Confirmed with Link: Jack Dugan agrees to go pro, join VGK UPD: Signing official (starts 20-21 season)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Note it is not a "signing". My guess is they have 2 contracts drawn up with similar terms. One where he would play his first season during a resumed 19-20 season, and the other where he'll be a rookie for the 20-21 season. (Similar to other prospects who have "agreed to terms" with other organizations waiting for definite resumption or cancellation of 19-20 season.)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Thank goodness. Top prospects have far less to gain after a year or two in NCAA. Might be even more so in this situation because if they indeed get locked away in a single location he will get a chance to be around the club, have everyone see him in tough practices, and get eased into the professional life with a 24x7 experience. Then next season he figures to start at AHL but get some NHL time in as well.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Will be interesting to see what happens throughout next season when it comes to our roster overall.

Will Hague grab Holden's spot? Our forward pipeline is really clogged if Elvenes, & Dugan are ready for the next step. Heck, with Roy ready it already is, trades should be imminent, but who and how many?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Will be interesting to see what happens throughout next season when it comes to our roster overall.

Will Hague grab Holden's spot? Our forward pipeline is really clogged if Elvenes, & Dugan are ready for the next step. Heck, with Roy ready it already is, trades should be imminent, but who and how many?

I am not making any statements on who should be traded but they obviously have to be traded for futures only. This could be an opportunity to restock some of the assets they've traded away to get us competitive recently.

There's also Haula floating around who would definitely sign here for a good deal long term that could open up another player to get the team more futures and still leave a good player on the team and money saved.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I am not making any statements on who should be traded but they obviously have to be traded for futures only. This could be an opportunity to restock some of the assets they've traded away to get us competitive recently.

There's also Haula floating around who would definitely sign here for a good deal long term that could open up another player to get the team more futures and still leave a good player on the team and money saved.
Bringing in Haula, especially long-term, would be a pretty baffling move. Our forward pipeline is clogged and swapping one player with an UFA does nothing to help it, no matter if we have already traded away 1 player.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Pending UFAs include: Dansk, Lehner, Sparks; Engelland, Megna, Merrill; Mackenzie, Nosek, Reaves, Zykov

Pending RFAs include: Lernout, Schuldt; Cousins, Duke, Kolesar, Quinney, Stephenson

AHL free agents: Tye McGinn, Jermaine Loewen

Currently under contract (beyond this season):

2 goalies
11 D
21+Dugan F

2 on AHL deals.

You're nominally looking for 5+ goalies, 14+ D, 25+ F.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Bringing in Haula, especially long-term, would be a pretty baffling move. Our forward pipeline is clogged and swapping one player with an UFA does nothing to help it, no matter if we have already traded away 1 player.

I think clogged is too much, as Elvenes and Dugan haven't proven anything really and both slowed from their beginning hot streaks.

Dugan especially was on pace to double his total, and after was still on pace to beat Gaudreau for a while until he fell back to earth and didn't even finish top 3 in Hobey Baker voting.

Krebs obviously we would hope and Morozov at some point but I wouldn't call our future at forward as stacked or clogged.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think clogged is too much, as Elvenes and Dugan haven't proven anything really and both slowed from their beginning hot streaks.

Dugan especially was on pace to double his total, and after was still on pace to beat Gaudreau for a while until he fell back to earth and didn't even finish top 3 in Hobey Baker voting.

Krebs obviously we would hope and Morozov at some point but I wouldn't call our future at forward as stacked or clogged.
There's a lot to your comment and I disagree with a lot in the first two sentences. First: Dugan not finishing top 3 in Hobey Baker voting is a disgrace to the voting process. Him not even finishing top-3 has made me realize what a load of bull Hobey Baker really is, and lets not forget Schuldt was a finalist, ha.

Secondly: Elvenes, & Dugan slowed down, so what? Dugan was on pace for the best season in 20 years, are you saying that because he isn't the next Gaudreau it's a disappointment? Because, what? He still finished #1 in scoring in the NCAA and it wasn't even close. Now, do I think he's ready for the NHL out of the gate? No, and neither does he. Lets go to Elvenes. Rookie in the AHL, was on pace to finish #1 in the league. Oh wait he slowed down, so he's a bum? Disappointment! What?

Now, lets look at our current roster without any prospects. We have 9 top-9'ers signed for next season right now: Patches, Marchy, Roy, Bill, Stastny, Glass, Stone, Smith, & Tuch. Now, we have Stephenson as an RFA so that's 10. We trade away, lets say Stastny and we have 9. Then there's Elvenes, & Dugan, who if one isn't ready at the start then one should be ready by the end of the season. And you want to bring in Haula, and not just that, long-term? No. We have no room for him.

Reactions: Kipper933

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
There's a lot to your comment and I disagree with a lot in the first two sentences. First: Dugan not finishing top 3 in Hobey Baker voting is a disgrace to the voting process. Him not even finishing top-3 has made me realize what a load of bull Hobey Baker really is, and lets not forget Schuldt was a finalist, ha.

Secondly: Elvenes, & Dugan slowed down, so what? Dugan was on pace for the best season in 20 years, are you saying that because he isn't the next Gaudreau it's a disappointment? Because, what? He still finished #1 in scoring in the NCAA and it wasn't even close. Now, do I think he's ready for the NHL out of the gate? No, and neither does he. Lets go to Elvenes. Rookie in the AHL, was on pace to finish #1 in the league. Oh wait he slowed down, so he's a bum? Disappointment! What?

Now, lets look at our current roster without any prospects. We have 9 top-9'ers signed for next season right now: Patches, Marchy, Roy, Bill, Stastny, Glass, Stone, Smith, & Tuch. Now, we have Stephenson as an RFA so that's 10. We trade away, lets say Stastny and we have 9. Then there's Elvenes, & Dugan, who if one isn't ready at the start then one should be ready by the end of the season. And you want to bring in Haula, and not just that, long-term? No. We have no room for him.

It is definitely worrying when prospects have a hot streak and then settle in to lower numbers as a season progresses. You want to see more consistency at lower levels to feel more confident in their ability to translate that to the NHL.

If we are looking forward to the end of the season then Stastny would definitely be the prime trade option. But there's also Tuch. Vegas is in a position where they can move on from that contract and sign Haula for cheaper if it appears (and it is very possible for whatever reason) that Tuch will not develop into his potential. They save money, get a versatile option for center and don't give up the points Tuch currently brings.

Dugan could even be a power forward replacement option when he gets his shot in such a scenario. Roy gets the RW power forward position in his place at a much cheaper cost and seemingly similar chances of filling the space as well as Tuch might in the meantime.

Beyond even next season, Smith is heading into a contract year and has been known to have hot and mild seasons that he alternates between. If he wants much more than he's making now then the team would definitely think about recouping an asset than letting him walk for nothing.

Marchessault is another if we are looking forward beyond next season they could trade, as they have been rumored to have not scoffed at trading him this season when they were considering RHD options. He has been good the past few seasons but certainly not untouchable.

Teams consistently change and we shouldn't assume that top six will be almost identical the next three seasons.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It is definitely worrying when prospects have a hot streak and then settle in to lower numbers as a season progresses. You want to see more consistency at lower levels to feel more confident in their ability to translate that to the NHL.

If we are looking forward to the end of the season then Stastny would definitely be the prime trade option. But there's also Tuch. Vegas is in a position where they can move on from that contract and sign Haula for cheaper if it appears (and it is very possible for whatever reason) that Tuch will not develop into his potential. They save money, get a versatile option for center and don't give up the points Tuch currently brings.

Dugan could even be a power forward replacement option when he gets his shot in such a scenario. Roy gets the RW power forward position in his place at a much cheaper cost and seemingly similar chances of filling the space as well as Tuch might in the meantime.

Beyond even next season, Smith is heading into a contract year and has been known to have hot and mild seasons that he alternates between. If he wants much more than he's making now then the team would definitely think about recouping an asset than letting him walk for nothing.

Marchessault is another if we are looking forward beyond next season they could trade, as they have been rumored to have not scoffed at trading him this season when they were considering RHD options. He has been good the past few seasons but certainly not untouchable.

Teams consistently change and we shouldn't assume that top six will be almost identical the next three seasons.
Why would we get rid of Tuch for Haula exactly? Haula has more injury problems than Tuch(he missed nearly as many games as Tuch this season btw), if your problem with Tuch is, is injuries, then remember Haula's knee? He missed nearly as many games from problems with it this season as Tuch missed in 3 seperate, isolated, injuries, and his career best season is worse than Tuch's, and his second best season is also worse than Tuch's #2. Not to mention he's worse defensively and is 5 years older than Tuch!

Very much doubt Smith will demand much more than he's currently making, there's a reason he, & March make the same AAV. At most he'd want more term.

And no, you don't care if they settle into lower numbers if their initial numbers were as good as Dugan's & Elvenes' were. It's not like they stopped producing, if you split up a season and first half is Kariya, while the other half is Wheeler(and combine the halves to make Connor), you don't look at the Wheeler part and get worried.

Not to mention numbers aren't the end-all when judging. It's about how they played.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Wow replacing Tuch with Haula. [MOD] I'm not even sure Haula would be happy with less than Tuch money, he's got one more shot to get a good contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Replacing Tuch with Haula is a bad move.

I am not against trading Tuch though cause his injuries scare me, but it would have to be a trade that makes sense.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Why would we get rid of Tuch for Haula exactly? Haula has more injury problems than Tuch(he missed nearly as many games as Tuch this season btw), if your problem with Tuch is, is injuries, then remember Haula's knee? He missed nearly as many games from problems with it this season as Tuch missed in 3 seperate, isolated, injuries, and his career best season is worse than Tuch's, and his second best season is also worse than Tuch's #2. Not to mention he's worse defensively and is 5 years older than Tuch!

Very much doubt Smith will demand much more than he's currently making, there's a reason he, & March make the same AAV. At most he'd want more term.

And no, you don't care if they settle into lower numbers if their initial numbers were as good as Dugan's & Elvenes' were. It's not like they stopped producing, if you split up a season and first half is Kariya, while the other half is Wheeler(and combine the halves to make Connor), you don't look at the Wheeler part and get worried.

Not to mention numbers aren't the end-all when judging. It's about how they played.

He doesn't have more injury issues, though they are similar to Tuch. I wouldn't call Tuch so much better on the defensive side, he isn't so keen on the backcheck too often. He barrels in putting his body on the line offensively (while also ignoring teammates.) He is only effective when playing more reckless with his body. So I would worry more about his play style causing more injuries.

I'm not so worried about Elvenes, he put up numbers and looked good in a pro league (although that doesn't mean he is necessarily favored to succeed either) but Dugan I am not near as confident. He's slow and has good size but won't be able to leverage that size the same degree he could in NCAA, playing in the NHL, and his production fell off so so much.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Do you think Dugan and his team listened to the Sinbin podcast and said I'm not falling for their trap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad