crying about Compher and the pick that maybe would have been roslovic, maybe...

Edit: and I hated the Lehner deal at the time.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Which is the point. Murray didn’t empty the cupboards. Eichel and Reinhart did what we expect Dahlin and Mitts to do.

I mean are people really crying about Compher and the pick that maybe would have been roslovic, maybe...

You missed my point.

Murray could have emptied the cupboard immensely AND the Sabres have a top prospect pool because of picks that Botterill made, mainly Dahlin and Mittlestadt.

You could take away every prospect acquired by Murray and the Sabres likely have a top 5 prospect pool simply because they have Dahlin and Mittlestadt.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Are you sure? Because this board has repeatedly said Murray emptied the cupboard!! They wouldn’t lie to me would they???

It definitely wasn't Tim Murrays illustrious drafts that got us that. Merely Botterill. He drafted the grand slam at 8 in 2017 and of course, Dahlin. Tim Murray not only bled us dry, he gave us the god awful 2014 draft. I am actually scared to see how bad he would have done if his first round draft picks weren't no brainer picks. He whiffed hard with Nylander. That's the difference, Murray finally got out of #2 and had to draft at 8. He failed. Botts drafted at 8 in an even far weaker draft then 2016 and he hit a grand slam.

Anyway, can't wait to see the C on Eichels sweater. A year late but it's fine. I truly think Eichel will elevate his play with that C on his jersey. And you can name all the lame cliches you want, but some times a letter on the front of a jersey DOES make someone a better leader.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The lemieux and karabacek picks killed me. I don't like nylander right now but I don't know how much I blame Murray for taking him.

Murray did seem to hit on asplund and olofsson at least.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You missed my point.

Murray could have emptied the cupboard immensely AND the Sabres have a top prospect pool because of picks that Botterill made, mainly Dahlin and Mittlestadt.

You could take away every prospect acquired by Murray and the Sabres likely have a top 5 prospect pool simply because they have Dahlin and Mittlestadt.

Ehh, idk about that. I don’t think a lot of people would say you have a great prospect pool because one guy was a 1 and ready player and the other is exceptional and will be an 18 year old nhler.

The depth has always been there. The high first round picks are seldom in the pool long enough to count.

I think the biggest perception issue about our prospect pool failing, is Nylander being a slow develop, but more so having nothing to show for Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching and Carrier.

The expansion draft happens, but to get zilch so far out of the other three really screwed Murray.

In an alternate development, if one of those three, not Carrier, had been able to jump in year 2 of Bylsma and been a 17-20 goal guy with speed or power, the conversation is different I suspect.

And I think if you asked nhl management would 1 out of BBF turn into a solid nhler by now, they would have said yes.

Definitely my biggest missed expectation was getting squat from them. Tho I think Baptiste will figure it out this year.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

at the time Zadorov was a prospect - you add Zadorov, Compher, Roslovic and BOESER and we have the best group of young players in the league. We most likely don't get Dahlin though, the unexpected horrible season we had last year very possibly could be the greatest season this franchise has had IF Dahlin is the player who brings us the Stanley Cup.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
It's been replenished because of terrible Sabres teams and good drafting by Murray and Botterill, although Murray may have blown a top 10 pick.

What probably contributed to those bad teams is we had no organizational depth because it was traded away and also poor drafting by Regier.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's been replenished because of terrible Sabres teams and good drafting by Murray and Botterill, although Murray may have blown a top 10 pick.

What probably contributed to those bad teams is we had no organizational depth because it was traded away and also poor drafting by Regier.

So what your saying is we never really had this amazing deep pool, cuz regier sucked and Murray traded picks. So he never really left the cupboards bare?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
at the time Zadorov was a prospect - you add Zadorov, Compher, Roslovic and BOESER and we have the best group of young players in the league. We most likely don't get Dahlin though, the unexpected horrible season we had last year very possibly could be the greatest season this franchise has had IF Dahlin is the player who brings us the Stanley Cup.

Zadorov was not a prospect. He was entering his 3rd year of getting pro games. His rookie year with us was a 60 game campaign. He was a young roster player.

Sorry if that’s picking hairs, but nobody will be calling Mitts or Dahlin prospects in April.

We just traded a Compher quality player for Jeff Skinner. Dime a dozen. And then you are into the ifs. Maybe Murray picks roslovic and he does turn into a good youngster. Maybe he picks boeser and he turns into a scoring machine. But he could have picked bums. Or a goalie. Who knows maybe Botts screwed up Hughes will be better than Dahlin.

My point is that at all times we have had plenty of ammunition for a big trade if they wanted to, outside of an elite prospect. Basically during the Bylsma stretch. Which is attributed to the elite players making the team, or in the more common case several guys who still might figure it out having slow starts or busting.

The framing that the team’s cupboards were bare is stupid, and it certainly was based more on graduations and a few player misses than reality.

If Nylander had developed like 90% of Mitts, or at least stayed in junior and racked up points, people are not freaking out.

It’s an illusory concern is my point. Much like djp worrying about the cap floor.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

Sabres prospect pool was rated first in the league on this site. Before Murray.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Uhuh. So does that mean he fixed the pipeline, cuz Botts has only been in charge for a year of the three you just referred too?
It means Tim Murray had established a reputation of selling young roster players, prospects and picks... for older and more established quick fixes. And there's no reason to believe after these last few years of ROR, Kane, Bogo and Lehner not working out, that he wouldn't have done the same thing again.

Give Murray some credit for making some solid picks outside of Nylander... but by leaving that group more or less alone this offseason and last, and continuing to add to it, Botts has already shown a bit more tact and patience than Murray. And I think that facilitating a better farm team will pay dividends.

We just traded a Compher quality player for Jeff Skinner.
The difference is Compher was a throw-in on the ROR deal... obviously Zads, Grigorenko (at the time) and the 1st were the haul there. Pu was the centerpiece for Skinner. That's a huge swing in terms of value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad