Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
But you are cherrypicking here. The vast majority of elite talents hit their peak within one year of 23.Bringing Simmonds into this comparison is ridiculous and then to mention LaFontaine's "peak" when it happened to be in an expansion year in which plenty of players peaked is ridiculous.

Look up the scoring in 92-93. Half the guys in the top 20 would never duplicate that again.

Eichel is at his absolute peak at 23. That's it. He can obviously still put up a ton of points, but we've seen his best and that was this season. It's a shame.
A peak generally lasts more than 1 year of age.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Couturier is a great player, but two years before the end of the contract, and then what? If he wants to just leave after two years, we will be left without Jack and without Couturier, this will finally kill us. There is either a more futures package with young controlled players, or a very strong player, but with a fairly long contract.
Any competent GM can take two years with Eichel, Couturier, Reinhart, Skinner, Olofsson, and this defense, and win enough games in that span, both in the regular season and playoffs, that we are likely not in a situation faced with doom and gloom at the end of those years

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Couturier is a great player, but two years before the end of the contract, and then what? If he wants to just leave after two years, we will be left without Jack and without Couturier, this will finally kill us. There is either a more futures package with young controlled players, or a very strong player, but with a fairly long contract.

a Philly fan came over and gave their offer. The only reason why Courtier is being brought up is because that’s the only primary piece/player from Philly that fits the hole left in an Eichel trade. It’s one thing to trade Eichel, but you need to fill that hole he leaves because that 2nd Top 6 center position is empty as well.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
a Philly fan came over and gave their offer. The only reason why Courtier is being brought up is because that’s the only primary piece/player from Philly that fits the hole left in an Eichel trade. It’s one thing to trade Eichel, but you need to fill that hole he leaves because that 2nd Top 6 center position is empty as well.
I understand, but I would not want to trade Eichel for a player who has only two years left under the contract, also we could get the center before or after trading Jack.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
But you are cherrypicking here. The vast majority of elite talents hit their peak within one year of 23.Bringing Simmonds into this comparison is ridiculous and then to mention LaFontaine's "peak" when it happened to be in an expansion year in which plenty of players peaked is ridiculous.

Look up the scoring in 92-93. Half the guys in the top 20 would never duplicate that again.

Eichel is at his absolute peak at 23. That's it. He can obviously still put up a ton of points, but we've seen his best and that was this season. It's a shame.

If we're just counting points better teammates can probably boost Eichels totals more than anything else. More pp time, riding the momentum etc

The point peak for an individual player isn't that easy to predict.

It wasn’t cherry picked. I honestly just looked up the first few players I could think of.

Read some of the other comments on this page, too. A player peaking offensively is hard to predict, especially on a team with as much dead weight as this one had. I’m guessing Jack will put up more ppg in the future than he did this past season, and be a more complete player. Judging when a player will have their best offensive season isn’t plug and play. There are many variables that matter.

We are in Eichel's "peak" years. I'd argue 22-25 is the "peak" of most high draft picks. The one thing Eichel has going for him is that he's a work out freak. He's likely going to come out of a 9 month NHL break looking like a professional wrestler. It's impossible to say "which" season will be his peak, but, given last season was his best yet, it seems silly to waste these years. We literally threw away a season for these seasons.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
what did he actually say

"I spoke with both Ralph (Krueger) and Jason (Botterill) about it and they understand the frustration and they're frustrated too," Eichel told TSN's Darren Dreger. "I'm not the only guy that's doing it, I might have expressed my opinion a little more bluntly but that's just how it is."

Eichel voiced his disappointment in May when speaking about missing the playoffs for a fifth straight season: "I'm fed up with the losing and I'm frustrated," he said. "It's been a tough past couple of months and a tough past five years."

The 23-year-old pivot believes the open line of communication is a positive thing and that everyone needs to be held accountable.

"I mean, I think if they don't hear that from guys then that's when you start to worry. If guys are OK with the fact that we're not winning, that we're not putting ourselves in the postseason season after season, that's where you get to find an issue."

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY
This is a pretty cool stat from this article on the Athletic: Steve Valiquette on the NHL's latest trends and why GMs...

'"I’ll share a couple of the conversations I’ve had. Auston Matthews, he had 41 clear-sighted shots from the slot area in the NHL. Led the league. How many goals would you guess he’d have from there?

I was like, “11?” He’s the best shooter in the game, isn’t he? He had four. Four goals on 41 shots, and this is the guy I rave about on MSG about his release. But I watched those 41 shots just to be sure, and I see the goals he does score. He actually scores when he’s shooting through a defender’s triangle, he’s got a really good drag and pull, a release that comes off quickly and surprises goalies when he uses the defender as a screen. So that’s a tactic he uses very well.

But does he beat goalies clean when they have that all-important half second of clear sight? No. There were only three or four guys who stood out this year in that shot type.

Jack Eichel had 29 shots from there and scored seven goals — that’s 24 percent and he led the league. He’s one of those elite snipers who can look at a goalie and beat him clean.'

Reactions: sufferer

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Him and Olofsson on PP1 with Dahlin is unfair lol. Wait until the swedes get some more experience, and pray they get more creative on the first unit.

That's Eichel though, a big and fast C who can score goals and set his linemates up with the best of them.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
First, I am not saying Eichel is the best player in the game.

BUT I am saying he has the best tool set in the game. Skating, I think over distance he's as fast a skater as McDavid is, I'd love to see a goal line to goal line sprint race with giant cushions at the end so no letting up for safety. His shot is lethal as that Steve Valiquette quote shows. His puck skills are elite, his puck protection elite, nobody in the game today can hang on to the puck as long because of his strength, size, stick length. Elite playmaker, it's a shame many of his teammates blow so many of his setups, he has the full repertoire of passes - i think he could/should use some more touch on his passes, they are all lasers usually and some of his teammates don't have the talent to receive them.

Reactions: Smile Ivan

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
seems like no big deal there
I though he said something harsher given the overblown reactions

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
We'll find out the plan forward real soon.

Hopefully, finally, one that gives him some support.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
All they need is a big time playmaker to take pressure off. A second wave of 5v5 offense. This is where Monahan as a second line center is ideal. If he's available, I throw anything not named Dahlin, Joker, UPL, or Cozens at them.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Ea0uHfkXsAIM9fg.jpg

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
All they need is a big time playmaker to take pressure off. A second wave of 5v5 offense. This is where Monahan as a second line center is ideal. If he's available, I throw anything not named Dahlin, Joker, UPL, or Cozens at them.

you won't get a Monahan our scrubs. We'd probably have to trade a Cozens and a pick

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
We already have a player like that (and Monahan is not a player like that anyways)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad