Tribute (Jack Campbell is my life) Jack Campbell Extreme Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He gave up a couple of bad rebounds early, but overall I thought he played great. Made some huge saves for you guys to keep it close. Always thought he was a legit goalie talent, seems he’s finally putting it together. Great pickup for you guys, should be your goalie for the next half dozen years or so.

Reactions: NastyKnies

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Didn't realize that Campbell was a 1st Round Pick.

There was so much hype around him. He was considered one of the next big things. He was like Dallas’s Tuukka Rask who failed to put it together and became their Justin Pogge.

A decade later it’s nice to see the Leafs reaping the benefits of him, because you can see in his mechanics why he was considered a highly touted goalie. He’s confident (and in turn the team has confidence in him), steady, and he doesn’t scramble/swim in the crease like a lot of goalies.

That being said, I’m not sure he is the guy to carry the load now and going forward. If anything, it’d be a 1A/1B situation where it’s a 47/35 game split with a guy like Rittich. I think I’d prefer a Rask/Ullmark/Mrazek/Grubauer UFA type with Campbell being the solid backup insurance. (I don’t see any of them being destined for Toronto this summer regardless)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He’s not why we lost tonight, he’s a good goalie. That being said it’s felt like it’s been a while since a goalie has really stolen a game for us.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Dude needs a break. He’s not used to playing this much in such a short amount of time. Especially when he’s been dealing with injuries earlier. He’s definitely our guy and we have to roll with him. Rittich was a perfect pickup to help share the load for now. Let’s save some Soup for the playoffs.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
He started shaky but played pretty well the second half of the game. The 3rd goal was bad though and resulted in the loss. Considering it was his 1st loss of the season I'm not too bothered by it.

I think they should play Rittich tomorrow (obviously) and against Winnipeg on Thursday. Then split the Vancouver games with Rittich taking the game on the 19th and have Campbell take the first game against Winnipeg. Then they'll obviously split the b2b.

A nice 3 day break after that followed by another b2b.

Reactions: nuck

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
He was bit too hard on himself after the loss at the postgame interview
Should be proud of himself for the great run

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Are we a little worried about our man Jack yet? Had a great run, amazing really and I was certainly encouraged he was ready to assume a 1 role. That said, some hesitation, because he has a reputation for being hard on himself, emotional, up and down, traits that are worrisome for goalies and perhaps a "tell" as to why he's never reached his potential.

Last few games he's clearly regressed. You'd expect a return to earth, so he gets some slack but also you can't ignore what we've seen. He's letting in bad goals, at bad times and he's noticeably more active in net, looks shaky, relative to the calm, square to the puck, economical movement, we saw prior.

It's an open question whether our goaltending can get the job done. Dubas did a great job getting a real backup at the deadline, but he is a question mark as well. Fred, who knows but those dancing on his grave may want to rethink, more options the better at this point, with Jack faltering.

Fingers crossed he returns to form and finally takes the next step in his career.

Reactions: MJK and Gary Nylund

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The all out attack by the media on Campeblls mental health is disgusting. Then they wonder why players never open up to the enemy.

Reactions: 93WrapAround

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
The all out attack by the media on Campeblls mental health is disgusting. Then they wonder why players never open up to the enemy.
This is very true.

On the next Bell Lets Talk day they should play clips of their own armchair diagnoses.

That being said, come on Jack, you can do it budd. Shake it off and get in there.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

I found this pretty ridiculous too. Since when is it their job to speculate on a player's mental health? It's interesting what is considered OK and what isn't. And while you may disagree with this tone or level of self-critique, I know damn well these idiotic media findings would likely be used to praise the players discipline had he not fallen into a rut. "What a superb game by Campbell, and it's amazing what sticks out to him post game was the lone goal he let in". Interesting that Jack's comments only started becoming a problem when he began to suck, from the timing I've seen anyway.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
What did I miss?

What attack?
Constantly mentioning his mental health each and every time he takes ownership for poor performances and/or for goals he felt he should have had is an indirect way of attacking him while feigning interest in his mental health. The loudest portion of the media also happen to be the same ones who constantly shill for Andersen. Now thats hes back on track the voices have finally shut the **** up about it.

They've now shifted to "but who will start game #1 of the series?". As if that 2 goal against performance in 30 AHL minutes doesn't answer that question once and for all. As far as I'm concerned wanting Andersen to start = wanting the first round misery to continue.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Constantly mentioning his mental health each and every time he takes ownership for poor performances and/or for goals he felt he should have had is an indirect way of attacking him while feigning interest in his mental health. The loudest portion of the media also happen to be the same ones who constantly shill for Andersen. Now thats hes back on track the voices have finally shut the **** up about it.

They've now shifted to "but who will start game #1 of the series?". As if that 2 goal against performance in 30 AHL minutes doesn't answer that question once and for all. As far as I'm concerned wanting Andersen to start = wanting the first round misery to continue.

I enjoyed this post.

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

thats horrible shame on the media. Jack is showing tremendous maturity and accountability for his mistakes. Even if they arent his own. This will only endear your teammates and win their hearts so that they give you their best honest effort when they know you are playing that night. As a fan, I have always been a staunch stubborn Leafs fan, but with such a standup guy and man of character like Campbell I support them +200% more. I hope he has one of the greatest careers in NHL history and we all remember him as one of our greatest goalies of all time next to Bower, Sawchuk, and Belfour.

16-2-2.

There's really nothing to debate here.

I would argue that the only debate is: does Campbell retire a future HOF and one of the greatest Leaf netminders in franchise history. Still early in his career but 5 years from now I wonder what he will accomplish. I havent been this bullish on a goaltender since Belfour and Reimer, and perhaps Reimer's team finishes in the final four this year...we shall see.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Good showing tonight, even if the .905 tonight is different than the .924 sv% he's running with this season. I anticipated this game being a back-and-forth affair with the quantity and quality of chances being given up but he quietly came up with huge saves. He's more or less been standing on his head these last few games.

Reactions: The Cobra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->