Post-Game Talk: Jack Campbell is a Toronto Maple Leaf. Leafs win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Campbell's career numbers are better than Fred's. To me it seems like he was just caught playing behind better goalies in the past. He has now emerged and I hope Keefe gives him several games in a row, not the one bad game and you're done plan.

Jack Campbell is entering his audition phase to the Leafs starting job. At 29, he could be a late blooming starter sort of like a Tim Thomas. He's got an opportunity and hopefully he runs with it and stays healthy.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Question of the day- if Freddy wants to be a Leaf and is willing to put his pride aside and sign in the 1.6 -2.5 range to battle with JC for starts would you have him back?

Would probably be tough not to as I might be hesitant of the other options available in that price range. Could be difficult to return to a team and compete for that spot after being the go-to option for such a stretch of time though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The argument is that Campbell can't be a starter, because he's always been a backup. I've heard that one from my father, immediately followed by the insistence that the Leafs should get Montreal to give them $10 million Carey Price. Odds that Montreal JUMPS at the chance to get rid of that albatross?

OK then. I don't agree that he can't be a starter, I don't want Price and I say MTL would jump at the chance to unload Price.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Jack Campbell is entering his audition phase to the Leafs starting job. At 29, he could be a late blooming starter sort of like a Tim Thomas. He's got an opportunity and hopefully he runs with it and stays healthy.
Well it use to be the saying the goalies took the longest to hit their prime. Forwards, then Defencemen and lastly goalies. 29 is certainly not old for a goalie.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It's possible, sure. But out of all the goalies who haven't even appeared in 100 games by this age, how many become quality starting goalies? Less than 10%? Less than 5%? Less than 1%?

Jack seems like a great guy, it's certainly possible and we're all rooting for him but for the moment, he's one gigantic question mark.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's possible, sure. But out of all the goalies who haven't even appeared in 100 games by this age, how many become quality starting goalies? Less than 10%? Less than 5%? Less than 1%?

Jack seems like a great guy, it's certainly possible and we're all rooting for him but for the moment, he's one gigantic question mark.

For me, it's not really about historical percentages but a former high first round pick who didn't get much of a shot the first or second go around. He's clearly got high end athleticism, probably not a lot of mileage on the body due to lack of play time and not much of a book on him. It will be exciting to see if he can build on this momentum and become a starting goalie. In the short term, let's see if he can go on a heater.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well it use to be the saying the goalies took the longest to hit their prime. Forwards, then Defencemen and lastly goalies. 29 is certainly not old for a goalie.

Campbell's definitely a little bit behind at 29, but better late than never!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Question of the day- if Freddy wants to be a Leaf and is willing to put his pride aside and sign in the 1.6 -2.5 range to battle with JC for starts would you have him back?

I'd do that, I think Andersen is a platoon goaltender now and at that price he's being paid like it

I just don't want to pay him starters money when I don't think he's good enough to be a starter anymore

Reactions: kb and uncleben

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
For me, it's not really about historical percentages but a former high first round pick who didn't get much of a shot the first or second go around. He's clearly got high end athleticism, probably not a lot of mileage on the body due to lack of play time and not much of a book on him. It will be exciting to see if he can build on this momentum and become a starting goalie. In the short term, let's see if he can go on a heater.
He's got such a weird pedigree.

He's a high pick with terrible stats for the next 5-7 years after his draft. If he doesn't go in the first round, he's probably not playing pro hockey now. He does battle his way into a backup gig, after bouncing between the ECHL and AHL in his mid 20s

Now he's got really solid stats over the last 4 NHL season.

We're due for a Tim Thomas, so here's hoping

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Depends on his playoff. If he chokes, he has to move on for both parties involved. He can't allow a back breaker like he has historically in key games.

If he simply doesn't play or works through those issues, you can keep him as a 1A/B

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Top ten save% in the NHL since the start of 2018 (minimum 3000 minutes played, 55 keepers total):

1. Bishop: .927
2. Kuemper: .924
3. Khudobin: .923
3. Vasilevskiy: .923
3. Lehner: .923
6. Halak: .921
7. Campbell: .920
8. Grubauer: .919
9. Rask: .918
10. Rantaa: .917

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yeah that's fair. I just think some people are going overboard and taking for granted that Campbell can do the job which is premature. I do think he has a good shot at doing it though, definitely better than historical averages would suggest.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Campbell's career numbers are better than Fred's. To me it seems like he was just caught playing behind better goalies in the past. He has now emerged and I hope Keefe gives him several games in a row, not the one bad game and you're done plan.

career numbers? hes played 70 games in the NHL. Hardly a career.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah that's fair. I just think some people are going overboard and taking for granted that Campbell can do the job which is premature. I do think he has a good shot at doing it though, definitely better than historical averages would suggest.

You wouldn't go citing the general odds at winning the lottery if you've scratched off 6/7 numbers and they're all winners so far.

I'm guessing you could go through that list and find clear specific flaws in the games of those goalies that explain the lack of opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad