Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I think Anaheim can make a deal without Zegras, but it isn't going to based on Rakell and Lindholm, or at least for Buffalo's sake it shouldn't be.
While that may be the case, the question remains why even trade Eichel when the other team's best prospects aren't available. Now people are saying the likes of Zegras, Erikson Ek, Kakko are off the table? Seriously? Guess what, then no five years of prime Eichel for you.
Gibson is signed to a long term below market deal. And the other players, which could be part of a package not the centerpieces, have reasonable contracts IF Buffalo wants to compete next year. As I said, there would have to be other pieces (and possibly a bad contract like Okposo going the other way), but those guys do help Buffalo next year IF that is a goal.

Skinner is pretty close to untradeable unless you package him with Eichel and don't expect much back. Good luck with that

Fair enough. I'll leave you to your angst.
Why would I be afraid? Just annoyed by people trying to push their own team's interests down another fan bases throat by trying to pass them off as a good strategy for the other team. Or lecturing another fan base on what's best for their team. It just makes discussing hockey less enjoyable. And if you absolutely have to do it, there's the trade board for that.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Elliott Friedman said more than a few times on the Instigators today that he believes it will be up to Jack Eichel and his next team that will decide the best way forward for his neck :popcorn:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Elliott Friedman said more than a few times on the Instigators today that he believes it will be up to Jack Eichel and his next team that will decide the best way forward for his neck :popcorn:

Which is an odd comment to make because he's in the middle of therapy now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He also said this is NEW surgery that no one in the NHL has ever had. Not sure if that is good or bad.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Friedman has been playing the Eichel needs a trade card for months now. I assume he’s just greasing the gears for Eichel’s agent. A trade is not happening in the next 2-3 weeks, so it’s asinine to assume that the next team will determine the next steps.

Reactions: Punished ROR

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Trying to think of comparable players traded and it brought me to Joe Thornton. Yikes. But the Bruins became a better team because of it, even though they gave him away for nothing.
the also survived the Seguin trade and made the dumbest selections & moves in the 2015 first round (they even traded up to pick 13,14,15 for 2 nobdies & deBrusk to miss on Barzal)

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'm super depressed that it's come to this but it's time. That being said, Adams should be putting it out in the airwaves that he will not be lowballed and won't give in to weak offers. If team x isn't willing to part with one of their "untouchables" then move along. If LA wants Jack, Adams should push for Byfield. If Blake won't move Byfield, then no deal. If Anaheim won't move Zegras, then tell Murray to get lost. I am okay with moving Jack as long as we don't have to settle for a package of lesser prospects and picks. Eichel is a big time contributor and that much is obvious. Present a legitimate offer or no thanks. Please Kevyn, don't let them play you for a fool. Eichel's injuries will be sorted out one way or another and should not lessen his value.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
While that may be the case, the question remains why even trade Eichel when the other team's best prospects aren't available. Now people are saying the likes of Zegras, Erikson Ek, Kakko are off the table? Seriously? Guess what, then no five years of prime Eichel for you.

Why would I be afraid? Just annoyed by people trying to push their own team's interests down another fan bases throat by trying to pass them off as a good strategy for the other team. Or lecturing another fan base on what's best for their team. It just makes discussing hockey less enjoyable. And if you absolutely have to do it, there's the trade board for that.

I didn't call you afraid and have no idea what you're talking about. And I certainly didn't lecture you about what's best for your team - in fact I specifically asked what Buffalo was looking for (rebuild v. current players). But other than that, you're doing great here.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm super depressed that it's come to this but it's time. That being said, Adams should be putting it out in the airwaves that he will not be lowballed and won't give in to weak offers. If team x isn't willing to part with one of their "untouchables" then move along. If LA wants Jack, Adams should push for Byfield. If Blake won't move Byfield, then no deal. If Anaheim won't move Zegras, then tell Murray to get lost. I am okay with moving Jack as long as we don't have to settle for a package of lesser prospects and picks. Eichel is a big time contributor and that much is obvious. Present a legitimate offer or no thanks. Please Kevyn, don't let them play you for a fool. Eichel's injuries will be sorted out one way or another and should not lessen his value.
Adams needs to be flexible, but not give up cheaply. I like Turcotte for example, he is rumored to be the leader in the dressing room and is still a cool prospect. Perhaps Byfield will be a more productive player, but in projection there is not that much difference and Turcotte may well be an excellent two-way player. Adams needs to think about how to make the best pool of prospects in the NHL and build the right team with the kids and the right veterans.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Adams needs to be flexible, but not give up cheaply. I like Turcotte for example, he is rumored to be the leader in the dressing room and is still a cool prospect. Perhaps Byfield will be a more productive player, but in projection there is not that much difference and Turcotte may well be an excellent two-way player. Adams needs to think about how to make the best pool of prospects in the NHL and build the right team with the kids and the right veterans.

I liked Turcotte as a potential draft pick back then. I admittedly haven't followed him closely since then, but I've read that he's underperforming a bit. Eichel is a top tier center. If he's to be traded, I am holding out for a top prospect. While still an intriguing prospect, I'd set my sights higher than Turcotte as a centerpiece. At this point we know Eichel may prefer to be traded. At the end of the day Adams isn't obligated to move him and shouldn't until the right offer is made. Obviously you don't want to play with fire and add toxicity to the current environment by forcing Eichel to stay around, but this franchise can't afford another Botterill-esque fleecing, especially not for a player as talented as Jack.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
When comparing the two you're looking at floor vice ceiling. In a perfect world Byfield is the everything 1C but he could easily end up as a wing, while Turcotte has a 2/3C floor but not close to Byfield's ceiling

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
People forget that at Zegras’s age, eichel was already almost a PPG center in the nhl...
Yes.

There are few top picks (in Eichel's case, # 2) who are coming in and setting the NHL on fire. Shows how rare the McDavid's, Eichel's and Matthews' are.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
the also survived the Seguin trade and made the dumbest selections & moves in the 2015 first round (they even traded up to pick 13,14,15 for 2 nobdies & deBrusk to miss on Barzal)
They were good when they traded Seguin.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I didn't call you afraid and have no idea what you're talking about. And I certainly didn't lecture you about what's best for your team - in fact I specifically asked what Buffalo was looking for (rebuild v. current players). But other than that, you're doing great here.

You asked about the Sabres needs, true, but obviously didn't like the answer when Sabres fans asked for a young high end C prospect aka Zegras in return.

That upcoming UFAs wouldn't work as center pieces for a young elite 1C with five more years under contract is something you could have guessed beforehand.

And "Angst" means fear. So you might wanna reconsider that condescending tone of yours when you're the one who uses words without knowing their meaning.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I liked Turcotte as a potential draft pick back then. I admittedly haven't followed him closely since then, but I've read that he's underperforming a bit. Eichel is a top tier center. If he's to be traded, I am holding out for a top prospect. While still an intriguing prospect, I'd set my sights higher than Turcotte as a centerpiece. At this point we know Eichel may prefer to be traded. At the end of the day Adams isn't obligated to move him and shouldn't until the right offer is made. Obviously you don't want to play with fire and add toxicity to the current environment by forcing Eichel to stay around, but this franchise can't afford another Botterill-esque fleecing, especially not for a player as talented as Jack.
Well, he didn't have perfect linear development due to injuries, but he is still a great prospect and now seems to be developing correctly. It all depends on how you rate Turcotte. People are so delighted with Zegras or see the second Malkin in Byfield with its dimensions that it seems they simply forget and underestimate Turcotte. Although he could become a player no worse than these two.

If LA offered Turcotte + another good prospect (Kaliyev/Bjornfot) or a young player from the roster (Vilardi) + his 1st this year. I think that would be a solid base. This would definitely not be a robbery or a bad return, well, that's my opinion.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
When comparing the two you're looking at floor vice ceiling. In a perfect world Byfield is the everything 1C but he could easily end up as a wing, while Turcotte has a 2/3C floor but not close to Byfield's ceiling
Reaching the ceiling is not easy. I see Turcotte in the future as a good two-way center, a player with leadership and the right attitude, maybe a 60-80 point center like Mike Richards in terms of style and production.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Reaching the ceiling is not easy. I see Turcotte in the future as a good two-way center, a player with leadership and the right attitude, maybe a 60-80 point center like Mike Richards in terms of style and production.
Yes which is why a Turcotte vice Byfield wouldn't disappoint me as I'd expect more sweetners with Turcotte

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Sure, but if it happens it won't be because they traded Jack Eichel.
It opens up the room for Dahlin to take over. It's kind of similar. Dahlin could be the captain of the Sabres. Would we say that if Eichel were here? Maybe 5 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->