Post-Game Talk: Jack Campbell is a Toronto Maple Leaf. Leafs win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sure they have. That's exactly what I stated in my post and you agreed. If you don't agree with that criticism that's cool but it's pretty confusing when you say you do.

People have also said that Fred is single handedly responsible for our losing streak. One player deserves 100% of the blame for all those losses. How do you feel about that? More fair criticism? Or are some people being irrational and unfair?

Yes everyone thinks the leafs would be posting shutouts every game if not for Fred.

For sure.

And then you claim other posters are making things up.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The "over the top" slandering of Andersen is really only a response to absurd defence of him since early March. No goal was ever on him and it was always some excuse like it was a deflection, or he was screened, blah blah blah. Never once did it occur to the Andersen Defence League that this could be done for any goalie and any team, and pointing out every giveaway or missed assignment on a goal against didn't absolve a goaltender of allowing a muffin or a bad angle shot to squeeze through. Hockey is a game of mistakes, Lord knows we capitalize on enough of them, but at the end of the day the goalie needs to stop at least some of those chances against, and it doesn't help that the Leafs skaters really were doing a good job of limiting high danger chances against and yet the few they allowed still ended up in the net.

The results did not match what was going on on the ice, so really criticism of Andersen is defence of our skaters who've performed admirably defensively and still have allowed the fewest goals against in the division despite this rough stretch of goaltending. Hell league wide we rank 10th in raw goals against, 9th in goals against per game, and 8th in shots allowed per game, and that's playing in the offensively inclined North Division.

@Zybalto did a good job of showing our advanced metrics defensively as well.

All Canadian division teams Defensive numbers:

Fewest Shots Against/60:

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Winnipeg
6. Ottawa
7. Vancouver

xGA/60 Ranking:

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Ottawa
6. Winnipeg
7. Vancouver

Goals Against/60 Ranking:

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Edmonton
4. Winnipeg
5. Calgary
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes everyone thinks the leafs would be posting shutouts every game if not for Fred.

For sure.

And then you claim other posters are making things up.

So you don't want to answer the question, why am I not surprised. I can only assume that you've realized that blaming one player 100% for a string losses is absurd but you just can't bring yourself to say that he doesn't deserve 100% of the blame either.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So you don't want to answer the question, why am I not surprised. I can only assume that you've realized that blaming one player 100% for a string losses is absurd but you just can't bring yourself to say that he doesn't deserve 100% of the blame either.

nobody blamed anyone 100% for anything. this is you making things up. Fred isn't responsible for every loss or every goal against, and nobody has claimed anything close to taht.

But by every measure and observation the following are all true:

1. Team offense has been very good
2. Team defense has been very good
3. Backup goaltending has been great
4. Starting goaltender has been bad.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I pointed to something this stupid fan base say Andersen never does in the playoffs. Steal games. Video evidence. Statistical evidence. NOW SIT DOWN.

Vasilevski's career playoff SAV% is .918. He won a cup with a .927 SAV% last year. Freddy puts up .922 and .936 in back to back years and hes the issue in this town. RIGHT

clowns in this town have to trade someone every year. Freddy is just the flavor of the month. Hey I wonder how Kappinen is doing in PITT, or Kadri in COL.....

ALSO, talking about your low lite reel.....every player has one. that is why career numbers matter. At the end of the day you are who your stats say you are.

LAST season Adrei Vasilevski had a 20 game stretch where he posted a .901 SAV%.
2 years ago, 3 of his 7 games were below a 902 sv%. We lost all of those games.
3 years ago, 4 of 7 were below a 875 sv%. Lost all of those. These are middling stats. Total garbage when under pressure

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I've avoided you on this topic because honestly, you are just being weird. You and basically everyone else agree that Andersen hasn't played good enough and we need to look elsewhere. There are a few crazy people who think Andersen is a jerk and everything is his fault, but they are few and far between, just like there are a few crazy people who still think he's good and it's all the team's fault.

But for some reason, you keep trying to drag others into defending the crazy people. Stop it. Just respond directly to those crazy people, and leave every else alone. :laugh: I think you'll find there's fewer of those crazy people than you think.

Reactions: stickty111

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
nobody blamed anyone 100% for anything. this is you making things up. Fred isn't responsible for every loss or every goal against, and nobody has claimed anything close to taht.

Nope. Not making anything up and it's insulting for you to call me a liar.

Just the other day, someone said that Fred is "single handedly" responsible for our losing streak. How would you interpret that phrase? It seems pretty clear to me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've avoided you on this topic because honestly, you are just being weird. You and basically everyone else agree that Andersen hasn't played good enough and we need to look elsewhere. There are a few crazy people who think Andersen is a jerk and everything is his fault, but they are few and far between, just like there are a few crazy people who still think he's good and it's all the team's fault.

But for some reason, you keep trying to drag others into defending the crazy people. Stop it. Just respond directly to those crazy people, and leave every else alone. :laugh: I think you'll find there's fewer of those crazy people than you think.

What can I say, I don't like it when people unfairly trash our players which is why I've defended many of them in the past including Reimer, Bernier, Kadri, Phaneuf, Nylander, Kessel ... the list goes on and on.

I also take offence when people accuse me of making things up like Zeke just did, if there's one thing I hate on these boards is intellectual dishonesty.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Just the other day, someone said that Fred is "single handedly" responsible for our losing streak. How would you interpret that phrase? It seems pretty clear to me.
other than hutch losing a game, that pretty well sums it up

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

I agree with most of this.

However, personally I'm pretty comfortable blaming Fred pretty near 100% for two of the losses.

Leafs/Jets 3/9/2021
.826, 4 goals on 23 shots.
Hellybuck was .923 with 3 goals on 39 shots

Leafs/Calgary 3/19/2021
.778, 4 goals on 18 shots

Both were 4-3 losses.

I'll compromise and say they were only 95% Fred. :sarcasm:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

If he's saying that average goaltending would have meant no actual "losing streak", then he's just stating facts.

If he's blaming fred 100% for every goal against and every loss (which was your dishonest claim), then he's wrong.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If he's saying that average goaltending would have meant no actual "losing streak", then he's just stating facts.

If he's blaming fred 100% for every goal against and every loss (which was your dishonest claim), then he's wrong.

Like I said, that one poster said that Fred is "single handedly" responsible for our losing streak. Do you agree or disagree?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I spent some time listening and I agree with him on most of what I heard but not all.

The goals he gave up on Friday weren't so bad - agree.
There are other reasons were losing lately, putting it all on Fred is stupid - agree.
Our PP has sucked lately is a big problem - agree.
Tons of stupid giveaways have led to goals which is hard to blame Fred for- agree.
Jack should start until he falters - agree.

Then not sure I heard right but I think he said something like Fred just needs to get healthy and he's the guy we'll be counting on or something like that - um yeah, I dunno about that.

Maybe Freddie can bounce back and still help us out this season, you never know. I wouldn't count on it at this point though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He holds 51% or more of the responsibility for it, he's the majority stakeholder of that streak.

See now that's completely reasonable. It's hard to put an exact number on it but 51% might be fair. To say that all the blame is on him though, that's just irrational.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Too many people in life with too many excuses
Leaf fans are tired of all da excuses for Freddy
I could care less what has save percent is
Bottom line is even if he was 18-0 this year who cares he is 0-8 when we needed him to win 1 freaking game ... 1 freakin game ... he could not even win us 1 freaking game that mattered to get us to a round 2
Loser man just a loser ... and he will continue to lose if we put him on ice for playoffs
We tried to trade him in da summer and bottom line no one wanted him unless they could get him for almost nothing
Next summer he will catch on as a 2nd stringer if he is lucky making league minimum at best or he will more likely play in Denmark pro league where there is no pressure on him

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So what you are saying is 4 of 7 Freddy was good. That is the majority of the games. Thanks for letting us all know how dumb you are. 4 > 3

Also Freddy only game up 1 goal in the first 2 games vs CBJ and the Leafs only won the game where he posted a shutout. Your dumb ass should be pointing the finger at loser NO GOALS in 5 games vs CBJ Mitch Marner.

2018-2019 vs Bruins
Freddy has ONE game below .900 and the Leafs still lost the series where Freddy posted a .922 in 7 games.

View attachment 411123
Sports is a what have you done for me lately industry. Posting numbers showing he had a good series 2 years ago doesn't mean anything today. JT had 47 goals 2 years ago and quite a few fans are not happy for some reason.

Reactions: kb and ACC1224

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The media wing of Andersen apologists are kicking it into high gear this morning. :laugh:
"Campbell has no track record as a starter!" unlike Jordan Binnington a few years back.
This argument always makes me facepalm, because NO ONE is a starter, until they are. And sometimes you have to play the backup for a while and see if he can be a starter.

Honestly, the fact is Andersen is currently playing himself out of a job in Toronto. People seem to have forgotten this is his contract year. How willing is the team going to be to commit to him for another term if he keeps playing like he has over the last year or so?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Question of the day- if Freddy wants to be a Leaf and is willing to put his pride aside and sign in the 1.6 -2.5 range to battle with JC for starts would you have him back?

Reactions: uncleben

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Question of the day- if Freddy wants to be a Leaf and is willing to put his pride aside and sign in the 1.6 -2.5 range to battle with JC for starts would you have him back?

I think he'd be hard to turn down at that price especially with the idea of him being a 1B But also depends on which ufa goalies would be willing to sign as a comparison

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sports is a what have you done for me lately industry. Posting numbers showing he had a good series 2 years ago doesn't mean anything today. JT had 47 goals 2 years ago and quite a few fans are not happy for some reason.

He was just responding to someone who brought up things from that long ago. It doesn't seem it's enough that we all agree Freddie's been bad this season, we have to back in time to blame him for all kinds of past sins as well. Apparently that's not enough either, we need to make up things that haven't happened, you know, just to make it clear how hated he is in these parts.

This argument always makes me facepalm, because NO ONE is a starter, until they are. And sometimes you have to play the backup for a while and see if he can be a starter.

Honestly, the fact is Andersen is currently playing himself out of a job in Toronto. People seem to have forgotten this is his contract year. How willing is the team going to be to commit to him for another term if he keeps playing like he has over the last year or so?

What were they arguing? If it was that Campbell can't be a starting goalie then of course that's wrong. If they're saying that it would be foolish to assume that he can do a good job as a starter, that seems accurate.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Campbell's career numbers are better than Fred's. To me it seems like he was just caught playing behind better goalies in the past. He has now emerged and I hope Keefe gives him several games in a row, not the one bad game and you're done plan.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
What were they arguing? If it was that Campbell can't be a starting goalie then of course that's wrong.

The argument is that Campbell can't be a starter, because he's always been a backup. I've heard that one from my father, immediately followed by the insistence that the Leafs should get Montreal to give them $10 million Carey Price. Odds that Montreal JUMPS at the chance to get rid of that albatross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->