Post-Game Talk: Jack Campbell is a Toronto Maple Leaf. Leafs win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You wouldn't go citing the general odds at winning the lottery if you've scratched off 6/7 numbers and they're all winners so far.

This went over my head I guess.

I'm guessing you could go through that list and find clear specific flaws in the games of those goalies that explain the lack of opportunity.

Which ones. The ones who later became solid starting goalies, the ones that didn't or all of them?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This went over my head I guess.

Which ones. The ones who later became solid starting goalies, the ones that didn't or all of them?

The goalies that haven't had 100 starts by the same age and turned into nothing. I'm not saying we should be comparing Campbell to Tim Thomas or Hasek's development curves, just that there's no sense comparing to Campbell to guys who didn't get those 100 starts because they had clearly below NHL level size, fundamentals, athleticism, or mental game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The goalies that haven't had 100 starts by the same age and turned into nothing. I'm not saying we should be comparing Campbell to Tim Thomas or Hasek's development curves, just that there's no sense comparing to Campbell to guys who didn't get those 100 starts because they had clearly below NHL level size, fundamentals, athleticism, or mental game.

Right, got it. I agree. Goalies are voodoo anyway so I guess I'd say good luck predicting what will happen with Campbell based on comparables or WE. But at the same time, it's not like he's just another guy who hasn't made it by this age, there are definitely reasons to be excited about the possibilities here.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
an opinion as irrelevant as Campbell's first 70 games in the NHL. But sure, lets put together a 90M team only to play a completely unproven player.
Or play the goalie we know can't play at an NHL level now (or anytime in the past 2 seasons) just because he did a few seasons ago.

That's even better. Wonder what Cujo is up to these days?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gallagbi

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This argument always makes me facepalm, because NO ONE is a starter, until they are. And sometimes you have to play the backup for a while and see if he can be a starter.

Honestly, the fact is Andersen is currently playing himself out of a job in Toronto. People seem to have forgotten this is his contract year. How willing is the team going to be to commit to him for another term if he keeps playing like he has over the last year or so?
I would

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad